Are these feathers acceptable for use for DNA sexing?

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
I decided to pluck chest feathers then attempt toe trim I hope these are acceptable for ?

Attachments

• 20220313_194638.jpg
    20220313_194638.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220313_194617.jpg
    20220313_194617.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 50

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
As far as I know, feather testing isn't as accurate as blood testing. I think feathers need some blood in it in order to be tested :)

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
As far as I know, feather testing isn't as accurate as blood testing. I think feathers need some blood in it in order to be tested :)

I was advised by my vet that either works. But safer for the bird to do the feather testing then blood testing with their nasty habit of not stopping bleeding very well.

"Pluck 4-6 medium sized feathers from the chest area of the bird and place them in a zip-lock bag. The quantity of feathers plucked is not as important as the quality. Ensure that the feather tip, which is attached to the skin, is present (white coloration). Large feathers may contain some blood which should be left on the feather." Was what I got from the website.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
you didn't get the tips....so I am unsure if these will work.
Sorry....
I find just barely tip blood
nail so you get one slow drop of blood. Is less painful to them than plucking ( personal opinion, but judging from their reaction)

You only need one drop of blood... thrn I held off with flour. You might see them loose a few more drops of blood but thsts ok. Just don't cut the nail short. Start with just tiny tip....see if a drop will come...then trim ever so slightly higher

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
you didn't get the tips....so I am unsure if these will work.
Sorry....
I find just barely tip blood
nail so you get one slow drop of blood. Is less painful to them than plucking ( personal opinion, but judging from their reaction)

You only need one drop of blood... thrn I held off with flour. You might see them loose a few more drops of blood but thsts ok. Just don't cut the nail short. Start with just tiny tip....see if a drop will come...then trim ever so slightly higher
He absolutely will not stand for his nails being trimmed, I can't even do my own nails without him fleeing.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
My bird vet suggested highly against doing the nail one, even when I asked for help to do it.

She offered to draw blood but it would have been a bit more costly as it was just a check up rather then getting blood work done.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
that's fine, always best to stick with you comfort level.

I've done 9 DNA send out from the online , without issues. But I've had lots of practice trimming nails and feel comfortable and safe doing so.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
that's fine, always best to stick with you comfort level.

I've done 9 DNA send out from the online , without issues. But I've had lots of practice trimming nails and feel comfortable and safe doing so.
Yeah for sure, rei just isn't comfortable with the nail trimming. Filing is fine but actually using clippers seem to bother him on any critter it seems even if they aren't throwing a hiss fit on it.

Most Reactions