Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THese are much more acceptable then any zinc plated metal ones. Best would be ones made from stainless steel - these would be 100% non-edible and no zinc or other coatings. Maybe a bit more $$ but peace of mind is never cheap.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Nylon tends to be a safe product, but the chemicals can be changed depending on application. Although rare, if the surface has a feeling of being oily or sticky, that is a sign of not a good chemical variation for Parrots.

OP
buurd

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Nylon tends to be a safe product, but the chemicals can be changed depending on application. Although rare, if the surface has a feeling of being oily or sticky, that is a sign of not a good chemical variation for Parrots.
So something like this is ok? It says stainless steel. Iā€™d be using them to clip foods and toys, sometimes to the cage.

Also I was thinking of making things he can perch on and connect toys he can play with to it; do you think those clips are ok for that? Again, I have a bourkes, so a tad smaller than an american parakeet.

And are any ropes at all ok to play with?
I donā€™t want anything he can gnaw fibers off of, because I donā€™t want crop impaction.

One more random question: Can he pick up a bird disease from sitting in the window, next to the screen?

Last edited:
OP
buurd

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Those clamps have many trap points for toes and other body parts!
Good point, thanks. Iā€™m not sure what kind of ss clips I can use to fasten things with, then.

I just read somewhere else on here that carpenters glue is ok for birds ā€¦ but the ingredients donā€™t look safe, at all.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I use variety of size claw-style hair clips for a lot of different purposes in my birds' cages.
hair clips
(I get mine from Market Basket grocery, or Dollar Tree, or Walmart, for best prices.) I attach lettuce, veggies, toys & etc inside their cages, and clip the food-doors closed with them. Also I clip the main doors with them when closed so I can SEE across the room that doors are secured. Depending on the location I sometimes use them for attaching or positioning toys; although, they are not as secure as regular clips. I have a big collection at this point, all different sizes.

I use these as well for some things (don't fit my bars well, though), since I have a collection of them for holding clothes to hangers:
clothes hanger clips

My budgies nor my conure have Never managed to scrape nor bite off any of the plastic of either type clips.

These small standard clips
are the clips that come attached to ANY purchased toys.
These are what I mostly use and re-use to attach most toys in the cage. I have never purchased these; i just save & re-use them from various toys. Again, I've never yet seen any damage to the finish to make me believe they've been able to ingest it.

Here are a larger type that are attached to some toys: bigger standard clips . I have a few of these that I also re-use, again so far no indications of birdies having been able to ingest.

For larger birds I would be more concerned about their ability to eat & ingest the plastic or the metal. However although keets certainly like to use their beaks, providing them with plenty of satisfactory toys & other chewables, etc., seems to distract them from obsessive attacks on the hangers less-desirable-to-them attachments. And their beaks are not quite large enough for mere-curiosity-and-then-move-on, to really ingest the plastic or metal of the clips. (Which I'd think more of a concern with larger beaks.)

OP
buurd

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
I have those usual ss clips that you tighten to close, but you have to fasten a hanging toy to it. Clips are more practical and easier to use with foods, too. I have those hair clips, but never thought to use them.
Heā€™s bitten me once when he didnā€™t want meds, and his bite force was like getting pinched by one of those clips, got me in the webbing of my thumb and didnā€™t let go. I probably had the wrong reaction, because it hurt, but it was so hilarious, that little look he had on his face, that I laughed šŸ˜„:whiteblue:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™ve used white glue (Elmerā€™s glue) to attach ties to bird toys since itā€™s nontoxic. I think wood glues are quite similar to Elmerā€™s glue.

Most Reactions

Latest posts