Bad Molt Questions

averybirb

Jul 24, 2019
My Conure has been shuffling when she walks for the past two days. I believe she is going through a molt and there must be a feather coming in around her leg area that's really bothering her. I've been keeping close watch on her, she has been eating and drinking normally but sleeping a lot more (I'm guessing because of the molt). My question is, has anyone else experienced this with their parrot? She pretty much limps because of the discomfort and has been since yesterday morning. I'm not sure if I should wait this out or bring her to the vet to have it looked at.

Thanks in advance.

KingTiel

Jan 27, 2023
Australia
Parrots
White Faced Cockatiel
Is your bird Hand Raised? Does it mind getting handled at all? You probably do this already but ill give my input on my experiences.
If its not too traumatic for your Conure you can lightly feel where the issue might be on the skin. Quite often i will feel around my birds body to see what new feathers are coming in and try to soften the wax surrounding the new pin feathers (never twisting, always lightly bending the feather). Just lightly massaging the feather, giving scritches for comfort. Just make sure there is enough feather to work with, never bend a short pin feather.
Just be VERY careful not to break any new pin feathers as this is very dangerous and they will bleed out.
On the other hand, new feathers that dont grow out correctly will cause feather cysts so feeling around the skin can also give you some insight into any growths.

Most Reactions

Latest posts