Anyone handreared Australian King Parrots?

EuropaEclipse096

Jan 22, 2022
Parrots
Australian King Parrot
Hi there,

Is there a specific handrearing guide specifically for Australian Kings?

Feeding intervals
How much formula @ what age
Aprox weaning age

Thanks!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Around here I’m hard pressed to think of any OWNERS, let alone anyone with king parrot breeding experience. A quick online search (which of course makes me an expert now!) suggests 30 day weaning timeframe and twice daily feedings - which sounds wrong.

I recommend finding a breeder online and reaching out to them to obtain help and advice.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
if you have come across a baby, I'd worry about poaching from a nest.

There is a high mortality rate in taking un weaned babies. Even for those that have some experience raising chick's and get them close to weaning age. For little babies or getting into breeding there is so much that goes into it. Proper warmth and humidity is critical, proper formula type and proper warmth if feeding is critical, feeding times and amounts and crop emptying is critical and changes based on weight and age. Crop impaction, crop burn, crop infection common. Malformed beaks from improper feeding common , nutritional stunting common. Feet and leg malformation from improper egg care, post hatched substrate common.

We have some threads on breeding as a sticky at the top of breeding forum.

OP
E

EuropaEclipse096

Jan 22, 2022
Parrots
Australian King Parrot
Heya thanks for the responses. To clarify, I have a good amount of experience handrearing parrakeets and parrots. The reason I ask is because Australian Kings are not common and therefore I couldn't find a handrearing guide specific to them.

I've had him since 2 weeks old and now he's @ 4 weeks, I've now reduced his feedings to 3 a day.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Great. I hope you stick around and offer your expertise to help the so many who wind up looking for help with babies here!!!!

Sorry no specific help with yours

OP
E

EuropaEclipse096

Jan 22, 2022
Parrots
Australian King Parrot
I appreciate your response regardless.

Yes, I also hope I can be of some help to those who need it. Though I don't think I want to come across too many posts of first time parrot owners who have been sold a 2 week old chick 😶

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
Heya thanks for the responses. To clarify, I have a good amount of experience handrearing parrakeets and parrots. The reason I ask is because Australian Kings are not common and therefore I couldn't find a handrearing guide specific to them.

I've had him since 2 weeks old and now he's @ 4 weeks, I've now reduced his feedings to 3 a day.
I saw your thread, do you breed Australian King Parrots? Where do you live? Are you in USA? I have been looking for a long time for a King parrot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts