are there safe house hold cleaners?

BiscuitTheQuaker

Jan 18, 2018
Media
Austin, TX
Parrots
Blue Quaker Parrot - Biscuit
Green Budgie - Verdy
Hello again guys! We just moved to a new home where only the bedrooms have carpet where as the rest of the house has tiled flooring. We want to be very cautious about our house cleaning items, especially for all the mopping. The birds' rooms are in the carpeted area but there are bird stations everywhere. 1 2yo quaker & a few middle-aged doves live here. We have powerful ventilation & air circulation. Talk to yall soon <3 :gcc::green2:

What do yall use for home tile cleaner?

April

Apr 17, 2018
Philly
Parrots
Female eclectus April,male eclectus Buddha(hulk)
We use Charles laundry detergent so far it’s been excellent no scent and a liquid huge bottle we where told it’s terrible for laundry machines so been using it every where else really even spry bottles for counters , personally I can’t stand the smell of vinegar. The cement under aviary only once but worked great. And all floors and walls too.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Anywhere the bird is going to be I use F10. It's very safe to use (you can even clean their sprouts with it) and it also sanitizes if you leave it for at least 10 minutes and then wipe away. I ordered a small container of it on Amazon and then had to dilute it since its very strong. But it's a very good cleaner for most surfaces and easily cleans messes and is used by veterinarians.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Elbow grease mostly - warm water and a brush.

If the mess is really bad I use St. Marks (very diluted btw)
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61OkERdpnzL._SY879_.jpg
and a clean water rinse after that.
(works great on old dried poop)

I can't stand the smells of most cleaning products - so I will go for things like lemonjuice, baking soda, scrubbing with salt etc.etc.
(the things out great-grandmothers used before we had all those specialized cleaning products, there are thousands of options)

Babywhipes for fresh accidents (on anything) are my naughty pleasure ;)
(these also come in neutral and obnoxiously scented, so choose well! )

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm so paranoid. I'm afraid of almost everything but elbow grease, Dawn detergent, vinegar and sunlight. Easy for me to say, though... just one bird. :)

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
I use Poop-Off as my primary cleaner for anything near Yoda or his cage. I use Dawn dish soap for cleaning his bowls and toys of course. I use Method All-purpose natural cleanser for cleaning around the house, in areas away from Yoda. It works well enough for cleaning bathrooms and tiles, I've read that it's supposedly safe for birds, but to be safe I still avoid using it around Yoda.

The best thing I've found are the Mr Clean magic erasers. The little sponges have the cleanser in them, so there's nothing being sprayed into the air. I don't smell anything from them. But what I like best is that the darn things actually work REALLY well for cleaning, even hard to clean stuff like grout and soap scum and calcium, etc.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My primary bird room has a tile floor protected by a covering of painters plastic. Areas surrounding their cages and playstands are covered with a secondary layer that is swept daily and changed weekly. Every few weeks the entire floor is uncovered and washed with hot water and diluted vinegar. Safe and effective, it is thoroughly air-dried before new plastic is laid.

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Just vinegar and water works fine for me. I keep up with the floors daily so they don't really require anything stronger.

For dried on bird poop, I just spray it with water and vinegar in a spray bottle, let it sit for a couple of minutes and it wipes right up with a paper towel. Any wetting agent will work for dried bird poop, you don't have to buy any special cleaners.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Also vinegar and water (70/30) with a few drops of Dawn dish soap for all cages, perches, toys, etc. For hardened bird poop I also pre-soak with a saturated paper towel. It comes off after a few minutes.

I use the same solution in all rooms. The smell really does go away once dry and leaves no lingering residue unlike other commercial cleaners. In fact, vinegar is a great deodorizer. For the toilet and certain parts of the bathroom, I do still resort to commercial cleaners but I make sure I ventilate the whole place.

Most Reactions