Anyone find they are baking fall birdie bread with this crazy weather!?

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
So, made birdie bread the other day and realize I was completely influenced by Mother Nature's refusal to allow spring to arrive... We had quite a bit of snow last week and again last night another several inches.

I needed to make tea bread to have for Ivory with hormone season (has red raspberry leaf in it so excellent source of calcium for her and healthy for females of all species from bird to human)... but instead of making something more spring or summery, found myself pulling out all the fall spices and such ended up making a pumpkin bread with fresh ground cinnamon and anise stars, but did add a pint of fresh blueberries (obviously not locally grown!). Did not realize it til it was baking and it reminded me of pumpkin pie and I laughed at myself that I felt more like fall just started instead of spring!

I use ground up pellets and left over mix in my birdie breads, recycling at its finest!! Here is a short video of Max helping me 'sort' mix, picking out shells and any pumpkin seeds. He is always so interested, like he is missing out on something, when it is his leftovers!! Guess there is always a chance he'll find a pine nut he missed in the food bowl :)

Bread does smell yummy.. Max and Ivory both approve, but I think Titan tossed one piece I gave him, but think he saw me put it in his bowl and he threw it just to be a jerk. Yeah, hurt my feelings :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNTnRdJj740"]Max sorting mix - YouTube[/ame]

57VYxa4.jpg

C6IU61I.jpg

1Dam8RT.jpg

OGZorib.jpg

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Looks good! Lucky [colorful] ducks:D But no, a loaf of birdie bread lasts so long around here with one bird, we're still on the loaf I baked back in middle February (frozen, of course!).

OP
jenphilly

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Looks good! Lucky [colorful] ducks:D But no, a loaf of birdie bread lasts so long around here with one bird, we're still on the loaf I baked back in middle February (frozen, of course!).

That is why I have a bunch of the bread in vacuum seal packs, going into the freezer! And when I make bread that is moist like this it goes bad quickly so I always freeze and pull out just couple pieces.

I have to make ice cream cone treats next... still have a bunch of Max leftovers from his food bowl, need to put it to use (or freeze it, which I think there is some in the freezer already). Only baking for just our birds now I do not go thru the mix as quickly as before.

But, agree, in the freezer with any baked goodies!

Most Reactions