Attention Canadian bird lovers!*Important*

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Paisley, pineapple green cheek born February 12, 2021, and
Daisy the most beautiful Pineapple green cheek, currently flying in paradise RIP February 2, 2020 – August 14, 2021
Hello everyone! I am posting this in regards to a recent proposed bylaw that they want to mandate in Winnipeg, Canada – and later on in all of Canada – which bans the ownership of all exotic animals, including birds. Please see the link below and sign the petition if you are Canadian. We must support responsible stewardship! Thank you for kind your attention!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
This appears to be legit! And quite serious! I am researching it’s progress.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks so much for elevating an ill advised draconian measure, broadening awareness and mobilizing opposition. Yet another scapegoating of responsible stewardship while scofflaws would likely harbor newly banned species/breeds. I would have signed, but response seems limited to Canadian citizens/residents.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I had hoped that group had been disbanded for its questionable data and the dangerous concept of limiting a healthy source of Parrot to repopulate areas that have lost their Parrots to Weather, Earthquakes, etc, that have caused serious population losses.

The Island Parrots of the Gulf of Mexico and East represent a clear example of what can Happen when a series of Strong Storms cross the same area.

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon, 2 Cockatiels and 2 Budgies
Hello everyone! I am posting this in regards to a recent proposed bylaw that they want to mandate in Winnipeg, Canada – and later on in all of Canada – which bans the ownership of all exotic animals, including birds. Please see the link below and sign the petition if you are Canadian. We must support responsible stewardship! Thank you for kind your attention!

I’m a Canadian who has been living on the Texas/Mexican border (husbands American) however my husband and I plan to go back and forth between the two countries once our kids finish school, of course bringing our feathered babies with us. How’s my Newfinese fluent Amazon ever going to be understood by anyone but me if he’s not allowed in? I am going to sign this petition right now.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I’m a Canadian who has been living on the Texas/Mexican border (husbands American) however my husband and I plan to go back and forth between the two countries once our kids finish school, of course bringing our feathered babies with us. How’s my Newfinese fluent Amazon ever going to be understood by anyone but me if he’s not allowed in? I am going to sign this petition right now.

Thanks for the heads up on this.
If you are planning on taking your Amazon across into Canada and back into the US, you will need to have a strong, well-developed Medical file and clear documentation of ownership. Have your Green Sweetheart Microchipped would be a great idea. Also, if your Amazon is under five years old, having a Hatch Document will become ever more important!

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
If you are planning on taking your Amazon across into Canada and back into the US, you will need to have a strong, well-developed Medical file and clear documentation of ownership. Have your Green Sweetheart Microchipped would be a great idea. Also, if your Amazon is under five years old, having a Hatch Document will become ever more important!
Thank you so much for this info!

I was actually going to post a question for this on here last week because we are in the process of planning a trip for the summer. I haven’t been home since 2005 and found homesickness is a real thing!
I’ve been scouring the web for info and found more broken links than anything else. Some info was confusing talking about permits, pet passports and laws about ownership.

Where we live illegal trapping is very common since we see flocks of Amazon’s often, even wild double yellow heads like our feathered boy are spotted occasionally. So we’ve been careful in keeping documents to prove we got ours from a breeder. We have hatch certificate and receipts for our Amazon as well as his DNA paperwork(proving his species and sex). The DNA forms have our names and our boy Mummer’s name on it(he’s only 6 months but already says his name and that he’s a good boy haha)

We have an appointment with avian vet tomorrow after a 4 month wait to get him in. The breeder we got him from is really good about not selling babies until a vet checks them out and does vaccines however I haven’t any paperwork for that to prove it so next visit to breeder for nail trim I will ask if there is any.

I was planning on asking the vet tomorrow about having Mummer microchipped. Even if not traveling I’d feel better if he was chipped. I will be sure to get another appointment with vet for before we leave since the wait is so long.

Do you know how long you have after getting a wellness check up to cross border? Everything I found online about it didn’t give a timeline or at least that I could decipher.

Thanks again for the info. You truly were more helpful than what bit of information was able to find online. It’s awesome you thought to mention it since I was going to ask!

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Thank you so much for this info!
I was actually going to post a question for this on here last week because we are in the process of planning a trip this summer. I haven’t been home since 2005.
I’ve been scouring the web for info and found more broken links than anything. Some info was confusing talking about permits and everything and pet passports. We have hatch certificate and receipts for our Amazon and DNA paperwork with our names and our boy Mummer’s name is on it(he’s only 6 months but already says his name if you ask, which should prove he is who the papers say he is)We have an appointment with avian vet tomorrow morning which had been a 4 month wait to get him in with only 1 avian vet in our area. I was planning on asking the vet about having Mummer microchipped tomorrow. Even if not traveling I’d feel better if he was chipped.
I had hoped that group had been disbanded for its questionable data and the dangerous concept of limiting a healthy source of Parrot to repopulate areas that have lost their Parrots to Weather, Earthquakes, etc, that have caused serious population losses.

