Bad case of companion parrot withdrawls

Jaz27b

Jun 2, 2014
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Elmo - Varied Lorikeet - I miss you every single day
I'm having a real bad case of having birdie withdrawls! My Lori Elmo passed in January, since him no longer being around, I have been researching a different type and have concluded on a Senegal. Long story short, I live in a apartment that the landlord won't allow me to have a bird, planned to move from here in December to a new rental that would allow one. Now a very great thing has happened regarding money and I have been given a good little amount of money as a small inheritance..... Which means we can actually look to use it as part of a deposit to buy our first home! Amazing! But, work isn't so great right now financially, so a bird that costs $1500 plus a cage plus all start up costs including a vet check.... Really isn't an expense that helps our situation. Everyone is against me and says the bird should be the last thing on my mind and not a priority right now, especially now that I have an opportunity to get into the property market, all my extra savings should go towards that. Yes, I get it. Makes sense. BUT, I miss having a companion parrot so badly and is just important to me as buying a house! When Elmo passed, it really opened up my eyes as to how much happier my day to day life was having such a companion.
I somehow need to let go of the idea that I will be able to get one this december. They are quite rare here in aus, hatch typically now and get to their new homes November December.... And I think I will miss out. And will have to wait another dam year :-(
I'm so so sad :-(
Needed to whinge to someone who would understand and thought u guys would be the best listeners, so thanks for listening :)

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
PB: Green Cheek Conure (hatched 2009);
Master Beaker: B&G macaw (hatched Aug. 2014)
Oye. Financial sensibility on one hand, emotional desires on the other. I've been in that boat before. I hate that boat. I think that boat needs to sink. :rolleyes:

I'm sort of in a similar boat right now. The GCC I spent months taming and training went and bonded to my husband. The little traitor. :p Fortunately, she still lets me snuggle and play with her some, but it's not the same. Long story short I decided on a Hahn's macaw and found a breeder. She even had 2 babies for sale at the time, but I had a lot going on and wanted to get some remodel work on my house done before bringing another bird home. I thought I'd have to wait until next year's breeding season and it was torture, but lo and behold her breeding pair went and laid 3 more eggs and 1 of them was viable. I actually got to peek in and see the little tyke the day he hatched. So the unexpected can happen! But it works both ways...

I've already put a deposit down on my Hahn's macaw, bought a cage, etc. However, we still owe hundreds to the breeder when we pick Fozzie up and in the last month we have had thousands of dollars in unexpected expenses (medical bills, helping out family, etc.). To pay for them AND still get Fozzie (without dipping into other funds) I've had to delay some kitchen remodel work that I've been waiting 4 years for. I was literally getting dressed to go order my new floor and countertop when I got a phone call from a family member needing financial help. *Sigh* It was a tough call. I really don't like the idea of putting myself first and feel the kitchen should be my priority over a bird. On the other hand, my husband likes to point out that I'm happier with a bird and when I'm happy everyone else can be happy. (The reverse does not happen. LOL) In the end I decided "poop happens" and the kitchen can wait a few months. :D

Every person's boat is different though. Buying a house takes a lot more money than just the down payment. You've got escrows, moving costs, appliances, and a million things you don't always think about like lawn mowers, curtains, etc. I can certainly understand and commend you for waiting to buy your bird. I also understand how torturous the wait can be. *Hugs*

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Why not consider a less expensive bird, like a cockatiel? I simply adore mine and he's an amazing companion!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Maybe if you can find a Senigal for adoption? They are usually not as expensive there! :) I hope you don't have to go too long without a fid!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Well, tough call Jaz! Only bird (pet) people can understand how it can be so 'up there' on the priority list ;).
It's really your call depending on if this inheritance is in actuality 'enough' to spare the amount for the bird and expenses that go with it, without much of a consequence?
Or, like Sonia suggested, get another little birdie now, and when you can more easily afford a Senegal (maybe NEXT breeding season?) you can get it then, and have 2 special birds. Can you see that scenario working out? Good luck! Keep us posted :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
When we got Zoe that money was earmarked for new pipes. The responsible thing would have been to pass her by, but life is short and we've needed new pipes for a while. A few more months won't make a difference and Zoe will give a lifetime of enjoyment.

