Babe, our new Blue & Gold Macaw's Story

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
So, I'm sure there are alot of you that are wondering, how it came to be that we are now the guardians of a beautiful, sweet Blue and Gold Macaw, named Babe. Well, here's his story....

As I was browsing about the forum, I saw a post from a person who was looking for a new home for her Blue and Gold Macaw. I also realized that the person was from Florida, as am I. I replied to her post, telling her that I would love to adopt him if she couldn't find a good home in her own city. I also told her that there were several members of the forum that would make for fabulous guardians themselves. After giving her some background about me, my family and my current bird/Mom's birds, we began to write back and forth via our personal emails. She called me on my cell phone one night and we just hit it off beautifully. Her name is Judy and she is a lovely lady who is crazy about Babe. It has taken her a good long time to finally come to the decision that re homing Babe is in her best interest as well as Babes best interest.

Babe used to belong to Judy's sister, Ellie. Ellie adopted Babe when he was just 1 yr old.:) Babe was the LOVE of Ellie's life, Ellie had Babe for a total of 11 yrs. Sadly, Ellie became very ill with cancer, while talking with her sister, Judy one day, she asked her if once she passed on if she would PLEASE take care of Babe for her. That was 6 yrs ago and although Judy NEVER thought she would EVER become the guardian of such a big boy, she agreed to take Babe and care for him because that is what her sister wanted. Judy and her then boyfriend took Babe when Ellie passed away :(, Babe was heartbroken without Ellie, but slowly learned to love Judy just as much as he did Ellie. Judy says that Babe started to come around after about 3 months and by the end of the 1st year with them, Babe had become HER baby and she had Babe's full trust and love. Judy and her boyfriend worked with Babe every day, showing him love and attention, all the while falling crazy in love with Babe themselves. Babe was very used to people, as Judy had a son at home as well as her boyfriend, they both had company over constantly, which Babe really thrived on. He truly enjoyed to entertain their company. 3 yrs into having Babe, Judy and her boyfriend broke it off, leaving the responsibility of Babe entirely up to Judy. She said it wasn't as difficult as she thought it would be because she had her son at home who was also somewhat bonded to Babe, so he was also able to provide love and attention to him, which was nice for Judy if she wanted to go some place. 2 Years ago, Judy lost her only son :(, this has been hugely difficult on her and she has recently joined support groups in her area to help her deal with the loss. Judy works a FT job for the government, so she's gone a good 8-9 hours per day. When she gets home, she gets Babe out of his cage and allows him to run and play in the house. Since Judy's son has passed, Babe has become insanely protective over Judy, bonded to the extreme. This is especially difficult for Judy because every time she shows any attention to any of her other animals (she has a dog and a cat) Babe gets down off his perch and CHASES them away. The same is true for visitors, now, Babe isn't mean to people, but he WILL chase anyone that is showing attention to Judy, to include a friendly "hello" or "goodbye" hug from a friend. Babe is extremely needy of Judy right now, which would be o.k., except, Judy doesn't have the time that Babe is needing right now and it's breaking Judy's heart, for Babe's sake. Judy is trying very hard to cope with the death of her son and to carry on with her life, therefore, is not home as much as she feels she should be for Babes sake. So, you see, this is a VERY, VERY hard thing for Judy to do. Babe is like a child to her coupled with the fact that her sister wanted her to keep Babe, it's been a pain staking decision for her.
Judy wanted Babe to go to a family type setting, she wanted Babe to have someone around for a good part of the days, every day. She wants Babe to have everything he wants and needs from his humans. I, just so happen, am able to provide these things for Babe. Besides myself, I have, my husband, my 3 daughters ages 21, 18 & 16, my Mom and my Dad that will all be a back up support system for providing Babe with the ultimate love, care and companionship he needs.
After talking to me on the phone, she told me that she shed a few tears (of joy) when she hung up, because she truly believed that her son and sister in heaven sent her to me to become Babe's new family. She is the sweetest kindest heart I've ever met and I can't wait to meet her in person as well as meeting Babe. I promise to be all that I can be for Babe, for her sake as well as Babe's sake. I've told her that she may visit with us anytime she'd like and that I'd be more than happy to send her photo's/videos/emails or what have you. I've also told her, that when the time gets closer and she should get cold feet, that I would TOTALLY understand if she changes her mind and wants to keep Babe.

This is how we became Babes new family.:) We are very excited and we can't wait to meet him AND Judy.

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
that is such a sad story, judy sounds like a lovely lady, it must be heartbreaking for her. i think it is fate that you both met, babe will be surrounded with love x

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Thanks so much for sharing Lis! What a sad story :(. It's must be so difficult to make such a decision. My heart goes out to Judy and all she's been through.

You are certainly the best person for the job when it comes to making this not so lil guy happy! He has been through just as much as Judy so I can only imagine how bereft the pair of them will feel. I'm so so glad he will go to such a busy, loving household like yours!

You know we'll all be hopping with excitement along with you until January! :D xxxx

SharonC

May 26, 2010
That is so very sad...
I'm glad that Judy has found you...she must feel relieved.

OP
lisamarie973

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
Hi guys,

Yes, it is so sad to me too. I try not to feel hurt for her, but, I can't help it. However, she is very happy to have met me and my family and she says that she believes that her sister and her son have led her to us. I know it sounds strange, but, I don't even know her, but I feel like I can feel her anguish with this decision. So, I guess you could say, it's bittersweet for Judy AND Babe. She and her Mom is going to come over to my place within the next week or two to meet us personally and to see where Babe will be living. :) I can't wait to meet her!! She really, really is a lovely, wonderful person!
I know she will miss Babe, and I know Babe will miss her, but in time they will both start to feel better about their new lives and be happy.

I know that I love him AND Judy already!! I hope that I have not only gained another FID, but another FRIEND in Judy too.

Here is a photo Judy sent me last night of Babe enjoying some grapes before bed. :D

Attachments

• Babe eating a grape.jpg
    Babe eating a grape.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,237
Last edited:

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
Thank You for sharing your macaw's story. Macaws have a long life and ours frequently has life altering changes. Divorce, babies, job changes, moving and deaths all contribute to macaws having to find new homes. I likewise have acquired two of my three macaws for similar reasons. I feel honored to be caretaker for these magnificent creatures for as long as God lets me live as I'm sure you will be too. Congratulations. Enjoy.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
My heart goes out to Judy, so many sad happening in her life
Thank you for taking the bird in you care Lisa, Babe is so lucky to have you as a guardian.
May you bring each other so much happiness

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Thanks for sharing Lisa, I am sure Babe will just love you and his forever new home.

It is going to be very tough on Babe to loose his mate for the second time and I think it will take some time to settle in again.

I wish both of you all the best.;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts