Apollo's new "seed" mix

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Apollo won't eat chop. Gave up trying to get her to eat it long ago. She's been on roudybush pellets and a custom seed mix for awhile now. Her last vet appointment they said she was in good shape, but I'm just not happy with the diet she's on currently. So, I decided to re-do her seed mix. I found out that Zupreem did these nice little "rewards" mixes so I snagged a few of those through work, as well as a herb mix that we carried too for birds. A handful of different seeds from out local Sprouts. And then a few other things from our normal grocery store. I'll list the exact ingredients bellow. Excuse the varied size measurements. They were all measured in different ways and I couldnt be bothered to make it all the same measurement. Also I put the pumpkin seeds through my food processor otherwise they're too big and Apollo ignores them.

Sunburst Leafy Greens and Herbs (1 oz)
Zupreem Orchard Mix (6oz)
Zupreem Tropical Mix (6oz)
Zupreem Garden Mix (6oz)
Hulled Millet (1/2lbs)
Hulled Pumpkin Seed (1/2lbs)
Chia Seeds (1/2lbs)
Sesame Seeds (1/2lbs)
Golden Flax Seeds (1/4lbs)
Brown Flax Seeds (1/4lbs)
Anise Seed (2oz)
Hemp Seed Hearts (8oz)
Dandelion Root Tea (.85oz)
Coconut Shreds (1/2cup)
Crushed Red Pepper (1 cup)
Safflower Seeds (1/2 cup)

20221026_172117.jpg

20221026_175235.jpg

What do you guys think?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Looks and sounds yummy!!

I’m adding a bit of seed back into my birds’ diet. Not a lot but a little. Especially good for bribes.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
yeah I mostly use seeds for training. Aster and Lincoln have some seeds in their chop just from the veggies used. but Aster likes safflower seeds for training. Lincoln will eat anything. Apollo likes almond slivers for training.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Updated the mix to include;
ZooMed Tortoise Flower Food Topper (1.4 oz)
ZooMed Lizard Flower Food Topper (1.4 oz)
Full Cheeks Hibiscus Pieces (1.3 oz)

I'm so happy with this mix. it's so varied and not just some junky seed mix. I started feeding it to Aster too and she likes it. I tried feeding Apollo chop again with this mix sprinkled on it and she seems to have taken to it pretty well. I think I might give Lincoln some with his pellets.
20221126_213516.jpg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am really interested in your assembled seed mix. I have made customized seed mixes for finches—added extras to their basic seed mix—but not for parrots.

I think Willow’s high potency Harrison’s may be a bit rich for him. He isn’t interested in any treats but seed so he is getting an avicake daily. Plus both my birds are getting a rabbit-food flower and herb mix.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Updated the mix to include;
Full Cheeks Hibiscus Pieces (1.3 oz)

I'm so happy with this mix. it's so varied and not just some junky seed mix. I started feeding it to Aster too and she likes it. I tried feeding Apollo chop again with this mix sprinkled on it and she seems to have taken to it pretty well. I think I might give Lincoln some with his pellets.
Do you think making your own ends up being cheaper than just buying some from say Phoenix Foraging Rolls? Just curious as I am debating which route, I want to take.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Do you think making your own ends up being cheaper than just buying some from say Phoenix Foraging Rolls? Just curious as I am debating which route, I want to take.
definitely. I've spent like 40$ maybe a little more and its gonna last me the better part of a year.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
So went through the seed mix a lot faster than I thought I would. I guess giving it to 3 birds as opposed to 1 does that.... here's take 2 of the mix:
I used a lot of the same ingredients but altered measurements and added some new stuff.

Pumpkin seeds (12 oz)
Hemp Hearts (8oz)
Coconut Shreds (1/2 cup)
Hulled Millet (1/4th lbs)
Safflower Seed (1/2 cup)
Barley (6oz)
Sunburst Leafy Greens and Herbs (1 oz)
Zupreem Orchard Mix (6oz)
Zupreem Tropical Mix (6oz)
All Living Things Parsley & Strawberry (1oz)
Chia Seeds (1/2lbs)
Sesame Seeds (1/2lbs)
Golden Flax Seeds (1/4lbs)
Brown Flax Seeds (1/4lbs)
Hibiscus Ginger Tea (3oz)
Tiesta Tea Lavender & Chamomile (.9oz)
Crushed Red Pepper (2 cups)

20230304_115447.jpg
20230304_115752.jpg

I like that it filled up my container perfectly...

Last edited:

Most Reactions