Baby Double Yellow head 7 weeks is Sick help!!!

Oscar0723

Apr 27, 2021
Hi,
We recently purchased a baby double yellow head on Sunday he is 7 weeks . The next day on Monday we noticed that he started sneezing and clear fluid coming out from the right side of his nose . He is eating fine but when he eats he starts to sneeze a lot none stop for about 15-30 seconds. We do keep him under a lamp and we maintain him about 80-85 degrees. I'm afraid that my parrot might die what should I do!!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I agree with Laurasea - if you are not experienced with hand raising and feeding a baby bird it is best to seek professional avian medical advice and support. I'm really not sure why there is still a trade in unweaned baby birds because it is not the straightforward process that many sellers and breeders would have buyers believe. The following link may help you to find an avian vet if you are not already acquainted with one......

https://www.aav.org/

I wish you and your baby all the very best!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am sorry you are going through this and you are very right to be concerned, as this is very serious.
The first thing you need to do is either take your bird back to the breeder or find a genuine, avian certified vet (exotics vets and general vets are not the same, and have nowhere near the knowledge needed to care for parrots--some exotics vets acquire knowledge from experience, but with a baby in this state, it should be a CAV if at all possible).

Never buy an unweaned baby (there is no reason to-- your bond will not be stronger in the long run-- it is just encouraged by some breeders because it SEEMS like the bond is better short-term and saves them a ton of work). They all are sweet and squishy as babies, but at puberty, they often push away from the very person who weaned them anyway (breeders often do not mention that part).

Are you using PTFE/PFOA/PFCs/Teflon/non-stick (unverified source) in your home? these can be in drip trays, pans, blow dryers, air fryers, straighteners, space heaters, electric skillets, irons, ironing board covers, HEAT LAMPS (depending on the type) etc etc etc. These silently off-gassing chemicals impact birds far more than almost anything else in a home and they can kill them in as little as 5 min, but can also lead to serious respiratory distress and damage long-term when the bird survives (which, from experience, can be minutes, to years--- it's all very dangerous and has a long-term impact). They frequently kill on separate floors, with fans and windows open and through closed doors. People think they can still use them if they air the place out but that is very incorrect. We had a budgie when I was a kid and did terribly unsafe things without knowing what we were doing. Birds hide illness, so obviously, by the time they show signs, it is nearly always serious.

Products deadly to parrots are EXTREMELY common-- you are not to blame if you didn't know-- SO MUCH of what most people use in their homes (cleaners, candles, fresheners, teflon, burned food, smoke etc= very very damaging to birds).

Then there are chemicals like air fresheners, scented products, glade plug-ins, vaping, smoking, overheated oils, incense etc that are horribly bad and can permanently damage the air sacks (irreversibly).

Yeast, parasites, bacterial infections etc can all also prove extremely dangerous for babies or adult birds (hand feeding requires sterile conditions, a very strong knowledge of where to put the syringe, EXACT temperatures etc-- this is way more work than it seems). Humans should also never let a parrot lick, kiss, or contact saliva or lips in general (you should not eat or drink out of something and then allow the bird a bite). Humans and most mammals (including dogs and cats) carry gram-negative bacteria and the introduction of such bacteria (via touch, ingestion or cut can prove very dangerous). This is why hands must be so clean etc. Esp with babies.

They hide illness until things get dangerous and a bird should not be sneezing with discharge without a very immediate vet visit---especially so young.

Please, If at all possible, please just get this baby to an avian vet asap.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Get him to a certified avian get NOW!!!. No dog and cat vet, a real avaiN doc.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Amazon's are dear to me. But regardless of species all babies deserve the right to be fully weaned and on solid full for at least two weeks. With Amazon's that tend to be 12 plus weeks of age minimum.

I hope that you have gotten your Amazon to an Avian Medical Professional!

In North America that Amazon should have come with a Hatch Certificate.

OP
O

Oscar0723

Apr 27, 2021
Thank you very much for your help and information. I will be taking him to the vet today.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm very glad you are getting to the avian veterinarian. Hsbd raised parrots can easily hsve crop infections, or other infections. Their immune system isn't fully developed so tgey are extra vulnerable. And hsbd raised aren't getting immune component from parents feeding them as well as standard flora.

I dont agree with all the info in following link, but it covers issues. And is no way a substitute for veterinarian care.
https://www.ask-noodles.com/uncommon-problems-with-hand-feeding.html

Most Reactions