Away time

Tom S

Aug 16, 2022
Hello everyone, I currently do not own a parrot, I have been researching daily and the main problem for me is work, and the time that I won't be home, does anyone know which type of parrot can be left alone (if any) with minimum fear of coming home and seeing that the bird has plucked itself? I work nights so if the bird is sleeping, this doesn't count as away time? never having a bird before I don't think I can handle having 2 birds, maybe later, but not now. Buy the big cage, fill it with toys, leave a radio on, does any of this guarantee a bird won't pluck, probably not. Maybe I should wait 5 years for retirement before I try this? I will read any comments you all have and will continue my research, thank you

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
To clarify, do you work evenings until midnight or whatever time or do you work overnight?
If you can spend the day/afternoon with the bird after you get up, they may actually have more attention because you could have them out for several hours.
Lots of toys would help when you aren't there.
What kind of parrot are you thinking about getting? Some are more known for plucking than others.

OP
T

Tom S

Aug 16, 2022
To clarify, do you work evenings until midnight or whatever time or do you work overnight?
If you can spend the day/afternoon with the bird after you get up, they may actually have more attention because you could have them out for several hours.
What kind of parrot are you thinking about getting? Some are more known for plucking than others.
I work 4p to 2a, either a conure or cockatiel, thx

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
It is great for two parrots to have each other. Lots of people keep two Cockatiels or two Budgies. I have two Conures right now. They are great for each other. They have each other at all times. I could not give them anywhere near that much time or attention.

OP
T

Tom S

Aug 16, 2022
It is great for two parrots to have each other. Lots of people keep two Cockatiels or two Budgies. I have two Conures right now. They are great for each other. They have each other at all times. I could not give them anywhere near that much time or attention.
Do they still give you the attention that they give each other? I heard that if you have 2 birds it is better to train them separately? Thx

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Do they still give you the attention that they give each other? I heard that if you have 2 birds it is better to train them separately? Thx
Hi, @Tom S. It is a rational concern. I was told the same thing by the rescue owner when I got my first parrot, Grady the Timneh. I told the rescue owner before I even took Grady home that I was already seeking a same-species, opposite-sex companion for him. She said, "Oh, no, you don't wan that; you'll be a fifth wheel." I replied, "I am fully willing to take that chance in an effort to give Grady a richer life."

I have paired, thinkin... and counting... six, probably seven pairs of parrots now. Senegals, Conures, more Senegals, more Conures, and Cockateils. None have turned off from human contact. The two Conures I have now, they race, by flight, to land on me before the other most every time I enter their aviary room. They've been together for over two years. My first pair of Senegals have had each very nearly three years. They both try to be Velcro birds with me. It makes me sad, actually.

A few things:
  1. They were all only parrots before I got them; so, from filial imprinting through years of life, they believed humans are their flock. It actually makes it surprisingly challenging to get them to enjoy other parrots, or even tolerate them in some cases. The vast majority of parrots barely got to experience closeness with another parrot. That is bad for a flock animal. Just one other parrot, close to them, is abnormal to them. The human is normal to them.
  2. I continue to interact with each of them many, many times throughout the day, all day, every day, which continually reinforces the relationship with me. I do this to take good care of them. I wish they preferred other parrots over me.
  3. It probably depends on the two particular parrots. If you happen to get two that develop a genuine pair bond with one another, which may not even be possible, due number one above, they may have less interest in human contact. However, I have a close friend who has had such truly pair-bonded Conures, and they still loved the human about as much as the "mates".

Most Reactions

Latest posts