Back from vet visit - need some help šŸšØ

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a 5-6 month old cockatiel named Kiko :) the following info is a bit long, sorry!

I took him to the vet today, because he needed to go for his first ever annual check up, and I was a bit concerned about some things. (I was also advised by someone on this forums to take him.)

So, the vet gave him a full physical examination and told us that heā€™s healthy. His bones, heart rate, overall appearance, poop, looked healthy to the vet.

Now, the thing that was concerning me about Kiko was that I saw a bit of redness on the skin around his eyes, (attached a pic below) one side had more redness than the other, and he said that itā€™s not anything serious šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø I wasnā€™t SUPER concerned about anything else, although I did mention it to him (like the line on his beak.) and he said that heā€™s just having some changes because of growth and it could also be because of his mutation. I also mentioned the wing thing that he does that I made my first forum about over here! He said that his wing looks completely fine, but that MAYBE there could be a natural defect in the wing, but Iā€™m not so sure because he hasnā€™t done the wing thing in a long time. He did tell me that his wings arenā€™t clipped correctly and clipped too much, though. (Iā€™m gonna let his feathers get long and not clip, he just came clipped :( )

I didnā€™t have any complains with the vet because he seemed really nice, and it seemed as if he knew what heā€™s doing. I also found out about that clinic from parrotsforum.

šŸšØ I NEED HELP šŸšØ He told me that Kiko hurt himself or got hurt where his vent is. Iā€™ve noticed that he was preening there a lot for the past week so it made sense and he showed me where he hurt himself. Thereā€™s still a little bit of bleeding :( He gave me some medicine that he told me to apply over there everyday and to prevent him from preening there too much. I think that if it doesnā€™t get better he can develop some sort of infection or something so Iā€™m definitely concerned about that now!

Can someone pls show me or link some videos on how to handle birds? We need to handle him with a towel to apply it and I can get my brother to help me but we have never really grabbed or handled birds before so we donā€™t know. We saw how the vet did it but it looked difficult šŸ˜„ also, Iā€™m scared we might grab him at the wrong places or press near his respiratory area too much which is dangerous. So, pls someone lmk on how to actually apply the medicine correctly!

Also, he did not have a good experience at the vet because heā€™s really really afraid of new people šŸ˜­ he was super stressed and afraid afterwards and breathing loudly with his mouth open, which he does when heā€™s scared. The vet actually came out the clinic as we were leaving to check up on him :). Heā€™s completely fine now but I was wondering on how to get him to be less afraid for next time and how to make him less scared of new faces.

TYSM to anyone who reads this long post and replies! ā¤ļø

Attachments

• BF7DF276-EB74-4051-A2DD-D0FEA8495F59.jpeg
    BF7DF276-EB74-4051-A2DD-D0FEA8495F59.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 79
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a 5-6 month old cockatiel named Kiko :) the following info is a bit long, sorry!

I took him to the vet today, because he needed to go for his first ever annual check up, and I was a bit concerned about some things. (I was also advised by someone on this forums to take him.)

So, the vet gave him a full physical examination and told us that heā€™s healthy. His bones, heart rate, overall appearance, poop, looked healthy to the vet.

Now, the thing that was concerning me about Kiko was that I saw a bit of redness on the skin around his eyes, (attached a pic below) one side had more redness than the other, and he said that itā€™s not anything serious šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø I wasnā€™t SUPER concerned about anything else, although I did mention it to him (like the line on his beak.) and he said that heā€™s just having some changes because of growth and it could also be because of his mutation. I also mentioned the wing thing that he does that I made my first forum about over here! He said that his wing looks completely fine, but that MAYBE there could be a natural defect in the wing, but Iā€™m not so sure because he hasnā€™t done the wing thing in a long time. He did tell me that his wings arenā€™t clipped correctly and clipped too much, though. (Iā€™m gonna let his feathers get long and not clip, he just came clipped :( )

I didnā€™t have any complains with the vet because he seemed really nice, and it seemed as if he knew what heā€™s doing. I also found out about that clinic from parrotsforum.

šŸšØ I NEED HELP šŸšØ He told me that Kiko hurt himself or got hurt where his vent is. Iā€™ve noticed that he was preening there a lot for the past week so it made sense and he showed me where he hurt himself. Thereā€™s still a little bit of bleeding :( He gave me some medicine that he told me to apply over there everyday and to prevent him from preening there too much. I think that if it doesnā€™t get better he can develop some sort of infection or something so Iā€™m definitely concerned about that now!

Can someone pls show me or link some videos on how to handle birds? We need to handle him with a towel to apply it and I can get my brother to help me but we have never really grabbed or handled birds before so we donā€™t know. We saw how the vet did it but it looked difficult šŸ˜„ also, Iā€™m scared we might grab him at the wrong places or press near his respiratory area too much which is dangerous. So, pls someone lmk on how to actually apply the medicine correctly!

Also, he did not have a good experience at the vet because heā€™s really really afraid of new people šŸ˜­ he was super stressed and afraid afterwards and breathing loudly with his mouth open, which he does when heā€™s scared. The vet actually came out the clinic as we were leaving to check up on him :). Heā€™s completely fine now but I was wondering on how to get him to be less afraid for next time and how to make him less scared of new faces.

TYSM to anyone who reads this long post and replies! ā¤ļø
He also told me that his nails look a bit long but he needs them to grip onto things and if we clip them he might lose that strong grip. Should I let them be and clip them when they get too long, or should I keep them as short as possible? Like is it possible they might get stuck into something??

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel

TYSM to anyone who reads this long post and replies!
ALSO ONE MORE THING ABOUT THE PIC: I used a torch myself and he checked it too, thereā€™s no redness in the actual eye or waterline, and thereā€™s no crusty Eyes or discharge coming out of them!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would try to gently wrap him in a hand towel or washcloth and just uncover his vent area when you apply the medication.

I am not sure what to say because I donā€™t know if kiko steps up or if you can handle him at all. I would step him up from his cage and gently capture him with the towel. Maybe if youā€™re sitting down with him you can hold him on your lap while you do this.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
He also told me that his nails look a bit long but he needs them to grip onto things and if we clip them he might lose that strong grip. Should I let them be and clip them when they get too long, or should I keep them as short as possible? Like is it possible they might get stuck into something??
Try filing them down a bit with a nail filer?
Also yes they can get stuck in fabric, cloth etc if they were too sharp

I used the first way to give Tiki her eye drops
I would recommend using a towel to not lose trust

Sorry I cant help with the other problems :(

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I would try to gently wrap him in a hand towel or washcloth and just uncover his vent area when you apply the medication.

I am not sure what to say because I donā€™t know if kiko steps up or if you can handle him at all. I would step him up from his cage and gently capture him with the towel. Maybe if youā€™re sitting down with him you can hold him on your lap while you do this.
He steps up, letā€™s us touch him but hates the grabbing or being handled

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Most parrots do not like being held for trimming, meds, etc. I trained Salty to lie on his back, in my hand, and I give him 2 light squeezes to let him know that its not going to be a hold and treatment type holding. If I need to hold him for those, I drape a small towel over my hand and then flip him over.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Most parrots do not like being held for trimming, meds, etc. I trained Salty to lie on his back, in my hand, and I give him 2 light squeezes to let him know that its not going to be a hold and treatment type holding. If I need to hold him for those, I drape a small towel over my hand and then flip him over.
Thatā€™s true. Even my bird who loved to be held in hand, lay on her back, etc. knew when I was ā€œup to something ā€œ. I use the hand towel or washcloth to sneakily but gently restrain them and then apologize.

Actually, Lucy had no problem with me clipping her wings. She would stand, Iā€™d spread one wing, then clip with the other hand. No problem. But toenails and medicating her eye were a problem. I would mix her drop of medication with a drop of fruit smoothie (dr suggested pina colada drink mix) and she would take that fine, or without much resistance.

Just try to have minimal chasing and fuss, do the job quickly and gently, and let the bird go with minimal excitement. (And maybe tell them youā€™re sorry you upset them.). Tell the bird calmly what you are doing when you do it. Etc.

I hope it goes ok.

Last edited:
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Thatā€™s true. Even my bird who loved to be held in hand, lay on her back, etc. knew when I was ā€œup to something ā€œ. I use the hand towel or washcloth to sneakily but gently restrain them and then apologize.

Actually, Lucy had no problem with me clipping her wings. She would stand, Iā€™d spread one wing, then clip with the other hand. No problem. But toenails and medicating her eye were a problem. I would mix her drop of medication with a drop of fruit smoothie (dr suggested ins colada drink mix) and she would take that fine, or without much resistance.