The Island Parrots of the Gulf of Mexico and East represent a clear example of what can Happen when a series of Strong Storms cross the same area

The Island Parrots of the Gulf of Mexico and East represent a clear example of what can Happen when a series of Strong Storms cross the same area.
Your 100% right about this. After looking at the site linked here, that group does need to be disbanded! I was shocked how many statements were made about different types of animals and their “owners” not only just about birds that was entirely misinformed. Even if their intentions are good as they claim, this is a terribly misinformed, and damaging way to go about it and will do far more harm.

I’ve been witnessing how weather effects parrot populations(parrots native to Mexico) first hand living where wild flocks of parrots had been something you saw daily, in 1996 when my parents first moved us here from Canada and there had been so many wild parrots, I’m talking like thousands that would cover trees around city each night, year round until you saw more feathers than leaves. They were just as common as crows, maybe even more. They were loud so most people in this area viewed them with annoyance. Now we see flocks come through only a few times a year and when they do nowhere near as many and they are significantly smaller and do not stay. Last year I only saw one flock of less than a hundred or so that hung out for a few days on the power lines around our house snacking on corn in corn field behind us then moved on.

It seems like when we started getting far more rain, flash flooding, and hurricanes that are stronger with colder winters that’s when it changed and we don’t see them much anymore. Illegal trapping has always been an issue, but I doubt that it would cause the populations to drop to point we barely see them. It used to be worse before the laws were actually enforced and the social stigma associated with it. From what I gathered that group has a really outdated rational for banning exotic birds and that is scary!

OP
Farnoosh

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Daisy the most beautiful Pineapple green cheek, currently flying in paradise RIP February 2, 2020 – August 14, 2021
Interesting conversations – thank you everyone. And Thank you for your support.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As a finish to my off-subject Post.

An "Avian Wellness Document" has a very limited time period and just to add fun to it all, they vary from Country to Country. As a General Statement, it is commonly 4 to 6 weeks from the issuing date. Our Avian Vet has her clients start an In-Home quarantine four-weeks prior to your departure and stops by to complete a weekly or every other week Wellness Test and on the last day prior to your departure, she brings the document and signs it for that day. Note, you may have to do the same coming back into the US.

With SARS-COVID-2 what is happening at the Boards is anyone guess. If you are driving, it will be very different from your flying requirements. IF flying check with your Airline of Choice for their latest requirements. Michigan has six auto truck crossings and each is different!

Last edited:
OP
Farnoosh

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Hi everyone! I just found out that another province (Saskatchewan) in Canada has already implemented this law, and moreover,
large macaws that outlive their owners after November 30, 2021, will be put down!! How is this humane? Please see:

OP
Farnoosh

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Hi everyone! I just found out that another province (Saskatchewan) in Canada has already implemented this law, and moreover,
large macaws that outlive their owners after November 30, 2021, will be put down!! How is this humane? Please see:
I hope we realize that this is quite serious!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Bumping up for awareness. Who knows which State or Territory will try to enact a similar law next?!

OP
Farnoosh

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Was the bylaw approved ?
In Saskatchewan yes. I have been told by the authorities that eventually it will be all of Canada. In my opinion, if it happens in Canada, other countries may jump on board. This is why it's important to act immediately, even if it doesn't actually affect us right now.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
In Saskatchewan yes. I have been told by the authorities that eventually it will be all of Canada. In my opinion, if it happens in Canada, other countries may jump on board. This is why it's important to act immediately, even if it doesn't actually affect us right now.
Sorry I should have been specific, was the bylaw approved for Winnipeg Canada? I agree completely with that statement but I believe it's up to Canadians. I'm not sure what non citizens can do. A few years ago a similar law was tried to be implemented in Rhode Island but it didn't pass. This was to take all pet ownership away and implement something called pet guardianship.

OP
Farnoosh

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Sorry I should have been specific, was the bylaw approved for Winnipeg Canada? I agree completely with that statement but I believe it's up to Canadians. I'm not sure what non citizens can do. A few years ago a similar law was tried to be implemented in Rhode Island but it didn't pass. This was to take all pet ownership away and implement something called pet guardianship.
In Winnipeg not yet. I'm glad that it didn't pass in Rhode Island. I hope this doesn't pass either. Yes you are right, it is up to Canadians. I was hoping there would be a bunch of Canadians on this forum, and also to raise awareness in general!

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I have good news about the Bylaw you guys are talking about - It was essentially laughed at by Winnipeg and the city is going to see if chickens can be allowed in. There was a huge push by reptile and bird owners that educated the city councillors, including the idiot who proposed the change in the responsible Pet Ownership bylaw. He didn't even know birds could be kept indoors! **facepalm**

OP
Farnoosh

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
I have good news about the Bylaw you guys are talking about - It was essentially laughed at by Winnipeg and the city is going to see if chickens can be allowed in. There was a huge push by reptile and bird owners that educated the city councillors, including the idiot who proposed the change in the responsible Pet Ownership bylaw. He didn't even know birds could be kept indoors! **facepalm**
OMG I'm so happy to hear that thank you for letting us know!

Most Reactions

Latest posts