Baby Conure not able to perch at 3.5 months

Jc-place

Oct 9, 2021
Parrots
Cinnamon green cheek conure
I purchased a baby Conure that is estimated to be 3.5 months old. It is not able to open its feet to perch. Is this normal?? Will this issue go away in a few weeks?

It climbs all over cage with beak and feet. Usually it hangs on cage wall or floor.

Attachments

• IMG_20211009_160205.jpg
    IMG_20211009_160205.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 74

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
NO! It's not normal! He/she should have been perching long ago! You should take him to a Certified Avian Vet,not just a regular or exotic's vet they know very little to nothing about birds. Make an appointment asap!

Jim

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the Forums, Jc-place and your new baby!

I am in agreement with Jim above, your conure certainly should be able to perch normally, so a trip to a certified avian vet is in order. Understanding that there may be limitations on availability and that I am not exactly sure where you are located, the following link may help you to find one if you are not already familiar with one...

Wishing you and your young'un all the very best!

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I purchased a baby Conure that is estimated to be 3.5 months old. It is not able to open its feet to perch. Is this normal?? Will this issue go away in a few weeks?

It climbs all over cage with beak and feet. Usually it hangs on cage wall or floor.
I hope the 3.5 months estimate is wrong, as I look in this growth guide....

NO, this condition won't go away by itself.
Infact, I fear that this might be more difficult to treat over time. However, younger birds respond best to treatment since they are still growing. So the sooner we know what is the cause, the better.

Found some informative reads, which may help you prepare questions for the avian vet.

Best of luck

OP
J

Jc-place

Oct 9, 2021
Parrots
Cinnamon green cheek conure
I know this sounds terrible, but I ended up returning the bird to the store and breeder for refund since I paid full retail and I purchased this bird to be a companion to another conure in a large cage. I have had conures 25yrs ago and never seen this before. I am upset with petland as they knew the bird had the issue when selling it but did not disclose the issue. I will stick with Petsmart going forward as their bird have vet visit and are certifed. The cinnamon green cheek is the new one and is great companion.
20211012_170242.jpg

Attachments

• 20211012_170242.jpg
    20211012_170242.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 49

Sera

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Nanday conure
Sun conure
Kakariki
Quaker
NO! It's not normal! He/she should have been perching long ago! You should take him to a Certified Avian Vet,not just a regular or exotic's vet they know very little to nothing about birds. Make an appointment asap!

Jim
Do you know around when they should start perching, I have a baby sun who’s around 6 weeks. She’s now practicing standing on a perch, still prefers being at the bottom of her box but she can perch now. But I’m not sure if I should now put her in a small cage with a branch for the night or if it’s too early.

Most Reactions

Latest posts