Back Into Amazons and New to Forums!!

Dark_Memory

Jul 24, 2011
Media
Michigan
Parrots
"Akira" - orange winged Amazon
Hello everyone!

My name is Megan and I am a 21 yr old college student. I am majoring in education and for the studies of Spanish, English, and my specialty, Arts. I have an online art gallery at.......... . I also have another art gallery that is a little less active and not horse oriented at........... Some of you may also know me from the Horse Grooming Supplies forum as Dark-Memory.

Now to introduce you to my zoo! :) I have 2 albino oscar fish named Mizuki and Mika, a huge South American cichlid tank. I have one leapord gecko named Baxteretta. I also am the proud mom of four dogs, Jasmine (5 yr old lab mix) Kodah (1.5 yr old husky mix), Ashery (1.5 year old Papillon), and Pippin (5 yr old toy long haired Chihuahua).

I also have three gorgeous horses that are trained in all-around as in we can do just about anything but our specialty is jumping and trail riding. One snotty Haflinger by the name of Molly (9), one sweet in your pocket Haflinger by the name of Marley (7), and one beautiful but very very old Arabian named Mysty (28). Unfortunately come Wednesday, Mysty may not be with us anymore as we are facing the tough decision of possibly having to put her down, but thats another story for another forum.

I am excited to be joining you all today and hope to make many friends and share many experiences and learn lots of tricks in years to come of becoming a member here.

My new Amazon!

Today I made a 10 hr round trip from Benton Harbor, MI to Camden, OH to pick up my first Amazon in 6 years. Now there is a bit of a story to this so bear with me.

I've lost my first bird, a handsome yellow nape by the name of Gongo due to a deranged mother. I recieved Gongo when I was 5 and had him till I was 15. Sadly it was at the age where I was finally seperated from my mother and moved onto better things but Gongo sadly could not come with me. My grandmother is allergic. Gongo in my absence plucked himself nearly to death and my mother in a fit got rid of him. To this day I still don't know what happened of my beloved bird. We were very strongly bonded and it broke my heart into pieces and I grieved for a long time.

As I got eventually got over his loss, I decided I want to be in a position where I could once again have a best friend and this time, hellfire would not seperate us. So for three long years I searched the internet, the papers, and the locals for a Amazon fitting to me. I lost hope 1.5 yrs ago and tried out a snotty conure but it wasnt the same and tried as I might the bird downright detested me.

But finally about a week ago, I discovered on some forgotten pet classified site, an ad for a young female Amazon. I talked about it for days to my brother and it was all I could think about and two days ago, he and my fiance surprised me with agreeing to purchase the bird for me for a birthday/x-mas gift.

I emailed back and forth with the owner of the bird, asking her questions about the animal, the personality, favorites, etc.

Excitedly I made the trip down today to finally meet her and bring her home. Much to my surprise we came to a small town with a very small house overran by people and dogs.

I had learned via email that the bird was previously owned by the woman's aunt and was to be used for bible school. The aunt had only had her for two months and was intimidated by her (I don't see how as this bird is very sweet). Prior to that the bird had been owned by the breeder. This woman told me that the aunt gave the bird to them and they only had her for 2 weeks when they decided they had to get rid of her.

I came into the house to see this beautiful orange winged Amazon hiding in the corner of her cage looking nervously around her. She is obviously very younger, I think she may be even younger than 3 by her people experience. They had no litter in the bottom of her cage and her water looked like it hadnt been changed in a long while, enough to be soiled and have algea in it. Her tail feathers were a mess and when I asked why the woman had laughed and said cuz the husky thought it was a game to pull her tail through the cage. They were feeding the bird wild bird seed!

The bird was obviously very scared of me and didn't even know how to properly sit on my hand or grip my fingers, the poor thing fell off and then fluttered to the ground. She also shows a small case of cage aggression but its more, she runs away when you try to get her to step up. She did grab my fingers in warnings when I cornered her on their floor but she didnt even pinch. I find her to be a very sweet and alert bird and despite their painful newness to parrots to be in decent health.

She was called Sassy but we since named her Akira which means "Bright" or "clear". I intend to keep this bird for the rest of her life or mine, whichever comes first and hope to be able to successfully work with her. Right now I shall give her time to settle in and adjust and then the real fun will begin.

Sorry for such a long story but I am so excited to finally be able to have a Amazon again and just had to share with you! :green2:

Last edited by a moderator:

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
Congrats D_M for being back in the world of Amazons!!

I am a fellow Yellow Nape afficionado! I also used to have a very well loved Yellow Nape, he was a male, his name was Perry. This was at least 15-20 years ago. My ex-husband didn't like him & we were getting a divorce, but we decided that we still loved each other & we would try again to make our relationship work. So since he didn't like my 5 large parrots; Yellow Nape, Blue & Gold, Citron, African Gray & Rosebreasted cockatoo, I sold them all including my favorite Perry the YN. Anyway, my ex & I ended up getting a divorce anyway years later. I should have kept Perry, my sweetie instead of my ex. I had Perry for over 10 years & he was a great talker, he said "Hi baby", How are you, See you later, he meowed, he sounded just like me, more things that I can't remember now. Anyway recently I put an ad in Craigslist to look for my old YN Perry. I heard from a woman who asked me if I would take a different YN. I went to look at it & it looked pretty good. She made me buy a cage for 150.00 but pay nothing for the bird since it had been put in the Humane Society night drop box & she had paid nothing for it. She had about 5 African Grays, a Double Yellow Head, & about 2-3 small very noisy birds & a small dog. Her partner told he that she needed to get rid of one, she had too many birds according to him. I was experienced with large parrots, I knew that I was getting a good deal. Lila is my female YN, she has never bitten me hard, she was obviously hand fed as a baby. She has quite a personality & is ok at talking, she cries, she sings opera, but it is not my old beloved Perry.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Welcome to this forum.
A short story regarding my Amazones is that I have a new one sineces 27 days, a dubble yellow headed Amazon

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Welcome! I am owned by a blue front amazon. Its always good to see more amazon owners.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I'm sooooo happy for you, but also a tad jealous as well. Amazons are on my bucket list and primarily a Blue Front, which I'm hoping to add to my list very soon;)

Oh and by the way, WE LIKES PICTURES!

mike

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Amazons are on my bucket list and primarily a Blue Front, which I'm hoping to add to my list very soon;)

Blue Fronts are the best zon... ;) In my opinion...

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Welcome to the forum. I have a Mexican Red Headed Amazon, glad for more amazon owners. Pictures...

OP
Dark_Memory

Dark_Memory

Jul 24, 2011
Media
Michigan
Parrots
"Akira" - orange winged Amazon
Thanks for the big welcome everyone and for sharing some of your really sad but amazing stories. Here are some photos of my new best friend:

dark_memory-albums-akira-picture2228-akiras-first-look-her-new-home.jpg

dark_memory-albums-akira-picture2233-how-akiras-tail-feathers-look-right-now-due-ex-owners-dog-trying-pull-them-through-cage.jpg

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
This story made me teary! I'm so glad you were able to rescue her from those awful-sounding people. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts