Baking used parrot stands!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Title says it all. I managed to score a nice desktop sized play stand for FREE with thick wood pieces suitable for an Amazon. The advertisement said it hadnā€™t been used but when I picked it up, it had lots of poo on it! Yuck. I did a surface clean with F10 but missed some stragglers.

Itā€™s a nice piece and Iā€™d hate to toss it, but I do not know the medical history of the previous owners (two senegals apparently). Iā€™m thinking of doing another once over with F10 in the daylight so I can actually SEE what Iā€™m doing (itā€™s a surprise present for my partner for Sammy as she stays in her office, so Iā€™m trying to be stealthy).

However to be 100% sure itā€™s clean, I want to bake it, and make a new base for it. It has rings drilled into it for toys though. Is it still oven safe? Iā€™m assuming itā€™s fine, but Iā€™ve never stuck a combo of wood & metal into my oven before, haha.

Also, what should I use for the base? I can order a variety of woods and I have access to a laser cutter and a large CNC router to cut pieces to make a nice tray to catch droppings, but knowing Sammy, she will probably chew on it.

It would be so cool to be able to use this piece along with a rope bridge style toy both our birds like to expand her play area! Appreciate any insight on treating secondhand parrot goods. :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If any of it is assembled or compacted wood, I would not bake it. Solid wood I have baked with no problem.

Another way to remove dried on poop is to wet a rag with 10% bleach and drape it over the dirty part.

I have become a poop removal expert over the years.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is a very good idea to remove the metal bits as metal heats at a different rate than wood and you could develop hot spots around those metal bits. Your approach is solid and will provide you the results you are looking for. If you live in an area that still enjoys the bright Sunlight and heat of Summer lay it to dry on clean concrete drive or walkway.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
If any of it is assembled or compacted wood, I would not bake it. Solid wood I have baked with no problem.

Another way to remove dried on poop is to wet a rag with 10% bleach and drape it over the dirty part.

I have become a poop removal expert over the years.
The base is made of garbage and Iā€™m throwing that out - it looks like MDF or some other kind of layered wood. But the branches for perching etc are made of coffee wood or dragon wood or whatever it is they use for natural looking bird trees. I assume those are oven safe if I grab some pliers and unscrew the toy rings?

Thanks for the replies yall. I was so sad to see the poop on it, but I thought I could maybe still salvage it since the last time I bought one of these stands it cost me about $150!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
First rule of thumb for stands and toys - make nothing fancy, because it will most likely be destroyed! I would use solid wood for the base, try a DIY store and get some solid wood shelves and cut to suit.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
First rule of thumb for stands and toys - make nothing fancy, because it will most likely be destroyed! I would use solid wood for the base, try a DIY store and get some solid wood shelves and cut to suit.
We have some stock solid wood at the workshop Iā€™m a member of, so Iā€™ll just use whatever we have on hand. Itā€™s going to be pooped on and chewed on though so I wasnā€™t sure if any particular type of wood was best!

Most Reactions

Latest posts