Axel's diet going well

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
I know I said diet but it's more like just eating healthy.
When I first weighed Axel he was 419g. I had personal issues and was not around that much. Other people helped me take care of him. Now that the issues are handled, I started looking at him and got back on track taking care of him. And rebuilding my bond with him.
So I started by checking his weight (419g)
Then I redid what he was getting fed. More chop, just a very little fruit. And I took a look at the pellets I was feeding him. I decided to go with a different pellet. I went with birdtricks pellets. Yes I know they are just tops but I want to help small businesses out. Whats a couple of bucks. Besides I like birdtricks. Back to Axel. It's been two weeks and I have been measuring his pellets out he gets some in the morning and some late afternoon.
He gets veggies in the morning as well. Also every 3 days he gets fresh sprouts that I grow.
I put him on the scale today and he is 405g.
So I feel he is coming along well.
Just thought I would throw that out there.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It they are repackaging the pellets, assure that you freeze it for a couple of weeks prior to use to kill-off any bugs that found access to the packaging. We make it a habit to keep all dry foods in the freezer until ready to use. To assure freshness, we repackage, date and number, the one week usage bags.

Assure that you are weight checking about the same time each day. We target first thing each morning, after the morning movement and prior to providing water and food. Also recommend keeping a journal.

Remember that one needs to physically check whether fat has developed on the breast bone. Plus a good flier will automatically be heavier because muscle is heavier than fat.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sounds great. I like Bird tricks and tops.
I had read that Gahlas are really prone to getting fat. I wish I would have saved the article for you. Tho some of us can use sunflower seeds for treats, for them it said never.

OP
T

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
Thanks you two.
I freeze the pellets, I check weight every other day.
I'm having him fly back and forth from me and a perch at the other end of my apartment.
Galahs are prone to fatty liver disease. I use almonds as training treats. I put pellets as foraging treats. Like I said I only give him just a little bite of fruit once every 3 days. I have a log to keep track and a calendar to keep track also.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Everything sounds great. High fiber foods like pumpkin and sweet potatoes might be good, beans sbd lentils. Im feeding lentils tomorrow
I only feed fruit once to twice a month.
Edit: found this ( glad it backs up my earlier advice! Might want to cut back more on the fruit)
" 3)Avoid feeding fruits, whose sugar content encourages the storage of body fat; instead feed vegetables, especially those rich in beta-carotene. These vegetables (carrot, pumpkin and sweet potatoes) are offered steamed, which breaks the fibers to give access to the important nutrients. We also use peas, broccoli, green leafy vegetables, cooked beets, hot peppers, fresh corn (horse corn, which is less sweet that the sugar packet sweet corn widely sold in many countries) and any other vegetable available at the grocer. The fruits we feed are heirloom varieties, which are low in sugar. We avoid feeding oranges, grapes and bananas, but do feed berries (especially those that are not very ripe, when the sugar content peaks), heirloom apples and an array of tropical fruit that we grow, which we feed long before they reach their peak in ripeness."
http://www.parrotsdailynews.com/q-a-how-to-prevent-obesity-in-amazon-parrots/

Last edited:
OP
T

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
Update on Axel he's down to 397 grams. The last time I weight him it was later in the day. I will be starting to weight before breakfast. Just by changing his diet going with a healthier pellet. And making sure he gets plenty of veggies. And having him fly back and forth across my apartment from me to his perch is getting him to burn up some calories.
Here he is on his scale.

Attachments

• 20210301_103438.jpg
    20210301_103438.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
OP
T

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
I am not forcing him to lose the weight I am just feeding him healthier, and getting him more active. I am not cutting back on his food just taking away the real fatty seeds. No more millet for training.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts