Australian Bird Of The Year 2019 Poll, and the winner is.......

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
for all you finch fanciers out there, the Black Throated Finch!

There are suggestions that perhaps this year's poll was influenced by some political goings-on here since, unfortunately, the black throated finch's native range in central Queensland is under threat from the future building of an enormous coal mine - so you can tick several boxes of environmental concerns right there!!

The only parrots that made it into the top 10 were the sulphur crested cockatoo and the rainbow lorikeet, probably through sheer force of numbers!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/15/black-throated-finch-wins-2019-bird-of-the-year-as-tawny-frogmouth-comes-second

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Well, wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...!!!!!!!!!!!!

These little guys?
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtQIdH-8CcI"]Black-Throated Finch - YouTube[/ame]

Congratulations, y'all!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Yes. I was cross. Once again, the most noble bird on the planet, the Powerful Owl, was overlooked in favour of a cutesy-putesy little songster. Oh well. There's always next year. Plenty of time to start sending out bribes! :D

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I see finches all the time at the pet shop. Always wondered if they,and canaries,could be tamed to be like budgies and cockatiels,to be a "companion" of sorts :confused: Tiny little grasshoppers they are.

Jim

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
I see finches all the time at the pet shop. Always wondered if they,and canaries,could be tamed to be like budgies and cockatiels,to be a "companion" of sorts :confused: Tiny little grasshoppers they are.

Jim

I have been breeding Finches for around 5 years now, and yes the Black throats did get my vote, but they need this recognition in order to allow people to be aware of this endangered species
And Jim, Finches have been tamed before for pet companions by only Zebra Finches work in this way, but still they are very flighty, hard to hand rear (hand rearing is very hard with finches and I know that for a matter of fact)
Black Throats are truly lovely birds, and I know many breeders that I can go out and purchase them from
Thanks
Noah Till

Most Reactions

Latest posts