Aratinga Finschis poop in water bowl

Mikxx

Jul 7, 2021
Hello guys,

may I introduce my two beloved Finschis, Rick and Rocket:
20220913_124629.jpg

We used to have them with our Amazon parrot Roy in a big cage but unfortunately they became more and more vicious towards the older and bigger parrot. We bought a new cage and sperated them and after some months they started to poop in their water bowl.

There are two bowls integrated into the side of the cage and I already tried to change them with no success. I also added a bigger bowl with water at the bottom of the cage without any result.

Does anybody have a suggestion how I could make them stop doing this? Any help is appreciated

Thanks for reading and take care
Mik

Last edited by a moderator:

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Where are they usually perched when they poop in their water? Is there a perch they sit on above the water dish or do they literally perch on the bowl and poop?

My first thought is to rearrange the perches around the bowl... make sure there's no perches directly above it, and maybe add one right by the bowl so they're more likely to perch there than on the rim?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My Amazon started to do this. I raised the water bowl up so high that he had only enough room to squeeze in between the roof and the lip of the bowl to drink, not enough to take a dump. After awhile I started to gradually lower it down and now he does not do it any more.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I've been lucky that the main water bowl I use is not near my bird's favored perching spots, but the other option is so I don't use that bowl holder for food or water. Wrench I like that idea a lot! It's great to know it's worked for you, too.

@Mikxx those are a couple of good looking birds :)

OP
Mikxx

Mikxx

Jul 7, 2021
Where are they usually perched when they poop in their water? Is there a perch they sit on above the water dish or do they literally perch on the bowl and poop?

My first thought is to rearrange the perches around the bowl... make sure there's no perches directly above it, and maybe add one right by the bowl so they're more likely to perch there than on the rim?
Hello
that was my first guess. When I switch the water with the food bowl the poop is still always in the water bowl. Seems like they enjoy getting their butts wet. lol

They have many other perches that are higher than the rim.

OP
Mikxx

Mikxx

Jul 7, 2021
My Amazon started to do this. I raised the water bowl up so high that he had only enough room to squeeze in between the roof and the lip of the bowl to drink, not enough to take a dump. After awhile I started to gradually lower it down and now he does not do it any more.
That is a good advise. I will not use the rim for the water bowl that came with the cage but another one that I can move flexible.

OP
Mikxx

Mikxx

Jul 7, 2021
I've been lucky that the main water bowl I use is not near my bird's favored perching spots, but the other option is so I don't use that bowl holder for food or water. Wrench I like that idea a lot! It's great to know it's worked for you, too.

@Mikxx those are a couple of good looking birds :)
Thank you. We love them a lot.

Thanks all for the advise, I will see how it goes.

Most Reactions

Latest posts