Are sultanas bad?

Beak334

Nov 5, 2012
My rainbow lori is over 7 years old and very fussy about his food. His regular diet is apple, carrot, sultanas. lori dry and wet formulas and a bunch of bottlebrush or grevilia flowers every day.
I've read that raisins cause liver problems due to iron buildup, is it the same for other dried fruit?
His favorite treat is a handful of muesli.
He also likes a biscuit box or similar which he tunnels into and demolishes it into bite size pieces by the end of the day. Could he be lacking something?
He is still very healthy and doesn't look like giving up soon.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
My rainbow lori is over 7 years old and very fussy about his food. His regular diet is apple, carrot, sultanas. lori dry and wet formulas and a bunch of bottlebrush or grevilia flowers every day.
I've read that raisins cause liver problems due to iron buildup, is it the same for other dried fruit?
His favorite treat is a handful of muesli.
He also likes a biscuit box or similar which he tunnels into and demolishes it into bite size pieces by the end of the day. Could he be lacking something?

Depending where you are in this world, Grapes have different names!!! Hence, when you use a word that is not commonly associated with Grapes and individuals are totaling unaware that the terms are interchangeable you are faced with not getting a reply in a timely manner.

Grapes are not dangerous to parrots. BUT, they are covered with chemicals that protect them from insects, etc...

How much and and how big is a problem! As with near all fruits, they are heavy in natural sugars. So, limit the volume and size of the grapes. Also make sure that are well cleaned prior to providing.

Depending on the size of your Parrot one to two is more than enough and with smaller Parrots maybe only a half.

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA

That does not seem an indication that he is lacking anything in his diet, but rather he is enjoying himself with a fun activity! Anything that can keep him busy and curious is a GOOD thing!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My YNA loves to tear apart boxes.
2 of my male Tiels do the same.
I think you need to be careful if your bird is female. You don't want to encourage egg laying.
Sultanas in small amounts once and a while are ok. But the do contain sugar.
It's why my son likes them.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
The high sugar content and added preservatives in raisins and sultanas makes them not a food that is generally considered healthy for birds to eat.

https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/species/lory/

Muesli - examine the contents extremely carefully as a lot of human food contains both salt and sugar.

Last edited:

Most Reactions