Anything I can do for my white budgie with liver disease?

OP
S

Snarby

Dec 1, 2015
Iowa
Parrots
Four Budgies, 1 White 2 Green 1 Blue (3 Males 1 Female)
He's more active and is pacing on the bottom of his cage from time to time. I think maybe he wants to be back with his flock? I'm going to reintroduce him for a little bit with his flock later today and was wondering if there's anything in particular I should do that would help him be accepted back in his flock since he was chased out while he was sick

OP
S

Snarby

Dec 1, 2015
Iowa
Parrots
I let him back in his cage with the rest of his flock but the leader kept picking on him. She did this last time I tried putting him back in but she isn't doing it as aggressively now. Before I had to take him out because she wouldn't leave him alone for 15 minutes straight but this time it only lasted 5 minutes, she wasn't as physical as last time either. They stopped now and all of them are eating the seeds I put out. (He was flying from dish to dish trying to eat, although I gave him his food earlier this morning). They seem to be calmed down at the moment.

*UPDATE* Shortly after I posted this the leader confronted him again and started biting his leg (there wasn't any visible injury to it), so I took him out and put him back in his separate cage. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow, depends on how well/active he is

Last edited:

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Sounds like the alpha recognizes his limitation and is working to move him out of the flock. He needs his own cage at this point.

OP
S

Snarby

Dec 1, 2015
Iowa
Parrots
He hasn't been looking very good the past few days. He's been sitting on the heater while biting the bars and shaking.He only climbs on his perch to get water and eat his food (Seeds millet and carrots, he wont eat anything else). I dug up and washed a little food bowl in their tote full of supplies when we got them and he mostly eats from that now. I might go to the pet store later and get another water bottle and leave the one on his perch where it is because I don't want to swap around to much stuff on him.

He hasn't touched any dark leafy greens I put in front of him. I decided to take him off the 50/50 apple juice/aloe detox mix since I never saw him drink out of the bowl ( I ended up having to give it to him via syringe) I put in his cage and replaced it with 50/50 purified water/aloe detox, since I didn't want him getting the extra sugars from the juice if he wasn't going to drink it himself.

His beak is overgrown too, I noticed that when he started biting the bars. I had a cuttlebone and lava block in his cage but I've never seen him use it. Would that be causing him any immediate discomfort/pain, if so would taking him to the vet be worth the stress on him?

BirdLover80

Jan 2, 2016
Spokane, WA, USA
Parrots
Green Indian ringneck (Isolde)
Pied cockatiel (Tristan)
Pied cockatiel (Peter)
RIP Zoey <3
How do you know it has liver disease if you've never taken it to an avian vet? Don't always believe what you've been told. Only a certified avian vet will be able to tell you with certainty.

In the wild, birds hide illness because it's a sign of weakness and other birds in their flock will try to pick them off. I would suggest not putting the sick bird back in with the flock - you're asking for a death sentence.

Keep us updated.

OP
S

Snarby

Dec 1, 2015
Iowa
Parrots
He seems to be stabilized for the past few days. He's eating and drinking by himself but I think we may need his beak trimmed, I watched him have trouble eating his millet spray.

The nearest avian vet is about 2 hours from where I am, and I'm not sure if he could make the 4-5 hour trip.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
If it were me, I'd just make him as comfortable as possible. He is an older bird nearing the end of his natural life.

OP
S

Snarby

Dec 1, 2015
Iowa
Parrots
He's been having a rough time the past few days, I'm not sure if he'll pull through this time or not. I put him in front of the other birds and I give him fresh water and food/cuttlebone daily and change his cage liner every two days. I'm not sure I can do anything else at this point but wait. :/

I took him off the aloe detox last week because it seemed the worst of it was over, plus I had to give it to him via syringe which is also why because I didn't want to stress him out more then what was necessary. Would putting him back on it help or do you think the worst of the liver disease is over for now or did the medication/sickness take to much out of him and he's just not recuperating?

OP
S

Snarby

Dec 1, 2015
Iowa
Parrots
We got his beak trimmed (I asked the vet that deals with birds while we were there for our dog) and she said we could trim it ourselves. I did and it's much better now, I didn't trim to much but its much better. While I was looking at his beak I saw he had a great big crack on the left side of his lower beak. I'll call the vet tomorrow and see if she has any experience with it (Shes not a avian vet but shes the only one with any experience with birds here, the nearest avian vet is 2 hour drive away).

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
My advice is to get as much aloe detox in her as you can. I mix it 50-50 with her favorite fruit juice...

Aloe detox can dramatically improve liver function and in some cases, appears to reverse liver disease.

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/36179-aloe-detox-parrots-elevated-liver-values.html

I was just going to say the same thing. This stuff works. had an issue where I nearly lost my senni back when it broke it's leg when it was 6 months old.
Darn vet wasn't all that keen on knowing exactly the amount of
antibiotics and pain medication to give it.
I switched vets to one that knew more about birds ( parrots especially)
and when blood draw was done the liver was very highly toxicated. I was sure I was going to lose my senni. But the aloe detox almost everyday, and when the blood test was done again, the liver funtions were near normal.
I tell you I swear by this stuff, and use it reqularly even if they don't need it. Keeps them healthy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts