Anyone has used Infra Red bulb for sick bird?

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
I have posted a thread weeks ago needing input on how long it normally takes to full recovery after antibiotic treatment. I have a 27 year old Senegal (BB).

He has stopped the medication about two weeks ago and have been very weak and can only eat very small quantities of food.

We have re-arranged his cage interior and lowered all his perches and feeders.

We have set up an Infra-Red heat lamp bulb (125 Watt) clipped on by a clamp that can take up to 150 watt on the left side of his cage. There are two thermometers constantly monitoring the interior and exterior temperature. We are also using a handheld Infra-Red thermometer look like a short gun bought from Amazon to directly pointed at the bird and the area near him to double check the exact temperature. We also use it to check the temp of the warm soft food. We found it very useful. Vet has advised we need to have on 90F at all times. We have set his temp between 85F - 89F.

Totally understand it could be dangerous using the heat lamp if it is not done properly. We have to use it as he has a stand-up tall cage (big for his size I know) and it is difficult to use other heating source. Also he can still move and eat on his own. Due to the two rounds of antibiotics (Cipro), first round was too mild so had a relapse in one month, second round different vet same antibiotics but too strong but wiped out all the bad bacteria in just six days. We are so glad that we took him to the vet sooner than the scheduled followup appointment or else he would be on the strong dose for much longer time. Vet did another gram stain test and appeared to be surprised that it was all clear. He immediately asked us to stop the med! This is just too much for a 27 year old to take and will take a very long time to recover but we just need to be patient.

We have read reviews that birds mainly they mainly use it for poultry in cold climate may need a little time to adapt to the red light. We just want to check with those who have used it and the birds were able to sleep. We have just switched it from Incandescent heat lamp bulb to this infra-red bulb for two days. It appears that BB likes it and facing the light directly the whole time with eyes closed but not turning his head to the back to sleep. At times his head was a little slanted to the side with eyes closed but not completely turned to the back to sleep.

We are not sure without completely turn his head to sleep may prevent him of having a deep resting sleep or just need a little time to adapt.

Your input is great appreciated!

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Understanding that this kind of technology heats things not the air as a result determining surface temperature can be difficult. Also, there is the issue of the bulb causing Sun burn of the skin. It would be safer to target ambient temperature using a safer heat source.

OP
Birds lover from Hawaii

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Thanks SailBoat! Two hours ago, we have thought of a better and safer way and have removed the Infra-Red heat lamp setup. We are now using the clamp to hold a 60 Watt bulb and put it underneath the cage approx. 8 inches from the bottom. Have monitored the temp and it is quite stable around 86F. Will continue to do so through the day to make sure. Due to the Infra-red bulb we were not able to cover the cage completely but now we can and we can see BB tucked his head to the back and sound asleep. He was extremely tired and weak this morning when waking up highly likely due to not able to sleep last night.

Just a note to everyone that the Infra-Red Thermometer is really worthwhile to get for your First Aid Kit. We bought it originally to check the pizza using our outdoor BBQ.

Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Thanks SailBoat! Two hours ago, we have thought of a better and safer way and have removed the Infra-Red heat lamp setup. We are now using the clamp to hold a 60 Watt bulb and put it underneath the cage approx. 8 inches from the bottom. Have monitored the temp and it is quite stable around 86F. Will continue to do so through the day to make sure. Due to the Infra-red bulb we were not able to cover the cage completely but now we can and we can see BB tucked his head to the back and sound asleep. He was extremely tired and weak this morning when waking up highly likely due to not able to sleep last night.

Just a note to everyone that the Infra-Red Thermometer is really worthwhile to get for your First Aid Kit. We bought it originally to check the pizza using our outdoor BBQ.
So if I understood it right,. You want the air around the cage to be warmer? Silly to ask, but have you tried or considered those heating pads for birds? It is quite safe and warm on the touch, idea is that the bird snuggles up to it. Or, a much more expencive solution I guess is a heating panel behind the cage.

And I agree about the thermometer, usefull stuff!

OP
Birds lover from Hawaii

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
So if I understood it right,. You want the air around the cage to be warmer? Silly to ask, but have you tried or considered those heating pads for birds? It is quite safe and warm on the touch, idea is that the bird snuggles up to it. Or, a much more expencive solution I guess is a heating panel behind the cage.

Yes, we want the air inside the cage to be warmer as BB can still perch and feed himself on the feeders at the bottom of cage. Using the heat pad does not work as he sleeps on perch even though we have kept it much lower than before and he always prefer to go to the higher spot. We may consider the heat panel as we realize the current method we are using putting the light bulb at the bottom of cage temp fluctuates probably due to the cage size.

