Anyone know about zebra finch babies?!

sammmy

May 7, 2014
Canada
Parrots
1 Cinnamon Conure
Hatched November 26, 2013
I'm in a dilemma!
I have 3, 7 day old zebra finches and one that is 6 days old. They all seem very healthy and have tripled their size. Crops always seem to be full.

My concern: the nest is COVERED in poop. Parents poop, babies poop, everyone is pooping everywhere!!!!

I'm worried this is not a suitable house for the babies to grow, but I don't want to touch them and have the parents abandon them.

Anyone have a suggestion!? I'm quite concerned.

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
I raised society finches in college, and they are pretty much the same. They grow up so fast, I never really worried about it. If you've ever seen a wild sparrows nest, you'd see that's pretty common. Once the babies fledge, just take the nest out and replace it or clean it if its the plastic kind.

Runnergirl

Mar 30, 2014
Media
Chicagoland, IL
Parrots
Scurvy and Salty the cockatiels, Kiwi and Sprite the budgies, and Mojo the troublemaking Green Cheek.
I'd leave it. It's normal for finch, and as wild as they are, it is not worth risking the clutch by trying to clean it. Two weeks and they will be popping out to say hi. Good luck, baby finch are amazing. ☺️

deshud

Jul 13, 2013
Parrots
1 parrotlett
1 whitecapped pi
soon 1 blue headed pi
I agree with everyone. Zebras are resilient. They'll be fine.

OP
sammmy

sammmy

May 7, 2014
Canada
Parrots
1 Cinnamon Conure
okay so I listened to everyone and left it and today the babies turned 14 days old. One baby left the nest and was peeping on the floor of the cage so I put him back in.
Another one came out a few hours later so I left this one and just made a little comfy spot with some towel. Is this too young or is it time for them to start fledging? The parents seem to be well aware and continue to check on the little guy?

Runnergirl

Mar 30, 2014
Media
Chicagoland, IL
Parrots
Scurvy and Salty the cockatiels, Kiwi and Sprite the budgies, and Mojo the troublemaking Green Cheek.
okay so I listened to everyone and left it and today the babies turned 14 days old. One baby left the nest and was peeping on the floor of the cage so I put him back in.
Another one came out a few hours later so I left this one and just made a little comfy spot with some towel. Is this too young or is it time for them to start fledging? The parents seem to be well aware and continue to check on the little guy?

If they're coming out, they're ready to. Finch are so sweet and cute at that stage. I actually had one little boy I got tame. Very unusual but possible. Anyway they'll be just fine. They'll pop in and out now more and more. You'll know when to take out the nest.

OP
sammmy

sammmy

May 7, 2014
Canada
Parrots
1 Cinnamon Conure

If they're coming out, they're ready to. Finch are so sweet and cute at that stage. I actually had one little boy I got tame. Very unusual but possible. Anyway they'll be just fine. They'll pop in and out now more and more. You'll know when to take out the nest.

Thank you so much. they just seem so silly and clumsy now. I actually had to "untangle" him because he got his foot stuck on top of his wing and had this hilarious look on his face.

Most Reactions