Just try to have minimal chasing and fuss, do the job quickly and gently, and let the bird go with minimal excitement. (And maybe tell them youā€™re sorry you upset them.). Tell the bird calmly what you are doing when you do it. Etc.

I hope it goes ok.
I need to apply the medicine on the vent, so do I need to like put him on his back and the vent will be visible or do I need to use my hands to open up and find it?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Here you go; I hope this helps out.

I see you wrote that your bird steps up but doesnā€™t like to be handled. So first I would squeeze out some of the ointment onto a cotton swab or q-tip. Put the swab down on a clean surface or have your brother hold the swab by the clean end. Then, step your bird up from his cage and gently catch and wrap the towel or washcloth around him. Then you need to tip your bird so his belly is up and you can see his rear end and vent opening.

Take the swab and press the medicated end to your birdā€™s vent. Wipe off the ointment onto the outside of his vent opening. Try and get some ointment in the vent but donā€™t force it or push the Q-tip, just put it on the outside. You donā€™t want to hurt your bird but you have to get the medication on and let it kind of work itā€™s way in.

(Like if you had a hole or cut in the skin of your arm, you would wipe the ointment on the outside of the hole or cut, and some will go inside. Youā€™re putting the ointment on the outside of his vent and some will go in.)

Please let me or somebody know if you or your birdie have more trouble and we will advise you as best we can. Or even better, call the veterinarian or have your mom or dad call if youā€™re not allowed.

I hope your bird feels better soon and you manage this ok. Could mom or dad help if you have trouble? Itā€™s good to have bigger hands when you are holding onto a cockatiel.

Last edited:
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Here you go; I hope this helps out.

I see you wrote that your bird steps up but doesnā€™t like to be handled. So first I would squeeze out some of the ointment onto a cotton swab or q-tip. Put the swab down on a clean surface or have your brother hold the swab by the clean end. Then, step your bird up from his cage and gently catch and wrap the towel or washcloth around him. Then you need to tip your bird so his belly is up and you can see his rear end and vent opening.

Take the swab and press the medicated end to your birdā€™s vent. Wipe off the ointment onto the outside of his vent opening. Try and get some ointment in the vent but donā€™t force it or push the Q-tip, just put it on the outside. You donā€™t want to hurt your bird but you have to get the medication on and let it kind of work itā€™s way in.

(Like if you had a hole or cut in the skin of your arm, you would wipe the ointment on the outside of the hole or cut, and some will go inside. Youā€™re putting the ointment on the outside of his vent and some will go in.)

Please let me or somebody know if you or your birdie have more trouble and we will advise you as best we can. Or even better, call the veterinarian or have your mom or dad call if youā€™re not allowed.

I hope your bird feels better soon and you manage this ok. Could mom or dad help if you have trouble? Itā€™s good to have bigger hands when you are holding onto a cockatiel.
My dad is the one who was helping us apply the ointment :)) thank you so much for your help! Iā€™ll try it out today. But one thing Iā€™m confused about is when you grab the bird where do you apply the pressure? Like do you wrap your hands around and flip him from his body? Or do u grab by the neck? And if u grab by the neck do u like put ur fingers behind his neck and then grab?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If I restrain a bird the size of a cockatiel, I put my hand around his back. So Iā€™m holding across his back or shoulders.

If I was going to ā€˜grabā€™ a bird, Iā€™d scoop or enfold him in a small towel or washcloth.

Maybe step him up from his cage and then wrap the towel around him from behind?

Did you watch that video? I have not yet,

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi, how is your bird doing? Are you able to apply the medication? Does he look any better?
Yes we have been trying to gently apply the medication. I cant see his vent area EXACTLY, but I donā€™t see a lot of redness, so I hope that itā€™s working. But, thereā€™s some fluff on his butt that he pulled so the area looks messy and sometimes when he poops the poop doesnā€™t drop and stays there in the fluff, so we try our best to wipe it or take it off from his butt bc weā€™re scared he might get an infection from the germs on his vent. The vet pulled out a chunk or dried poop and fluff last time we went :( hopefully his vent area heals completely soon though, the only thing that is annoying atm is that he wonā€™t stop preening there so Iā€™m scared heā€™s not allowing it to heal. Other than that heā€™s healthy, eating, drinking, and behaving normally.

Tysm for checking up on him and I rlly appreciated your help ā¤ļø

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yes we have been trying to gently apply the medication. I cant see his vent area EXACTLY, but I donā€™t see a lot of redness, so I hope that itā€™s working. But, thereā€™s some fluff on his butt that he pulled so the area looks messy and sometimes when he poops the poop doesnā€™t drop and stays there in the fluff, so we try our best to wipe it or take it off from his butt bc weā€™re scared he might get an infection from the germs on his vent. The vet pulled out a chunk or dried poop and fluff last time we went :( hopefully his vent area heals completely soon though, the only thing that is annoying atm is that he wonā€™t stop preening there so Iā€™m scared heā€™s not allowing it to heal. Other than that heā€™s healthy, eating, drinking, and behaving normally.

Tysm for checking up on him and I rlly appreciated your help ā¤ļø
You should be able to see his vent by brushing aside the little feathers on his bottom, near the base of his tail. Basically, where the poops are getting stuck. Can you ask the vet to show you how to put the medication on? I canā€™t believe he didnā€™t show you how.

Keeping his behind clean will really help it to heal. I had a very very old Quaker parakeet who couldnā€™t reach her vent area to groom herself and couldnā€™t walk around very well at 24 yrs old. When she got dirty I would hold her bottom under warm water in the bathroom sink and get the old poops off. But she was the bird equivalent of 100 yrs old so that was an unusual situation. (She has been gone for two years now.)

I wish I could help you more, or show you what to do. But at any rate, just keeping him clean like the vet did or washing his bottom in the bathroom sink would help. It would be best if you could get the medication on his body, not his feathers.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
You should be able to see his vent by brushing aside the little feathers on his bottom, near the base of his tail. Basically, where the poops are getting stuck. Can you ask the vet to show you how to put the medication on? I canā€™t believe he didnā€™t show you how.

Keeping his behind clean will really help it to heal. I had a very very old Quaker parakeet who couldnā€™t reach her vent area to groom herself and couldnā€™t walk around very well at 24 yrs old. When she got dirty I would hold her bottom under warm water in the bathroom sink and get the old poops off. But she was the bird equivalent of 100 yrs old so that was an unusual situation. (She has been gone for two years now.)

I wish I could help you more, or show you what to do. But at any rate, just keeping him clean like the vet did or washing his bottom in the bathroom sink would help. It would be best if you could get the medication on his body, not his feathers.
When we hold him on his back, we just use the syringe to put the medicine inside the fluff and hope it gets to The skin and vent area bc we canā€™t exactly open up the fluff and see for ourself because he wonā€™t let us. My brother holds his body and head securely and he canā€™t see whatā€™s happening down there but when we touch his vent or feathers he freaks out and starts moving his feet really hard. I donā€™t think I can hold down or hold his feet, can I? I mean, they must be fragile šŸ˜­

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
When we hold him on his back, we just use the syringe to put the medicine inside the fluff and hope it gets to The skin and vent area bc we canā€™t exactly open up the fluff and see for ourself because he wonā€™t let us. My brother holds his body and head securely and he canā€™t see whatā€™s happening down there but when we touch his vent or feathers he freaks out and starts moving his feet really hard. I donā€™t think I can hold down or hold his feet, can I? I mean, they must be fragile šŸ˜­
If I can hold him down and fully expose the vent when heā€™s on his back then I can easily use a q-tip to apply the medicine exactly where heā€™s hurt.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I wish I could help you. I hope he does better. Honestly if his vent was irritated šŸ˜  from the poops being stuck, just keeping him clean will help him get better.

Good luckšŸ„ø

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

I would hold his feet still while I put the medication on, probably between two fingers. I usually grab their little ankles between my fingers and that makes the whole back end of the bird steady. Of course you donā€™t want to jerk the legs backwards or something but you love your bird and you can tell how his legs are supposed to bend.

In some ways, birds are quite fragile. In other ways, theyā€™re not. Imagine if you could fly really fast and then land on your feet and not get hurt. Your cockatiel can do that. He could hang from the cage top by one leg. So his feet and ankles are pretty strong, and imagine how strong his wings and flying muscles are.

The one thing you need to be careful of is not to squeeze around a birds chest. It would be hard to squeeze a persons chest so hard that a person couldnā€™t breathe. But if you hold a bird too tight around his chest he canā€™t breathe.

Most Reactions