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
I see your dilemma, however, Your happyness is important regardless of what everyone else wants of and for you. Only you can make that choice but i say, not knowing your situation, grab your bird, be happy, and worry about life later, as long as you can feed yourself and take care of your buddy, whats the issue?

OP
Jaz27b

Jaz27b

Jun 2, 2014
Sydney Australia
Parrots
I knew you would all understand! :)

Dust Bunny.... thats hilarious, i wish this boat would sink also LOL. I LOVE that you ended up getting a Hanhs Macaw, they were a big choice for me also, but for my lifestyle and work and apartment living, i ended up choosing the Senegal :) Hahns are so dam cute though, there is a bird shop near me and they have like 8 hahns at the moment for sale, i wish i could buy them all hehe.

Sonja - i used to semi own a cockateil when i was a kid, he lived at my dads place and got to see him on weekends, He was a very smart birdie and i do love them, they remind me of a little cockatoo! (i think they are of the same) :) but unfortunately my heart is set on a Senegal, purely due to the type of bird that they are and they truely fit my life to a T. The independance is a huge thing for me, which the senegals are and also their quietness too.

kq_fan - Australia sucks for bird shelters/adoptions :-( Sure, of course there are places where birds are up for adoption, but most of the time they are cockatiels and lorikeets and cockatoos.... unfortunately finding a senegal would be very very hard. I was in contact with a family who was selling their father inlaws senegal just a month or so back, and he is still an option..... but, still priced at $1500. They bought him for $1900 from a breeder in Queensland just a month before the in law could no longer care for him (something must happened suddenly). $1500 is the cheapest senegal from a breeder here that i can find, but go up to $2100 :-( And this particualr one that needs a new home, is the only one i have seen for sale the past..... i duno, 6 months that i have been looking :-(

Hey ravens! Well, in MY eyes, spending say 2k on this birdie right now (it wud be december tho), is no big deal LOL. It doesnt affect the inheritance at all, which was actually an inheritance to mum, which she is gifting to me and will take it from my inheritance from her (hope that makes sense), to help me get my foot in the door to buy a place. So, yes my partner and I are a little tight for money right now in general, purely cause work is slow, but not to the point where cannt afford to buy the bird. Its the whole "PRIORITY" crap thats ruining it now. My mum says all money should now be put towards the inheritance money to have a bigger deposit to put down,and to just wait for the bird untill next time/season. Steve my partner, agrees, to an extent. Because it is my mum who is helping us so much, i feel like i have to atleast not get the bird right now coz of how much she is helping. And it sucks Lol.
Getting a cheaper birdie now, and then waiting for my senegal next season would be awesome, but to be super picky... i really only want one bird. I would love a whole family of them in reality, but being sensible and doing the right thing by them, i wouldnt have time for 2, and again, if it was 2, i would want them to both be senegals LOL

TheKarens - i completely agree, life is to short! And i keep telling everyone that i am a happier person with a birdie in my life. They just dont get it though :-( If it was my own money, like i had saved up my own deposit fully... i woldnt care what anyone said... but cause im being helped... i feel like i must. At the end of the day, it may only be another year.... I just dont want to have to wait that exrta year hehe.

Timmothy - the pic of your B&G macaw is adorable in your pic! and again, im all for your answer too.... if i wasnt being helped so much :-(

All in All, if it wasnt for my mum helping, i wouldnt be able to buy a property at our currant rate of saving for a deposit for atleast say 5 more years minimum. I feel so torn, yet so grateful, but ungrateful at the same time Lol.
None of my friends have birds so its not like i cant steal their ones every now and then and play mama bird Lol, the local bird store already has enough volunteers at the moment and i even asked my Vet around the corner, which specializes in Birds, if i could do volunteer worl and they said no, as all volunteer work is needed to be given to student studying :-(

Arggggh i feel like such a sook! I do feel better though now having you guys to blurt it all out to and get it off my chest, so thanks everyone :)

Matt_95

Aug 13, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Calvin - Blue quaker parrot
That is a toughie, in the past week I've been faced with the opportunity to get a hahns macaw which is a bit of a dream bird for me. However their set up and the bird would cost me a lot and I decided I really need that money to get myself started in my career. I stuck with getting a quaker and I do plan on getting one of two more birds later in life so I guess we are in a different position in that regard.

