Anyone know about "silicone non-stick coatings"?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I got a new stainless interior, compact oven that is only 1.5cu ft interior. Unfortunately, while the rest of the oven is stainless, the included drip pan is black non-stick so I cannot use it. I need to find a substitute to use as a drip pan, and would also like some cookie sheets as well. Everything that was plain aluminum seemed to be plain too big or the wrong dimensions (as in, would not fit the odd-size oven cavity in one direction and too small in the other). I found a nice ceramic-enamelled cookie sheet, but it turned out to be too big and I'll have to return it:( I also saw this set but decided to hold off buying until I checked here about safety-
Wilton® Cookie Sheets (Set of 3) - BedBathandBeyond.com

It does not specify on the website, but it did on the in-store packaging that they had a "silicone non-stick coating". I have a bunch of other, older Wilton bakeware, but I am pretty sure it's all plain aluminum. I have never heard of silicone being used as a non stick coating and am wondering if the coating on these pans is a safety concern for Kiwi or not? Any ideas?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
As far as I am aware, silicone is safe. However, I have heard of silicone pans that contain PTFE.

Bed Bath and Beyond should have some green pans that state they are PTFE free?

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
They only had pots and pans of that 'green ceramic', no baking sheets in the store, but I didn't check their website. Doesn't have to be from BB&B either. I would actually prefer a set like the wilton pans in plain aluminum. My cake pans and muffin pans have never given me sticking issues, won't ever have some coating chipping off and will probably last the rest of forever. It just seems like EVERYTHING now has some kind of coating on it:52:

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Just for future reference if anyone else is having difficulty finding bird-safe bakeware, Nordic Ware makes plain aluminum baking sheets and is available at Target. Heavy weight too, so these should hold up for the rest of forever. Plain aluminum was really what I was after to begin with.

Nordic Ware "naturals" plain aluminum bakeware line-https://www.nordicware.com/store/category/naturals#.U4PtBty4llI

Most Reactions