Are her Feathers ok?

Lumi

Dec 21, 2022
Parrots
Her name is: Lumi
Species: Quaker Parrot
Type: Opaline green with yellow front and golden flecks
Born: August 2022
her feathers are upturned (Like a little ridge) about half inch from ends with some fraying.
9FF862B1-0C07-4664-B4B2-ABC4C33E7418.jpeg

New things: she grew back most of clipped feathers. Feathers are longer now and cross in back. She started flying a month ago and is just starting to perfect it. A fire also burned down the house 1 week ago and shes in smaller cages.

What is happening to her feathers?

Attachments

• 8A619F96-8F23-416D-8F77-3E48A8B24381.jpeg
    8A619F96-8F23-416D-8F77-3E48A8B24381.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 16

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
her feathers are upturned (Like a little ridge) about half inch from ends with some fraying.
View attachment 53739
New things: she grew back most of clipped feathers. Feathers are longer now and cross in back. She started flying a month ago and is just starting to perfect it. A fire also burned down the house 1 week ago and shes in smaller cages.

What is happening to her feathers?
View attachment 53739
View attachment 53739
Hello my friend. I don't see anything wrong with your birds flight feathers they appear to be in great condition to me. Some may look different to others because they grow back at different times

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Hello hello! Her feathers look fantastic! Flight feathers will curl slightly on the outer edge. Not sure why, but it is normal. Does she do a lot of flying when out? That could be part of it :)

Keep up the great work! :)

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Maybe malnutrition? What's her diet like? To me the feathers look discoloured but that may just be the colour of your bird. My conure has similar discolouration on some of her feathers and I know it's from a poor diet (I seem to have made every mistake in the book when it comes to feeding her).

OP
L

Lumi

Dec 21, 2022
Parrots
Her name is: Lumi
Species: Quaker Parrot
Type: Opaline green with yellow front and golden flecks
Born: August 2022
Maybe malnutrition? What's her diet like? To me the feathers look discoloured but that may just be the colour of your bird. My conure has similar discolouration on some of her feathers and I know it's from a poor diet (I seem to have made every mistake in the book when it comes to feeding her).
Ive been giving her harrisons during fire and being homeless have a house as of Thursday and going to put veggies back in

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
If you mean the little notches at the edges of your parrot's blue flight feathers, they're perfectly normal. It's called emargination, and it supposedly improves the ability to fly. Only a few types of parrots have emarginated flight feathers. Otherwise I don't see any major problems with her feathers.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Ive been giving her harrisons during fire and being homeless have a house as of Thursday and going to put veggies back in
Maybe it's not that then, I'm not really sure what else it could be. My conures feathers used to have the wave in them too but it stopped with an improved diet

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First of all: You are really lucky as house fires and it smoke commonly kill birds.
Add the small cage, new living area and stress can cause feather oddities.
That all said, You Parrot looks very good considering what has occurred over the last several days!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
First of all: You are really lucky as house fires and it smoke commonly kill birds.
Add the small cage, new living area and stress can cause feather oddities.
That all said, You Parrot looks very good considering what has occurred over the last several days!
Agree! I lost my home in an LA a wildfire back in '93 and it's very stressful, though my birds were evacuated in time. But your bird looks beautiful and healthy and you're both very lucky to have gotten out! Things can be replaced- they're just things- our loved ones, including our birds, cannot!

Most Reactions