Baby updates, new cage, and more!

beetory

Aug 21, 2018
TX
Parrots
Two conures, a pinapple (Booger) and a yellow sided (Darling).
Hi Everyone!

Long time no see again, been busy with the babies. So about a week ago my parents came home with this giant cage saying I owed them a certain amount of money for it. It came in boxes but they showed me a picture of it and it looked pretty big. It kind of didn't sink in how big it was until my dad was putting it together and it just kept getting taller, and wider, and oh boy.

That day I had just bought some more perches and toys for the baby but quickly realized they weren't gonna cut it inside the new cage, they were kind of too small suddenly. The perches definitely wouldn't reach from one end of the cage to the other (at least the ones that are meant to do that). And I kind of stressed a bit about how to make it work because that's usually my default reaction. I moved everything into the new cage, set up more food bowls since it is a family of five now and once I was finished we put Booger and Darling inside first so they could explore. The babies eventually jumped in too when they wanted to get close to their parents and it got crazy.

But, I really like it because they have SO MUCH space. Like... so much. So much... again that in fact they have enough space to fly from one end of the cage to the other. Actually fly!!!

So at first I was really sad about losing some money when the babies obviously aren't ready yet to move out of their parents cage but now I'm glad they have more room to flap their wings and play fight and hang upside down or whatever. They don't have to fight over food dishes anymore and take baths that leave them totally soaked lol.

More updates about them...
  • they're finally clearing out a lot of the veggies and fruits from their bowls
  • the youngest one hates sharing his food time with anyone he will literally shriek at whoever is next to him
  • the youngest one also loves giving kisses and nibbling ears
  • the eldest is a pro at flying already but still gets too excited sometimes and gets spooked
  • the middle baby is a nightmare they have a bit of an attitude and bite a lot and really hard now. i'm trying to find ways to discourage that but he's young so i'm giving it time
  • they all love playfighting each other but i've noticed sometimes they do go a bit too far if one of them is tired of the game and wants out
  • they still hate bedtime and shriek at me loudly for about ten minutes after i cover them before giving up
  • they love being held and hugged and kissed and then they're trying to fly away when they get tired of it
  • their dad hates it when they're all out in a room together and fly away from him. he screams until they all get back in his line of vision
  • the eldest baby has an attitude too and likes being more independent rather than hanging out with us when he's out
  • they all love laying on their backs right now and i really hope it stays that way because omg that's so cute

Some pictures!

Family picture:

Darling is the second from the left and Booger is the first on the right.
Eldest baby is the pineapple, youngest baby is first on the left, and the middle is on top of their old cage.

beetory-albums-baby-conures-picture20729-a.jpg

Cage: I'm still looking for more toys and better perches but they're happy with their set up right now :)

beetory-albums-baby-conures-picture20730-a.jpg

beetory-albums-baby-conures-picture20731-a.jpg

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
This is a wonderfull update.
I think your story will be voted as "surprise of the year" (if we have something like that on the forum).

Wow, your parents really did that for you and the birds?
That is marvelous :)

Did you give them legbands or anything like that- I can imagine if the youngsters get their adult plumage it will be really hard to tell them apart from the parents.
(LOL maybe not for you )

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wonderful new cage! Beautiful conures! Are you going to keep all the babies??? It's nice to hear good stuff!!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Wow, that’s a great cage and I’m sure that they love it!! Adorable flock :)

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Wow what a cage!! What an upgrade!! I'm sure they'll love it.

Just remember though.... it's all fun now but when babies mature they will pair up and mate with each other even if you don't want them to. Do you have a plan for this? That's my only real concern in your situation but otherwise this is awesome!

OP
beetory

beetory

Aug 21, 2018
TX
Parrots
Wow what a cage!! What an upgrade!! I'm sure they'll love it.

Just remember though.... it's all fun now but when babies mature they will pair up and mate with each other even if you don't want them to. Do you have a plan for this? That's my only real concern in your situation but otherwise this is awesome!

Yeah, I'm worried about that too. I guess I'll have to find another cage as great as this one to separate them when the time comes. They can still spend time together just not unsupervised I guess whenever that happens.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
or just leave them be and boil every single egg you find / swap it for fake ones ...

You have 5 lovely birds now, who are (so far) quite happy to be together in a nice large cage and a lot of playtime outside -> if it aint broken dont fix it...

If you wanted to breed of course you would have put bands on the babies to tell them apart and you probably would have sold some or would be in the proces of DNA-sexing them and looking for potential mates outside the house -> fresh blood, no inbreeding.

MikeD91

Oct 10, 2018
Media
Conneaut Lake, Pa
Parrots
Bill, Yellow Naped
Amazon.
Banker, Muloccan Cockattoo
That's a great big new home for your friends! So nice to hear of your family helping you out with your birds. I'm new to this bird stuff with only having my friend Bill with me for a month and a half. I think having a whole family of birds would be extra fun.

OP
beetory

beetory

Aug 21, 2018
TX
Parrots
or just leave them be and boil every single egg you find / swap it for fake ones ...

You have 5 lovely birds now, who are (so far) quite happy to be together in a nice large cage and a lot of playtime outside -> if it aint broken dont fix it...

If you wanted to breed of course you would have put bands on the babies to tell them apart and you probably would have sold some or would be in the proces of DNA-sexing them and looking for potential mates outside the house -> fresh blood, no inbreeding.

I have no interest in breeding but those are good options too. As long as there aren't any actual live babies from their mating it wouldn't be so bad to just let them be. I truly hope they can stay happy together and there's no fighting. Right now they only fight if someone nips a bit too hard during preening.

OP
beetory

beetory

Aug 21, 2018
TX
Parrots
That's a great big new home for your friends! So nice to hear of your family helping you out with your birds. I'm new to this bird stuff with only having my friend Bill with me for a month and a half. I think having a whole family of birds would be extra fun.

Oh my gosh, yeah I'm totally so lucky I have a large family as well. It makes me feel better because someone is always home interacting with them even when they're not outside of the cage.

Good luck with your bird!! If your flock grows one day I'll be so happy for you :)

OP
beetory

beetory

Aug 21, 2018
TX
Parrots
Wonderful new cage! Beautiful conures! Are you going to keep all the babies??? It's nice to hear good stuff!!

Yep! We're keeping all the babies. Some of our friends keep asking if we're selling but every time it comes up we can't even picture it. They're pretty much like our own children right now lol.

Most Reactions