River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
Well this happened this morning:
d3de9853d0e45db62d4b10cab816221b.jpg

I think it’s blood as I noticed Basil was seeming to struggle a bit when going poo. So I sit here at the vet, hoping Dr. Brooks can tell me what’s wrong. I’ve been a mess and crying. I just want him to be okay. Just reaching out to the group to get the emotion and frustration off my chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very sorry to see what appears to be blood. Is it remotely possible Basil ate something unusual that passed with identical color?

Unsure about birds, but bright blood with humans suggests issue closer to vent issue rather than higher in the digestive system.

A quick Google of Dr. Brooks with Citrus Park (?) suggests Basil is in great hands. Of course nothing short of total wellness brings comfort during distressing situations. Please keep up updated or if you wish to chat, we are here for you and family.

OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Haven’t talked directly to doctor yet. Nurse said they believe it is blood too. Asked me all types of questions about his diet, water, etc. They want to run a culture on the stool. Nurse then praised me for Basil being a 1997 model... 23 years old.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh, that's scary! Fingers crossed for good news. Please keep us updated! You're in like minded company here, so absolutely feel free to vent, or whatever you need. We're here to help in any way we can.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Bright blood is often linked with lead or metal poisoning. Lead can be in wall paper abd many things. It doesn't take much.

Anything he bern chewing on?

Good luck. I sure hope they figure it out sbd help yiu. Great job getting to vet quick

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The great news is that you have an appointment!!! Congratulations on that!!!

NOTE: Basil needs you to relax, slowly breath deep and slowly release it! Remember that our Parrots read our emotions, hence your relaxing will help Basil.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm so sorry to hear this news, Alembic. Whatever this is it seems you have caught it early. Sending all my very best wishes and positive vibes to you and Basil!

OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
Bright blood is often linked with lead or metal poisoning. Lead can be in wall paper abd many things. It doesn't take much.

Anything he bern chewing on?

Good luck. I sure hope they figure it out sbd help yiu. Great job getting to vet quick

Basil has never been a chewer. He just has some toys in his cage that I know he likes that are mostly corn husk or other natural materials. He has a new kabob but I am sure that it is safe as it is stainless steel. I don’t think he has any metal other than what’s always been used in his cage to hang his toys or perches.

OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
We are home. Doctor sent me home with some Bene-Bac plus to put on basils food. He also asked me to soak his pellets with pure apple juice or pomegranate juice because his stool is very hard. Basils poops have always been firm, nothing like paprika’s looser poo.

We have to go back in the morning because on the way home he pooped but then this coagulated blood came out after.
103b0de13281477ff033a7308994d5c3.jpg

I don’t know what to do and it’s frustrating. He is acting like he normally does. Just he makes a grunt when going poo and this blood in it. He’s talking, whistling, etc. he’s playing with his treat wheel. So difficult because they don’t show us they don’t feel good.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry. You can try yogurt with Acidophilus too, rely helps my birds poops.
Feed warm pumpkin, the fiber helps them pass foreign objects, or with constipation.
He could be grunting from pain...

Gosh darn it!! I hate seeing burds sick

His urates are very yellow and stringy...

What is his weights? Did he loose?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am so sorry you are dealing with this...You are doing a good job.

I am not a fan of your vet's reply...If that is blood...how is benebac going to fix that? I am not saying it might not help in some ways, but the world of avian probiotics is controversial to say the least and I give benebac daily, despite my vet's assertion that it is basically pointless...There is no solid evidence that is works (I am not saying to stop it, but if that is the vet's solution when presented with those symptoms...until more blood is pooped out on the ride home....EEK!) Your vet's answer seems like spraying some BactIne on a bullet wound.
Keep doing the probiotics--- that can't hurt, but it just seems like a crazy solution to an unrelated problem).

Did they do anything other than a fecal test, because this will likely require imaging and possibly other specific tests. Also, it concerns me a little that they were impressed by his age...30 is low average, right? 23 years deserves a huge pat on the back when living with a parrot, but were they shocked that she was still alive, or that you had her that long?

Last edited:
OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
I'm sorry. You can try yogurt with Acidophilus too, rely helps my birds poops.
Feed warm pumpkin, the fiber helps them pass foreign objects, or with constipation.
He could be grunting from pain...

Gosh darn it!! I hate seeing burds sick

His urates are very yellow and stringy...

What is his weights? Did he loose?

I think it’s the camera angle or the light because his urates are pretty milky white and even Doc said it looks fine. His weight it 350, in his normal range between 340-360 that he fluctuates in.

He is acting almost completely normal except the blood in his poo.

I gave him warm butternut squash tonight as I don’t have any pumpkin available.

OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
I am so sorry you are dealing with this...You are doing a good job.

