Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
So the local pet store I go to to get food, toys, and treats for Maddox ran out of spray millet I usually give to him as a treat. The lady working up front recommended these colorful stick things instead. Maddox seems to like them, but I have never seen them before and just want to ensure they are healthy to give him. Of course, this a treat, so I only give them to him occasionally.

Attachments

• IMG_2469.jpg
    IMG_2469.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 54
  • 8treat.jpeg
    8treat.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 51

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
They wont kill your bird overnight but they're very not good. Anything that heavily dyed is usually a no. I took a look at the ingredients and the first one is sun flower seeds which is eh but then the second on is just sugar. In the US, ingredients are listed in order of how much was used in the product. so sugar being in 2nd place is really bad. Then corn syrup was I think 4th place and that's just another kind of sugar. These are essentially just really fatty, sugary, dyed sticks and I wouldnt recommend giving them to your bird. Natural forms of sugar (like fruit) is healthier for them as its accompanied by other nutrition. These have 0 nutrition in them and I just would not recommend it.

OP
maddox

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Parrots
They wont kill your bird overnight but they're very not good. Anything that heavily dyed is usually a no. I took a look at the ingredients and the first one is sun flower seeds which is eh but then the second on is just sugar. In the US, ingredients are listed in order of how much was used in the product. so sugar being in 2nd place is really bad. Then corn syrup was I think 4th place and that's just another kind of sugar. These are essentially just really fatty, sugary, dyed sticks and I wouldnt recommend giving them to your bird. Natural forms of sugar (like fruit) is healthier for them as its accompanied by other nutrition. These have 0 nutrition in them and I just would not recommend it.
Thanks for the input! I threw them out. What are some treats you would recommend?

Chomper

Sep 27, 2022
Media
Parrots
Green cheek conure
So the local pet store I go to to get food, toys, and treats for Maddox ran out of spray millet I usually give to him as a treat. The lady working up front recommended these colorful stick things instead. Maddox seems to like them, but I have never seen them before and just want to ensure they are healthy to give him. Of course, this a treat, so I only give them to him occasionally.
well, the other people in this thread have already said that the high amounts of sugar aren’t good for the bird. I think a good alternative would be nuts, my green cheek conure enjoys walnuts the most and he actually likes it more than millet 😭, not all birds are the same though. I hope you can find something for him!

OP
maddox

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Parrots
well, the other people in this thread have already said that the high amounts of sugar aren’t good for the bird. I think a good alternative would be nuts, my green cheek conure enjoys walnuts the most and he actually likes it more than millet 😭, not all birds are the same though. I hope you can find something for him!
thanks so much! Ill give that a try

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thanks for the input! I threw them out. What are some treats you would recommend?
Treats my Gcc likes are freeze-dried kiwi (his most fav!) and of course millet. My Quaker loves walnut, almond, goji berries, or really any other dried fruit. though dried fruit is very sugary and should very limited.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Plain popcorn and tiny pieces of dried fruit, berry or cherry are a hit here. Or tiny pieces of hard cheese.

I know Willow would do anything for a Cheeto but he’s not getting them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts