At Home DNA Tests

GretcheNicole1987

Oct 27, 2022
Idaho
Parrots
A hybrid Sunday Conure
Morning all,
I made a wellness appointment for my 10 month old Jenday for this Friday and asked if I could get her DNA tested. They quoted $286.62 for the DNA test alone. I have seen where you can do home tests for around $30.

My questions are:
1. Are the home tests accurate?
2. Can you use any feathers to send off or do they have to be new? (I collect "hers" regularly)
3. What are the best home test brands?

Any other useful information would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Lana 2.jpg
    Lana 2.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 26

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Morning all,
I made a wellness appointment for my 10 month old Jenday for this Friday and asked if I could get her DNA tested. They quoted $286.62 for the DNA test alone. I have seen where you can do home tests for around $30.

My questions are:
1. Are the home tests accurate?
2. Can you use any feathers to send off or do they have to be new? (I collect "hers" regularly)
3. What are the best home test brands?

Any other useful information would be greatly appreciated!
The cheapest tests will be about 50% accurate 😉
Such a pretty bird!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm in Canada, and everyone I know does the home tests here, they are very accurate.
There have been a lot of people post here that used them in the US, and that's the first time I've ever heard that they are only 50% accurate. Perhaps they used a different company than Donna is thinking of.

Most Reactions