Anyone heard their bird pass gas?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I know this sounds odd, but I thought I'd ask on here before asking the vet. Last night right before I went to bed I heard what sounded like a loud fart come out of Rowdy's cage. She was asleep. I waited a few minutes and heard another one. It seems to me I also heard this sound from her back in November a couple of times. The first time I thought Pete made an imitation of one. I automatically blamed him because he was the new one in the house, and of course MY bird would never do such a thing, lol! Then a few days later I heard it again and knew Rowdy did it. So then I thought she was imitating the sound of one (vocally). But, after last night, I don't think it was a vocalization.

I'm not sure what to think here, but I know it wasn't me, and it wasn't the cat. She passed her wellness check with flying colors in November.

Could eating broccoli or beans have caused it? She did have both last night.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I've never heard any of my birds (from past) or Tate pass a fart! My first thought would be just mimicking, but....? I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.... we shall see ; )

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Why not? They eat fresh veggies, beans, broccoli, etc. Other animals do. I, too, have thought that I'd heard that, as well, but, was never sure. :p They don't seem to be embarassed by doing so, like dogs and us. LOL

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Why not? They eat fresh veggies, beans, broccoli, etc. Other animals do. I, too, have thought that I'd heard that, as well, but, was never sure. :p They don't seem to be embarassed by doing so, like dogs and us. LOL

Psssh, your dogs can come teach my dog some shame then, he farts ALL of the time and he is definitely not ashamed. It's so bad, there's been times where he's farted, looked right at his butt and then walked out of the room, :52: not cool

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
LOL..I didn't mean ALL dogs. But, I've had 1 or 2 that would look like, "It wasn't me!".

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I heard Mishka loud and clear one night, when he was sleeping. Took the torch, to see him more clearly, and waited and low and behold he did fart !!!!!

Birds do pass gas. In the intestinal tract there is bacteria that has the job of breaking down food nutrients. This bacteria is actually what causes the gas in all animals including us humans.

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Cory, my Corella, farted loudly one day taking off from his perch... My daughter was here, and we just couldn't help but laugh... It's the first and only time I've heard a bird fart.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Thanks so much those of you who answered. I feel a lot better now! I've had birds my entire life and never heard a bird fart before. Merlin can make a small fart sound when a really huge poop comes out, but that makes sense when you see how horribly big her poops are from the Borna. But, Rowdy is a little conure, lol, and that first one the other night was really loud. Now I'm certain that back in November when I heard that sound twice, that she wasn't vocalizing it. If she had learned to do that, she would probably do it all the time because Merlin does. It's one of Merlin's favorite imitations; I think she does that one the most, actually.

Effervescency

Jan 29, 2012
Cleveland, OH
Parrots
Alice: 1+ (almost 2) y/o pineapple GCC || Drake: 1+ y/o black capped conure
LOL! Found it! Sooo funny. Yea, Alice's were just little airy click sounds while she was on her back. Talk about being relaxed!

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Rowdy's wasn't much quieter than what my ex bf used to do! The second one was more in line of what I think a bird might do, lol! I have been sleeping downstairs though because of Merlin's seizures. So could just be I'm hearing them now because of that. I actually have a really good idea now about what they each do all night. Rowdy also talks in her sleep fairly often. Pete shakes his wings a lot.

I did know Rowdy talks in her sleep. I often sleep downstairs during the summer.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, my cat is silent but deadly. She will be sitting in my lap and all of a sudden I'm just like OMG!

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
OMG this is just to funny my first thought was are you crazy then it crossed my mind that a lot of you are very noisy while your asleep. PMSL. And no i have never heard any of my parrot's pass gas. However i have heard them mimic some of our bodily noises.

However, Mike Murray, a veterinarian at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California, has this to say: ā€œItā€™s not that they canā€™t. They just donā€™t need to. Birds have the anatomical and physical ability to pass gas, but if I saw gas in a birdā€™s gastrointestinal tract on an x-ray, Iā€™d suspect that something abnormal was going on in there.ā€

I think i would have to agree with Mike Murray.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I don't think she mimicked it! I checked on her and she was sleeping. Then I heard another one! She had a wellness check in November and all her blood work was good. She is very active, vocal, eats well.

And like I said I heard it twice back around November. The first time I was trying to take a nap. I heard it and thought it was Pete. He was new to my home and has other disgusting noises he makes like slurping sounds, and he says, "Glug, glug, glug" when he sees me drinking. A couple weeks later, I was up when it happened and it definitely came from Rowdy's cage. I thought she mimicked the sound, and I was very embarrassed because, well, let's just say I have a digestive disease and figured she was imitating me:eek:

But, 2 nights ago she was asleep when it happened. ??

Most Reactions