Baby sunconure help!!

KarenLopez1521

Feb 1, 2013
Spartanburg, SC
Parrots
I currently have 8 Sun Conures, yeah I know it's insane!
Well some of you might know my story about my sunconures, I currently have 8, 3 newborns. The oldest is now almost a month, the 2nd one is 3 weeks and the baby is 2 weeks. Unfortunately an accident occured where his foot got caught on a thread on a blanket where they were laying on and his foot was tangled up in it and late at night we realized it and try to get it out as quickly and safely as possible. Turns out it was caught on it for awhile and it cut off his circulation and it was really red and so we didn't know what to do but just wait. after awhile his color came back but again unfortunately, his toes/toe nails have not grown at all:( We all feel terrible because this has happened and we're planning on going to the vet soon once he's a month. I just want to know what they might do or if his foot will ever be normal again:/ Thanks. God bless.

-Karen :orange:

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Hope he gets okay, but I think the vet is able to treat newborn birds . Maybe you can schedule an appointment right now ? Hope he gets okay, blankets can be really dangerous with those loose threads. Makes me nervous about happy huts

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Since your chicks are still in the development stage, you may end up very lucky and it will come through this with tittle or no ill effects. Several years ago I had a GCC get a fine thread wrapped around a toe, but he had severed the thread, without removing it...the toe didn't swell, but it never recovered & my vet had to amputate the toe.

Because of the possibility of infection, you should at least talk to the vet & see what they have to say.....

Good luck

OP
K

KarenLopez1521

Feb 1, 2013
Spartanburg, SC
Parrots
I currently have 8 Sun Conures, yeah I know it's insane!
Yeah we thought it got infected at one point but its judt deformed now, I'll try to post a picture soon but my youngest from the first batch from last year had to get his toe amputated for the same reason, he's perfectly healthy now. But this new baby's right foot look a lot different from the left. As if the left one is devolping more than the right. Any suggestions of some sort of safe blanket or towel that doesn't have threads?

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
something similar happened to my baby alex oxy (now 7months) whilst still with breeder, he now has no nail on his back right toe. this hasnt hindered oxy in any way. good luck with your babies, i hope all goes well

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I had the same thing happen years ago, but it was with a rat pup. I stopped using cloth after that. I use fleece for my guinea pigs and it doesn't have loose threads that can get tangled. It also wicks moisture away and is soft, I reccommend using that. I can normally get it for as cheap as $1-2 per yard, even cheaper if you can find some in the scrap bin. Wal-mart and Joann fabrics both carry it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts