Anyone have two birds housed together?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Just finding out if I an alone on this one.

I have two almost 18 year old female birds - a Sun and Quaker. I dint know anyone else like me.

Both my girls train at the sane time but I find they are more focused when they each have their own training perch.

When they are both inside the cage and I come over they both come over to me.

So my questions for all of you who have birds housed together are.

1. What species are there?

2. How do you train them? Together on different perches? Separately at different times ?

3. Do you find one bird is the leader and the other a follower. My Quaker is the leader and my sun often looks to her for direction lol!

NOTE: I do have a separate cage if I need to separate them. I had to separate them for a month when my Quaker was recovering from surgery.

D

Deleted member 42416

I have 2 suns and a gcc togetherโ€ฆ they actually chose to live together! Since they were adopted at different times they all initially had their own cages.

Training is definitely easier separately, especially with treats. However, if the others are in the cage watching the session, they will learn even faster when itโ€™s their turn.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My budgies have some difficulties sleeping together (Apollo gets nervous, Picasso bites everyone's feet), but Stormy and Pepper do pretty well together!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Just finding out if I an alone on this one.

I have two almost 18 year old female birds - a Sun and Quaker. I dint know anyone else like me.

Both my girls train at the sane time but I find they are more focused when they each have their own training perch.

When they are both inside the cage and I come over they both come over to me.

So my questions for all of you who have birds housed together are.

1. What species are there?

2. How do you train them? Together on different perches? Separately at different times ?

3. Do you find one bird is the leader and the other a follower. My Quaker is the leader and my sun often looks to her for direction lol!

NOTE: I do have a separate cage if I need to separate them. I had to separate them for a month when my Quaker was recovering from surgery.
- Bourkes
- Bourke and budgie
No trainings
No leader.
However Rozalka (bourke) often wants to be some kind of boss - she often wants to chase others... but Angela (budgie) is brave enough to do nothing and Rozalka isn't brave enough to bit her :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I have 2 suns and a gcc togetherโ€ฆ they actually chose to live together! Since they were adopted at different times they all initially had their own cages.

Training is definitely easier separately, especially with treats. However, if the others are in the cage watching the session, they will learn even faster when itโ€™s their turn.
When you say train separately do you bean that one comes out whole other stays in caste?

Or do you each have them on a separate training perch?

Basically while once is eating theyr reward k work with tbd other and vice versa

D

Deleted member 42416

I had to have them in the cage while training the other. Seeds are used as treats and are irresistibleโ€ฆmaybe some birds will โ€œstayโ€ on their own nearby perch, but mine would not have the patience to stayโ€ฆthey would come on over and totally interrupt the session.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My first 2 gcc females lived together and very bonded but gotten years apart.

My remaining gcc Ta-dah was the boss. Sometimes probably breeding season I had to separate them because Ta-dah was resource guarding. Then id put them back together because they very much wanted to be sbd preferred sleeping in a pile.

Burt The Burd my first girl was already friends with me before Ta-dah . TA-DAH really liked me as well. So no issues.

They did prefer to be with me together, and sit on my hand together , and do everything together. I just loved on them and catered to them, I didn't do any training ...so not much help

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
My first 2 gcc females lived together and very bonded but gotten years apart.

My remaining gcc Ta-dah was the boss. Sometimes probably breeding season I had to separate them because Ta-dah was resource guarding. Then id put them back together because they very much wanted to be sbd preferred sleeping in a pile.

Burt The Burd my first girl was already friends with me before Ta-dah . TA-DAH really liked me as well. So no issues.

They did prefer to be with me together, and sit on my hand together , and do everything together. I just loved on them and catered to them, I didn't do any training ...so not much help
I just did another training session today and I will tell you that having them each on a perch is a lot easier. It is less likely the two of them will goof off and want the other's treat LOL! My Sun Conure does much better too. The other can watch while the other is has their turn.

I just ask these things because on Youtube and in parrot books it focouses on one bird and how to train and work with that one bird. I am always concerned I am doing something wrong because I have two birds.

Af for them living together, my girls will bicker on occasion like "Hey move over rover, I am taking over." but it lasts a second and they are back to loving on each other. They enjoy preening each other's head.

Breading season is when they both go nuts and feed off each other. The worst was when the both tried to take over my bed (I used to let them go under the covers (big mistake LOL!). My bed became their little nest and they would bite me.

Mine really can't be separated or they were start flock calling. My Sun conure follows my Quaker's lead a lot of the time.

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
I have a Bourke, Cockatiel, Budgie and Turquoisine Parakeet...The Budgie is the most rambunctious but it's actually the Turquoisine who is surprisingly the boss. I had to separate the Budgie as he was annoying everyone constantly moving, but his cage is beside them of similar size, and they get to all buzz around the apartment during playtime at the same time

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have had an Orange wing Amazon and a Red Lored Amazon together for many years .
820285D2-9126-4E64-830A-57EA4D505EC9.jpeg

And I currently have two Green cheek Amazons together and two Cockatiel sisters together.

The green Cheekโ€™s โ€œpecking orderโ€ is a bit difficult to describe. The presumed male is a bit of a bully and Luna probable female is a bit of a nag. what I mean is she screams at Merlin (male?) when he is playing and having fun. And Merlin sometimes lunges at Luna like she is a toy to play with.
image.jpg

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I donโ€™t really do training other than wanting them to step up and getting them back into the cage.

The Cockatiel sisters were raised from the egg in our own home. They are 100% tame and donโ€™t need any training.

Itโ€™s just my feeling and I got nothing against someone training there bird but I want my birds to be what they are.
If I wanted an animal that does tricks I would get a dog.

Most Reactions

Latest posts