Bald Spots On My Green Cheek Conure

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Miles, Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure
Miles has been extremely healthy since I've gotten him, full-feathered and soft. But now, close to being due to molt, he is getting tiny bald spots on the back of his head. He doesn't scratch excessively that I've noticed. I'm just wondering if this is something that is due to the age of his current feathers and if it will rectify itself once he molts.
I can try to get pictures if that would help.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
P
Miles has been extremely healthy since I've gotten him, full-feathered and soft. But now, close to being due to molt, he is getting tiny bald spots on the back of his head. He doesn't scratch excessively that I've noticed. I'm just wondering if this is something that is due to the age of his current feathers and if it will rectify itself once he molts.
I can try to get pictures if that would help.
Pictures!

OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
I did my best to get photos. I also noticed he's scratching and shaking a lot. Could this just be from the fact that he's getting ready to molt and is just really itchy? I examined his skin as best I could and can't see that he has mites.

Attachments

• 20211218_225132.jpg
    20211218_225132.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 20211218_225122.jpg
    20211218_225122.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 131

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I did my best to get photos. I also noticed he's scratching and shaking a lot. Could this just be from the fact that he's getting ready to molt and is just really itchy? I examined his skin as best I could and can't see that he has mites.
It might be he is having a very bad molt if there are pin feathers growing in tthen i think he is fine

OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
It might be he is having a very bad molt if there are pin feathers growing in tthen i think he is fine
I have noticed some pin feathers. Thanks! As a bird owner yourself, you probably understand how over concerned I can get when something happens to my Miles!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I have noticed some pin feathers. Thanks! As a bird owner yourself, you probably understand how over concerned I can get when something happens to my Miles!
I remember when tiki had a horrible moult i thought she was plucking

OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
I remember when tiki had a horrible moult i thought she was plucking
Oh believe me I thought Miles was plucking too. So I really ramped up how much time he spent out of his cage just in case. Lol I'm glad he's fine. I think it is just a heavy molt coming on. He's losing feathers here and there. He's due anyway.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Oh believe me I thought Miles was plucking too. So I really ramped up how much time he spent out of his cage just in case. Lol I'm glad he's fine. I think it is just a heavy molt coming on. He's losing feathers here and there. He's due anyway.
I swear its the most horrific thing
Imagine going out of a room for 15 minutes and coming back to see 8 feathers on the floor

OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
I swear its the most horrific thing
Imagine going out of a room for 15 minutes and coming back to see 8 feathers on the floor
Yeah Miles molted really heavy last Dec/Jan. It was his first molt. He made a carpet of feathers in his cage floor every couple of days.

Most Reactions

Latest posts