Are these foods safe ?

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Hi,
I went to our nearest overseas store and managed to buy a ChowChow (chayote) and some fresh lychees. They also had custard apples and apple bananas. But I didn't buy those. Can anyone tell me are any of these safe/toxic for Eclectus please.
thank you

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I have no idea if chayote is safe. Lychee is safe, but I have read conflicting information as to whether the seeds inside of it are safe or not. Apples are safe but not the seeds. Bananas are fine. Custard apples are another debatable one. As some people believe that custard apple seeds are good for parrots because they contain vitamins and minerals that are beneficial for the birdā€™s health. Other people believe that custard apple seeds are not good for parrots because they can contain toxins that can be harmful to the bird. I personally stay away from anything that is not listed as totally safe for me it is just not worth the risk. Plus your Eclectus really should be eating more vegetables than fruit.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
I have no idea if chayote is safe. Lychee is safe, but I have read conflicting information as to whether the seeds inside of it are safe or not. Apples are safe but not the seeds. Bananas are fine. Custard apples are another debatable one. As some people believe that custard apple seeds are good for parrots because they contain vitamins and minerals that are beneficial for the birdā€™s health. Other people believe that custard apple seeds are not good for parrots because they can contain toxins that can be harmful to the bird. I personally stay away from anything that is not listed as totally safe for me it is just not worth the risk. Plus your Eclectus really should be eating more vegetables than fruit.
Thank you , yes I agree usually things That are debatable I stay away from too. I give vegetables. He only has two pieces of fruit in the eveNing only. I was getting low on normal apples so looking at an alternatives. Iā€™d never heard of an ā€˜apple bananaā€™ but it was quite green & he likes his food very ripe or he throws it out his cage šŸ¤£ I like the overseas food shop, (Thai/Asian/Indian) they have all the more unusual foods in, not like our run of the mill supermarket Stores. (They donā€™t even do fresh lychees or plantains)
I found out Chow Chow is a gourd, so I cut him a slice for lunch but he didnā€™t even give it the time of day. Ir wasnā€™t even good enough to investigate . It is very green and looks nowhere near ripe. back To pumpkin šŸŽƒ lunch.

Last edited:

Most Reactions