I know perky parrots has some Senegals, maybe you could put a deposit on one and see how long they would be able to hold it for you? Or perhaps they would allow you to pay in installments which I've always found helps take away from the financial burden. That way it never comes out of my savings but directly from my pay.
Perky Parrots - For Sale

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
PB: Green Cheek Conure (hatched 2009);
Master Beaker: B&G macaw (hatched Aug. 2014)
I think you're right that since your mother is against the bird at this moment and is helping out so much, it would be rude to get a bird now. BUT who is to say you can't start supply shopping? Huh? It helps me when I'm having a very impatient day. I just buy a perch or make a toy. If you start watching want ads now maybe you can even pick up a nice used cage or a new one on sale. Then you'll have more money for toys! :p

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
I think you're right that since your mother is against the bird at this moment and is helping out so much, it would be rude to get a bird now. BUT who is to say you can't start supply shopping? Huh? It helps me when I'm having a very impatient day. I just buy a perch or make a toy. If you start watching want ads now maybe you can even pick up a nice used cage or a new one on sale. Then you'll have more money for toys! :p

This is an outstanding idea and may even be your best bet. Sometimes people rush into getting their new buddy - not saying that you would - and forget just how many accessories you need for the bird

Cage, Stands are awesome, many perches, like the rough swird shaped ones i like, and rope perches are great for senegals. swings, dishes, food, toys.. all parrots absolutely need things to shred and wood to chew for their beaks and happiness. my macaw will chew through a 50 dollar toy in a day. (i just buy untreated bird safe wood, and "paint" it with kool aid or food coloring. drill holes and use nickel chain to string it together.

So think of how much awesome stuff your bird will have if you buy a few things every month and stock up for when your able to bring your buddy home

Kimmied

Sep 7, 2013
PA
Parrots
I have one umbrella cockatoo. A female 3 years old named Mina.
Dustbunny that really is great. I'm a sucker for letting the responsibility ship sink lol. I just bust out there and get my baby and to heck with the house. Weelllll not the best thing to do but I'm happy as a lark!! So I guess I'm not the best one for advice. There has to be a way to have your dream home and fill it with happiness.

OP
Jaz27b

Jaz27b

Jun 2, 2014
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Hey Matt 95, yup have spoken to the guy from Perky Parrots, he does the whole deposit and layby which is awesome.... But I guess the whole issue is I'm still spending all that money on a bird, not towards the deposit to help it grow a bit more :-(

Dustbunny, ya ya that is a good idea! I think I will definitely start buying little toys and bits and pieces :) It will hopefully help keep me happy in the mean time, even if it does end up having to be put off to the next breeding season next year, it's something birdie related so should help :)

Thank you everyone for your responses! Fingers crossed I get my fid this year hehe

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Hey Matt 95, yup have spoken to the guy from Perky Parrots, he does the whole deposit and layby which is awesome.... But I guess the whole issue is I'm still spending all that money on a bird, not towards the deposit to help it grow a bit more :-(

Dustbunny, ya ya that is a good idea! I think I will definitely start buying little toys and bits and pieces :) It will hopefully help keep me happy in the mean time, even if it does end up having to be put off to the next breeding season next year, it's something birdie related so should help :)

Thank you everyone for your responses! Fingers crossed I get my fid this year hehe

>_> I play with my bird's toys sometimes. You could too! and once your familiar with all his neat new toys, once you take your buddy home, you can show him how all of them work like a pro! He will love you so much for it. They love a good play mate. I have a little baby size basket ball and i roll it on the floor and my Blue and Gold Macaw will run after it, try to pick it up and stuff and rollit back to me sometimes. Its funny cause some of my floors are tile and she'll do a fred flinstone after the ball

Most Reactions

Latest posts