Are there any breeders that will breed parrot Hybrids?

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
I don’t have any, but I am looking to get one.
Are there any breeders that will breed parrot Hybrids, like an Indian ringneck parrot × Australian King parrot × Eastern rosella Hybrid?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
No ethical breeder would. Hybrid parrots (especially from different species) are very prone to health concerns and usually die young if they hatch at all.

edit: and to add one, a bird containing genes from all 3 of those parent birds would be considered a gen 3 hybrid. Hybrid parrots are very very rarely fertile, and will almost never be able to produce a third gen baby. Macaws being the exception since theyre still all closely related.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I wonder if rosella hybrids would be fertile. I think hybrids within the genus are probably fertile but not a good idea as they mix up the gene pool. Sort of like the idea that a regular peach faced lovebird can be rare because there are so many mutations.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I don't think this would be even possible - they are members of three different genera and I've never heard about any fertile intergenus hybrid, not mentioning that Indian ringneck is in a different subfamily than other two, what would make even harder to breed

People above made good points and said why it's not even worth trying. I can just add a point about health complications which have higher risk with next generations and mixing less related species

OP
N

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
Is there a reason you chose those three species or was it random?
Indian ringneck is actually in the same subfamily as Australian King Parrot, and Australian King Parrot can breed with Rainbow lorikeets, which Rainbow lorikeet can breed with Crimson rosellas, so that’s why I thought It was possible

OP
N

Nosari Viper

Nov 13, 2022
Parrots
I don't think this would be even possible - they are members of three different genera and I've never heard about any fertile intergenus hybrid, not mentioning that Indian ringneck is in a different subfamily than other two, what would make even harder to breed

People above made good points and said why it's not even worth trying. I can just add a point about health complications which have higher risk with next generations and mixing less related species
Indian ringneck is actually in the same subfamily as Australian King Parrot, and Australian King Parrot can breed with Rainbow lorikeets, which Rainbow lorikeet can breed with Crimson rosellas, so that’s why I thought It was possible

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
There’s no way to say whether you’d get a living chick from one of those crossbreedings and then from the next crossbreeding as well.

It might happen. But since those parrots are increasingly rare it seems a shame to possibly make a mixed species hybrid. If you want to breed more healthy members of a bird species you need to have good dna.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
during writing this post I confused something - of course rosellas are in different subfamily than other two but it doesn't matter... because it's impossible to cross 3 different genera anyway.

I was answering your questions but I'm against hybrids - I find them interesting but I know the consequences and I don't support doing it. Some hybrids are kinda natural (they happen in the wild) but obviously not such intergenus hybrids... (ok, sometimes exceptions happen but it's because eg there was no the same genus nearby).

As Heather said - if you want healthy chicks, don't crossbreed

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
One more reason to not crossbreed: It makes it really difficult to get them a same-species, ideally opposite-sex companion (without it being a relative). I have seen the magic of same-species companionship many times. (Within the past week I introduced two brown-throated conures who had never seen another brown-throated conure since they were removed from the clutch.) A friend and I tried hard to find a same-species companion for a hybrid conure, but we could never even determine for sure what the conure was (adopted/rehomed with no history), much less find one like it to become a companion.

Most Reactions

Latest posts