Auto Dimming Light?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
For the last three years, I have been using a DRIFT lightbulb in my Conures room. This bulb goes from fully on, to auto dimming, to off in a thirty minute period. This simulates a sunset which gives my guy time to settle in.
This bulb works great but is no longer available.

I understand that there are smart bulbs available that should mimic this by using Alexa or Google Assist.
Supposedly you can use an LIFX dimming bulb and then run a “routine” to make it work.
My question is has anyone done this? Like everything else, reviews say it works while others say it doesn’t.

Since my Conure has been used to auto dimming for three years, I would hate to just turn the light off on him at bedtime.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is no question that auto dimming provides a consistent end of the day. And, as you have noted, there are 'programs' that can provide like dimming.

The underlining problem is either 'drifting' of the schedule, or simply failing to start or finish.

Technology is truly great right-up to the point that it isn't. I have stopped using it /them, as I seem to be spending far too much time messing with it /them. I have switched over to simply follow the Sun's natural day and as it varies over the year by using manual dimmers.

Assure that you are not providing High-Noon Lighting for evening /night lighting. We have backed the lighting down and have found that we are sleep better.

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I have Alexa and bulbs that will dim, but I have never tried this. I suspect it would work fine - I do use multiple other routines. I will say that you need to check the functioning of the routine regularly, as sometimes they mystically stop doing some or all of their set tasks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maryrick

Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
I have an african grey parrot.
Wow, this is just a great feature for smart light bulbs. I also get a lot of pleasure from it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I turn off all the lights in our living/dining/kitchen, except for 1, about a 1/2hr before its time for Salty to go into his cage for the night. He gets covered, but the cover doesn't extend all the way down and the 1 light is left on all night so he can see a bit.

Most Reactions