Baby CAG - Need Help

GrinchiexShadow

Oct 24, 2023
Parrots
YNA (Grinchie) & CAG (Shadow)
Hi guys! I have a young CAG named Shadow. He came from a great breeder out of Michigan. She obviously did a lot of work with him getting him to eat. He loves veggies! I am a Former Avian & Exotic Vet Tech. I have worked with many parrots, but never raised babies, so I have some questions. Shadow hatched July 27th, so he's right around 11/12 weeks old or so? He came home Saturday evening.

1. He keeps doing a scratching behavior in the corner of his cage, I've heard this is normal for Greys. Is that accurate?

2. I do not plan on clipping wings. He flew out of his cage briefly and immediately was super clumsy and seemed like he was going to fly into windows/doors/etc. I don't want him to get hurt. Those who intend to leave birds flighted, where and how did you first work with them on flying to prevent injury?

3. His cage is 35" x 23" x 37". I do not normally ever cage except at night (but he is still working on flying so he is caged right now). I have a couple perches up high and some lower. He seems really clumsy and keeps falling on occasion or if startled. Occasionally, his cheeks will get red looking. Should I line the floor with towels or something?

4. What is the proper way to correct a parrot who is biting? He doesn't bite hard (usually) but sometimes he will. If he bites too hard, how do you recommend correcting that or reinforcing that his bite is too hard?

Thank you everyone!

Most Reactions

Latest posts