Anyone can suggest a good brand of the heat panel would be great. Thanks!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I have not had occasion to use one of these myself, but I've noticed a couple of others mention it lately, the K&H Snuggle Up Warmer for birds...

k-and-h-heated-snuggle-up-bird-warmer-1.jpg

Hope this helps! 🙏

OP
Birds lover from Hawaii

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
I have not had occasion to use one of these myself, but I've noticed a couple of others mention it lately, the K&H Snuggle Up Warmer for birds...

k-and-h-heated-snuggle-up-bird-warmer-1.jpg

Hope this helps! 🙏
Thanks I actually saw this on Amazon but thought it may not work for a sick bird as it only warms the perch. As soon as he leaves his perch to get food on the cage floor, his body temp may have a sudden drop. Also found out it could heat up to 104F and that's too high and a sick bird may be slow to react by moving away.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
The heated perch is a separate item altogether and a lot of people don't recommend it over concerns that it may burn their bird's feet. The K&H panel attaches to the side of the cage and gives off radiant warmth that the bird can move away from if he wishes to. One of our members, bill_e, has posted about using the panel with his hawk head, I will link up his post for you...

So I've owned a heated perch and the grey K&H Snuggle up bird warmer. Nike loved the perch but I noticed some redness on the bottoms of her feet so I discontinued it's use. It could also have been that the one I got (only one available) had sand glued to it and that could have been the irritant.

No matter, I bought the K&H and she loves it. I think snuggling up to it is a natural behavior. I have a dragon wood perch with the heater at the end and back side of the cage. She sleeps on the perch next to the heater. I run it 24/7/365 and she uses it every night.,

My house is not air conditioned so in the summer it can get pretty warm and then in the spring and summer there ae some chilly mornings.

I keep my thermostat 60°F in the winter, sometimes up to 66° when we're chilled and not wanting to put on a sweater but Nike only uses the heater at night.

Personally I think the K&H is the best and safest option.

View attachment 31146

... and the whole thread that it came from...

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
The heated perch is a separate item altogether and a lot of people don't recommend it over concerns that it may burn their bird's feet. The K&H panel attaches to the side and gives off radiant warmth that the bird can move away from if he wishes to. One of our members, bill_e, has posted about using the panel with his hawk head, I will link up his post for you...

... and the whole thread that it came from...

I understood that for the sick sennie a steady whole cage warmth would be the best, while the tiny heat pad is awesome for a bird to snuggle up (that was the first Item I suggested, just couldn't remember the name). I remember people from different Facebook groups mentioning it's just warm on the touch, and the bird would have to stay close to it. There are infrared heating panels which are used for heating a whole room (like your usual radiator), but I guess because of safety of the bird should be thoroughly researched as some are known to be super hot on touch. Nifty heaters for sure, price can be around 150-300 dollars depending on the size and quality. If I already have to keep one corner of the room warm, this is something I personally would look into for sure.

OP
Birds lover from Hawaii

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Thank you all for your input. I believe this product is great for normal use for healthy birds. My bird is extremely weak and may not be as alert to move away if it's getting too hot. It's just too risky for him at this stage. I have just placed an online order for a Oil Filled Electric Radiator Heater on Walmart and will pick it up at store tomorrow. It will warm up the whole room and I will place it closer to his cage. Hope it will work out this time.

OP
Birds lover from Hawaii

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
I understood that for the sick sennie a steady whole cage warmth would be the best, while the tiny heat pad is awesome for a bird to snuggle up (that was the first Item I suggested, just couldn't remember the name). I remember people from different Facebook groups mentioning it's just warm on the touch, and the bird would have to stay close to it. There are infrared heating panels which are used for heating a whole room (like your usual radiator), but I guess because of safety of the bird should be thoroughly researched as some are known to be super hot on touch. Nifty heaters for sure, price can be around 150-300 dollars depending on the size and quality. If I already have to keep one corner of the room warm, this is something I personally would look into for sure.
Thanks Skarila. BB is going downhill this morning so weak cant move or eat with eyes closed. I have been holding him for two hours and my husband has started to feed him little by little using a syringe. Getting a heat pad will be appropriate since he cant perch anymore.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Thanks Skarila. BB is going downhill this morning so weak cant move or eat with eyes closed. I have been holding him for two hours and my husband has started to feed him little by little using a syringe. Getting a heat pad will be appropriate since he cant perch anymore.
I am terribly sorry to hear this!! I pray that BB gets better real soon! I'm sure you're already giving 200% and all you've got for the little fella... I just wanna give him a kiss and tell him that everything will be okay :c

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Birds lover, I'm so very sorry to hear BB is not doing so well today! Skarila nailed it, I think we all want to give him a big kiss right now, and give you a big hug too!! Sending warmest feathered hugs, thoughts, prayers, vibes, and everything else that I can to you. We are here for you, for whatever you need ❤️

OP
Birds lover from Hawaii

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
I am terribly sorry to hear this!! I pray that BB gets better real soon! I'm sure you're already giving 200% and all you've got for the little fella... I just wanna give him a kiss and tell him that everything will be okay :c
Thanks for your prayers. Both BB and us will continue to fight for sure. Have decided to try he Harrisons Juvenile formula as it contains less fat order placed direct with Harrison as Amazon out of stock. we have done some good for him but on the otherhand also harm him doing some trials and errors being desperately wanted him to get well sooner. We only have one bird so lack of experience is another reason. At the beginning we have assumed its all due to aging and the curbside pickup will give too much stress to him. On top of that, there is no Avian vet here in Hawaii so really no choice. My husband has been holding up for a long time until BB suddenly lifted his neck to kiss him yesterday he broke down in tears after he left the room. i did mine hiding in the garage and in the yard so he wont hear me.

After several mini syringe feedings he seems to do a little better have opened his eyes for a little while.

Last edited:
OP
Birds lover from Hawaii

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Birds lover, I'm so very sorry to hear BB is not doing so well today! Skarila nailed it, I think we all want to give him a big kiss right now, and give you a big hug too!! Sending warmest feathered hugs, thoughts, prayers, vibes, and everything else that I can to you. We are here for you, for whatever you need ❤️
MUCH THANKS FROM THE 3 OF US

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III

IDK if it's the same, but Sir Birb is using my hooman infrared heating pad for ambient temperature by where he sleeps. No light, just radiated heat without anything hot to touch. Because it radiates, it doesn't overheat the cage (or, at least, the cage isn't more than 78°F so far according to the thermometer). He also has a warming blanket since it is getting to be 40° here at night already and that pad wasn't designed to being things to a certain temp lul

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Thanks for your prayers. Both BB and us will continue to fight for sure. Have decided to try he Harrisons Juvenile formula as it contains less fat order placed direct with Harrison as Amazon out of stock. we have done some good for him but on the otherhand also harm him doing some trials and errors being desperately wanted him to get well sooner. We only have one bird so lack of experience is another reason. At the beginning we have assumed its all due to aging and the curbside pickup will give too much stress to him. On top of that, there is no Avian vet here in Hawaii so really no choice. My husband has been holding up for a long time until BB suddenly lifted his neck to kiss him yesterday he broke down in tears after he left the room. i did mine hiding in the garage and in the yard so he wont hear me.

After several mini syringe feedings he seems to do a little better have opened his eyes for a little while.
Hey, how're you guys faring (if it's okay to ask)? 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

OP
Birds lover from Hawaii

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Hey, how're you guys faring (if it's okay to ask)? 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗
Thanks for your input but no longer needed. BB has finally passed yesterday afternoon. I held him the whole morning and my husband took over while I went to Walmart to pick up the heater. When I reached home after an hour, my husband told me he didn't look good and he has said his goodbye to him. I took over for about half hour and saw him took his last breath in my arm. We are sure he has waited for me to return to say goodbye and I am so glad that I came back in time.

We are totally heartbroken that no words can describe the deep sense of loss and sorrow inside our hearts. We have lost our only family member who had been with us for 27 years. We tried not to think about all the "what ifs" as we believe a BOOK up there already listed the time and date to leave this world for all living things

On the other hand, it was comforted to know he had a happy life, never been sick and could be with us every single day as we both worked from home except during our short vacations. Now we don't have to worry about him outliving us anymore.

We have laid him in a nice wooden box that we have made before and wrapped his little body in a beautiful embroidered pillow cover. He is now resting comfortably under our Plumeria Tree in our yard. We told him that we will meet him again.

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Oh, that sounds so beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss. We're here for you. I didn't mean to intrude. I just wanted to check in on you in case there was anything you needed from us. So many hugs. 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thanks for your input but no longer needed. BB has finally passed yesterday afternoon. I held him the whole morning and my husband took over while I went to Walmart to pick up the heater. When I reached home after an hour, my husband told me he didn't look good and he has said his goodbye to him. I took over for about half hour and saw him took his last breath in my arm. We are sure he has waited for me to return to say goodbye and I am so glad that I came back in time.

We are totally heartbroken that no words can describe the deep sense of loss and sorrow inside our hearts. We have lost our only family member who had been with us for 27 years. We tried not to think about all the "what ifs" as we believe a BOOK up there already listed the time and date to leave this world for all living things

On the other hand, it was comforted to know he had a happy life, never been sick and could be with us every single day as we both worked from home except during our short vacations. Now we don't have to worry about him outliving us anymore.

We have laid him in a nice wooden box that we have made before and wrapped his little body in a beautiful embroidered pillow cover. He is now resting comfortably under our Plumeria Tree in our yard. We told him that we will meet him again.
Oh no, I'm so sorry to read this very sad news this morning. Please accept my deepest sympathies for your loss of BB. You are in the supportive company of many others here who have shed tears over the loss of a beloved family member and my heart goes out to you now. What a blessed life BB lived to be so cherished and adored by you. I honestly don't think he could have had a better home than that which you so lovingly gave him, I'm just so very sorry that he didn't make it and am deeply sorry for your loss.

I will share with you a verse by an anonymous poet, it has always meant a lot to me...

"I will lend to you, a bird," God said,
"And teach you all you have to do.
And when I call him back to Heaven,
You will know he loved you too."

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, beloved BB, until we all meet again. 🙏

Most Reactions