I am not a fan of your vet's reply...If that is blood...how is benebac going to fix that? I am not saying it might not help in some ways, but the world of avian probiotics is controversial to say the least and I give benebac daily, despite my vet's assertion that it is basically pointless...There is no solid evidence that is works (I am not saying to stop it, but if that is the vet's solution when presented with those symptoms...until more blood is pooped out on the ride home....EEK!) Your vet's answer seems like spraying some BactIne on a bullet wound.
Keep doing the probiotics--- that can't hurt, but it just seems like a crazy solution to an unrelated problem).

Did they do anything other than a fecal test, because this will likely require imaging and possibly other specific tests. Also, it concerns me a little that they were impressed by his age...30 is low average, right? 23 years deserves a huge pat on the back when living with a parrot, but were they shocked that she was still alive, or that you had her that long?

We talked about treatments and since there is no obvious symptoms, this was a maintenance attempt to see if he is better in the morning. Since the blood is red and not dark, it is like he has a tear from being constipated or a hemorrhoid that ruptured. We are going back in the morning and will most likely have blood work and x rays done. I don’t like the idea of x rays as it requires him to have anesthesia. The doc gave me options and to come back in the morning. So that is what we did.

They told me he is one of the older eclectus they have seen. I think it was more praising me that he is in great shape and super friendly still. I thought oldest in captivity was 35?

I don’t expect the blood to just stop right away either. I am worried but watching him. And he is acting normal as ever. So I dunno.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I forgot to say warmth is really important for sick or injured birds. Aim for 80-85.
I use the sweeter heater, but there are other options.
Rooting for you guys

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Since Basil does not appear in imminent critical danger, blood panel advisable before anesthesia to reduce odds of complications. Modern Sevoflurane or Isoflurane gasses pose minimal risk for otherwise generally healthy parrot. Is vet contemplating endoscopy of vent area in addition to X-Rays?

OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
We are back at the vet. Waiting to talk to doc. Basil was basically himself all night and this morning. There is still a small amount of blood in the bowel movements. He also strains a little bit when going. Will let you know what doc says.

OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
We are back at the vet. Waiting to talk to doc. Basil was basically himself all night and this morning. There is still a small amount of blood in the bowel movements. He also strains a little bit when going. Will let you know what doc says.

We are back home again from the vet. They did blood work on him, did x rays and another physical exam. The doctor said that he has a mineral deposit/calcification in his GI tract and asked if I give him supplements. Of course, we know I’ve been converting him from Zupreem to Harrison’s (first) and Tops pellets (now). He doesn’t get supplements and only fresh food offered alongside those pellets.

He sent me home with an antibiotic to be given twice a day, and told me to get regular (not sugar feee) Metamucil. I am to give him a slurry made from 1/16 teaspoon and water three times a day. He believes that the strain, discomfort and bleeding is coming from passing the “stone” and this should help. The antibiotic is for maintenance until we get fecal culture, fecal parasite, and bloodwork back. I’m still also spraying his food and pellets with a fine mist of pure apple juice to help with a natural laxative effect.

He did not want to do anything else until he is sure there is nothing negative in the lab results. I asked about the endoscopy and he said he wasn’t comfortable if basil has an infection doing that and inducing more stress. So we wait until Monday for the CBC to come back.

Basil is being his normal self except a little sleepy at first. I think this is from the anesthesia and stress. He’s now climbing about the cage and coming over to me at the table to see what I was eating. Paprika and him are getting along and she was pacing at the bottom of her cage when I got home. As soon as she saw him she went back up to her rope perch and started talking. I think she missed her neighbor.

I will keep you posted if anything changes.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Seems the vet is taking conservative steps given Basil is managing relatively well. Hope lab + X-Ray results give clarity for diagnosis and effective treatment.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020

We are back home again from the vet. They did blood work on him, did x rays and another physical exam. The doctor said that he has a mineral deposit/calcification in his GI tract and asked if I give him supplements. Of course, we know I’ve been converting him from Zupreem to Harrison’s (first) and Tops pellets (now). He doesn’t get supplements and only fresh food offered alongside those pellets.

He sent me home with an antibiotic to be given twice a day, and told me to get regular (not sugar feee) Metamucil. I am to give him a slurry made from 1/16 teaspoon and water three times a day. He believes that the strain, discomfort and bleeding is coming from passing the “stone” and this should help. The antibiotic is for maintenance until we get fecal culture, fecal parasite, and bloodwork back. I’m still also spraying his food and pellets with a fine mist of pure apple juice to help with a natural laxative effect.

He did not want to do anything else until he is sure there is nothing negative in the lab results. I asked about the endoscopy and he said he wasn’t comfortable if basil has an infection doing that and inducing more stress. So we wait until Monday for the CBC to come back.

Basil is being his normal self except a little sleepy at first. I think this is from the anesthesia and stress. He’s now climbing about the cage and coming over to me at the table to see what I was eating. Paprika and him are getting along and she was pacing at the bottom of her cage when I got home. As soon as she saw him she went back up to her rope perch and started talking. I think she missed her neighbor.

I will keep you posted if anything changes.

I am glad you and basil have plan to get him back to feeling better! Just curious what is the metamucil Suppose to do?

Most Reactions