|| Orange Winged amazon ||
African gray(Congo) ||
Quaker parrot ||
2 Eclectus ||
Caique ||
Cockatiel ||
Budgie ||
Red breasted Cockatoo ||
I have a little quaker name, Bob. hes about 3 years old but when I go to take him out of his house.. he bites me or really goes nuts and wont allow me. I ran out of patiences and just walked out of the room. when i do take him out, I have to hold him in a different room and he'll calm down. hes such a clown bird who sings + dances but he just doesn't have the right attitude.. any suggestions?

Also im thinking maybe he is very territorial because he acts like the king of his castle. not a hotshot when hes not around it

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I have found with Quakers that they are very cage terriotorial. Just keep working with him and hopefully things will get better.

tesignamint

Jun 13, 2008
try working with him in the other room away from his cage, also maybe if you wan to work with him the his cage is in move him cage in the other room. maybe use a t stand or play stand in that room. I am just going to guess but his cage is in the livingroom right?? hope this maybe helps also with the t/ play stand more it around that room. Hope this helps Jessica

jtittsworth

Jul 5, 2008
Baytown, Texas
Parrots
a Quaker Parrot and a Cockatiel.
I just purchased my first Quaker Parrot. I also have a Cockatiel. Can Cockatiels and Quaker Parrots interact safely?

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
Please be very carefull letting the quaker and tiel interact. Cockatiels are about the least offensive of all hookbills. Even budgies can beat them up.
A quaker could inflict serious harm if it wanted to.
That said, I have seen a quaker live peacefully with tiels.
You just have to use common sense and WATCH CAREFULLY.

Katyonka

Jun 30, 2008
Ellensburg, WA
Parrots
African Grey, Peach Front Conure, 2 Cockatiels, 4 Parakeets
My quakers have always been very cage territorial. Once I get them away from the cage they are fine. But they don't like me changing anything in their cages either.

I had one Quaker who would chase my kids up the stairs. He picked me and didn't want anyone else.

I also had a Quaker who loved to talk with my Cockatiels and they would carry on a conversation it was so cute. But I never left them unsupervised.

chellexlynn

May 13, 2009
ohio
Parrots
Quaker Parrot, Mokoto
Just got my quaker recently, she's in her young adult years.. and she is not clipped. I am terrified of birds but my boyfriend really wanted one. Whenever she comes out of her cage, she flies straight for me. Do you think she will harm me? Or is she just harmless? i want to make this work with her, just very scared. any suggestions about easing this acquaintance smoothly?
-Michelle

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
she flies straight for me

And then? What does she do, what do you do?

Birds are quite good at reading our behavior. If you are scared around a bird they are more likely to come after you - not because they have some sadistic need to torture people, but because if you are scared you are unpredictable. From the birds perspective they can tell that you are on edge, probably have a bit of adrenaline pumping, and your movements are for a lack of a better term may be spastic. This scares the hell out of birds, a human in that state is a threat to them so they will often attack.

But before much can be said about if there is hope for you and the bird we'd need to know more about what actually happens.

chellexlynn

May 13, 2009
ohio
Parrots
Quaker Parrot, Mokoto
yes my G/f used to duck when the bird starts to fly and squawk. now she's better and only ducks occasionally. i've never really gave any movements when she flies. but now she gets on my shoulder and wants to lick/beak my teeth 24/7 sometimes it hurts, and if i try to get her to step up to my hand she usually bites it, and if i keep my mouth closed she will dig her beak into my lower lip, or bite my ear pretty hard. ugh. . . . . i really like the bird alot but she just doesn't wanna cooperate. i also didn't realize how often the bird will fly and squawk, this is only a problem because we share a wall with someone else and we are not sure whether it bothers him (we went to his door a couple times while he was home and knocked on his door but he wouldn't answer.

debbie464

Aug 19, 2009
i have just gotten my first little quaker named samson and what i was wanting to know is is it safe to put shredded paper in the bottom of his cage, he is just 3 weeks and 3 days old and i noticed he was tryingto chew on the paper and i do not want to do anything to harm my baby in any way! thanks debbie

Most Reactions

Latest posts