Average daily flight distances for different species of parrots?

Xeladore

Mar 12, 2022
Also for parrot species that aren't nomadic how large their typical "roaming range" is. I'm also curious about the average distance different bird species cover in a single flight - ie which species tend to fly long distances across open fields vs birds that spend most of their time in flight going from one tree to the tree right next to it.

I realise this is a big question and there might not be any hard numbers for most parrot species. However if you happen to know off-hand for a certain species (preferably with a source if you can remember) - it would be very useful to me. Definitely any books/resources where I might find this info would be very much appreciated.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
At this moment I'm not able to say any numbers. Somewhere I read how many meters bourkes need to speed up to their favorite speed - the only thing I remember is that my flat is too small :(

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not surprising, that has far more to do with their diet and its availabilities at different times of the year. It also has much to do with their feathers as with Parrots, those with larger flight surfaces tend to fly for longer distances.

So, how long do you normal obese about new things before you move-on (quoting another of your Posts). Not sure where you had been researching obtaining a Parrot. Understand that the wide spectrum of Parrots also have a wide spectrum of purchase costs, cage costs and Vet costs, not to mention cost of food and time for clean-up, Plus the general size of the space needed. There is also the noise factor as depending on your living situation, most apartments will have restrictions as do Suburb Associations.. Most Parrots do Bite! And, that could be a major drawback.

OP
X

Xeladore

Mar 12, 2022
So, how long do you normal obese about new things before you move-on (quoting another of your Posts). Not sure where you had been researching obtaining a Parrot. Understand that the wide spectrum of Parrots also have a wide spectrum of purchase costs, cage costs and Vet costs, not to mention cost of food and time for clean-up, Plus the general size of the space needed. There is also the noise factor as depending on your living situation, most apartments will have restrictions as do Suburb Associations.. Most Parrots do Bite! And, that could be a major drawback.
I'm guessing you meant "obsess" - if not 2 weeks then the rest of my life usually. I know how big a commitment this is which is why I'm doing further research- I don't anticipate being in a position to have a bird for a long time yet. I don't know why you've decided to be hostile towards me - if I came across as argumentative in the free flight thread I only meant to gain a deeper understanding of things and not because I was trying to justify a personal impulse to disregard all recommendations.

Yes I'm aware of these factors and the information is fairly easy to obtain compared to the questions I've been asking here (although I still have some questions about diet but I'll be asking them later). My questions are not an indication of my priorities but just trying to fill in the gaps, as they occur to me.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have a lot of curiosity about parrots lives as they lead them in their native environment and flock.

There just isn't/hasn't been much studying of them. Partly because they can't place trackers on them. The parrots aren't tolerant of that and disable and break/ or remove them...I think i have an article on that . And partly because its difficult to observe and follow them in persin in the rain forest.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Budgies: up to 500km/day
Crazy to think some of the most powerful and athletic fliers are most commonly sold for $25, and kept in tiny cages all day :(

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
"I don't know why you've decided to be hostile towards me."
That was not hostility, disbelief, yes.

I continue to be surprised that so many cannot find information with the vastness of the internet available. The information is out there and not that difficult to find. But also easy to disregard if it differs from what one wants to hear. Yes, it is hard to fight though the tons of Bad /Junk Science out there, but easy to do if you understand what Good Science looks like and where to define the difference in the documents.

There are excellent studies on Parrots and their natural range(s). But not available on all Parrots as the primary issue is funding. Specific species have greater followings and as a result more studies and many very detailed.

There are very few Parrot Species that enter Rain Forests. But those that do only stay for the warm season as Rain Forests are a Mix of very cold winters and equally hot /humid Summers. Vastly more Parrots are found in the Jungle regions of the World. The move to call Jungles; Rain Forests came about when there was a belief that doings would slow the destruction of the Jungle areas of the World. But, that has only resulted in ever more Jungle area being clear-cut.

OP
X

Xeladore

Mar 12, 2022
There are excellent studies on Parrots and their natural range(s). But not available on all Parrots as the primary issue is funding. Specific species have greater followings and as a result more studies and many very detailed.
I continue to be surprised that so many cannot find information with the vastness of the internet available. The information is out there and not that difficult to find
So there is less information on some species than others - that's precisely why I ask, in case someone here happens to know, for their species of bird, whether through having read some restricted access journal article or whatever, something that I can't find. I suspected that a lot of the information wasn't going to be available due to the difficulties pointed out by lauresa but figured there was no harm in asking just in case - perhaps I am wrong, is this a thread duplicate? Is parrotforums.com not apart of the vast internet?

By the way If you do know where I can find the average daily flight distance of galahs and cockatiels I would be very much obliged. I'm trying to get an idea for a wide range of parrot species however - some I've found answers to, some I have not - hence the question.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Guys, please stop fighting. This is getting you two basically nowhere, and it always pays to be kinder than you think you need to. What you say could really hurt someone, and you don't know how badly it may affect them.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Through out this thread are all the true scientific studies i have found, plus articles i like.

Please would love you to add any scientific studies you find! Or behavior/health articles you like!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
"I don't know why you've decided to be hostile towards me."
That was not hostility, disbelief, yes.

I continue to be surprised that so many cannot find information with the vastness of the internet available. The information is out there and not that difficult to find.

He came here to ParrotForums to ask questions, which is what we encourage people to do here.
I obsess over things I am planning on, and go off on different tangents myself.

This thread has gone way off topic as to what the OP asked, but Laura has brought it back to the original question.
Anything else off topic will be removed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts