Are other species able to be caged with Budgies?

Livy

Dec 23, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Dee (Dedede)
Hello! I'm planning on purchasing another bird sometime in the next few months and am looking at Cockatiels/Parrotlet. I have a fairly big flight cage already and hopefully trying to avoid spending another $200 on another cage on top of the price of the new bird. So is it possible to cage them together? Or is the only way to buy a new cage? (Also I currently own one Budgie M :blue2:)

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Hi Livy

I do not know about Parrotlets but housing budgies and cockatiels together is not a good idea. The budgies will continually bully the cockatiels and may even bite their feet.

Cheers

Avin
:yellow1::yellow1::yellow1:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
I definitely would not put a parrotlet with the budgie, but a cockatiel would go perfectly fine if the cage is big enough......size of the cage is the main factor

OP
L

Livy

Dec 23, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Dee (Dedede)
My current cage is 31" by 20-1/2" by 53" and called the Prevue Hendryx F040 cage. Its definitely big enough to house several birds in but im unsure because of the different species.

OP
L

Livy

Dec 23, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Dee (Dedede)
Yeah from doing more research on my end i've seen people saying that more.. Would it be damaging/cruel to buy my Budgie a smaller cage and put the Cockatiel inside the large one? Atm I feel bad even thinking of reducing Dee's cage size, but he's out of the cage 90% of the time anyway.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Can you just buy the tiel a flight cage? I mean, you can get them for around $100 and a cheap cage that is too small is still likely going to set you back $45, so you may as well just spend the extra to make sure both birds have the space they need. Make sure you look for wide cages over tall ones-- you do want some vertical space for toys etc (and cage should be off the ground/on a stand) BUT, they fly side-to side, so that is just something to consider when shopping.

OP
L

Livy

Dec 23, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Dee (Dedede)
The options for other cages that are wide is pretty limited tbh, Canadian amazon sucks :( But I definitely will look into it thanks!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
The options for other cages that are wide is pretty limited tbh, Canadian amazon sucks :( But I definitely will look into it thanks!

I dunno about the bar-spacing on this (so whatever you do, make sure it is appropriate for the bird it holds)

but here is a cage--granted, it is $200, but Canadian dollars always seem high when you compare them to dollars and I don't understand how that all works as far as conversion, inflation etc.

https://www.amazon.ca/VIVOHOME-Wrou...1&keywords=Flight+Cage&qid=1615419594&sr=8-12

Most Reactions