Are tapioca beads safe for birds?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Obviously, I don't intend it as a 'food source' for Percy, I just want to give him a tiny bit now and then, in his mash, for a different taste and texture. I intend to soak and cook it and then rinse it off so its just the shiny bead that goes into his mix.

I cannot find conclusive info on its safety though. Any thoughts?

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Can't imagine why it wouldn't be safe, Mom, tapioca is almost pure starch.

Mattroma

Oct 22, 2013
Ma
Parrots
Quinn- Harlequin
Lemon and Blueberry Budgies
Did some searching and did stumble across a few instances of people feeding their birds tapioca pearls. But I could find an actually list saying tapioca is safe. But at least I now know what tapioca is, all these years of eating tapioca pudding and I never knew.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
We got an oriental shop here that sells them.
I always eyed them ,but never picked it up.

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Well, I got some and boy did it ever turn into a failed experiment! LoL! I had intentions of cooking them and adding them to his evening mash (which I'm also cooking today) so that he would get just one or two every so often, since they don't have any nutritional value. Like I said, I just wanted to add them for some change, a bit of fun.

However, I don't know what I did wrong but I got a pot of jelly like slime!! I tossed it all out and my birdy will now have ALL nutritious thingies in his mash! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts