OP
M

MetroidGirl

Feb 11, 2008
Media
houston!
Parrots
Male Eclectus: Flanagan
btw, while she likes bathing and doesnt mind getting wet....she screams really loud whenever were in the shower....what can i do to get her to stop yelling in the shower? if she's not screaming, then she's falling asleep in the shower.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Hamlet and Mac do the same thing, that's not a screaming situation that you want to train out ~ especially if she is fairly quiet during the rest of the day. All birds need to scream, and if she gets her time to scream in the shower then maybe you should just let her, besides, that's an "I'm happy and having a great time" scream. I have a friend who has a 'zon who only screams when she either blow-drys her hair or vacuums, otherwise the bird doesn't scream, but talks a lot ...

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
IF you wanted to stop it I'd just set up a contingency of scream = get out of the shower. Every time she screams she's out.

However I strongly agree with Tex, that this could just be her outlet time. I had a client once (I have a dog training business) who's dog would howl quite loud every day. Rather than try to STOP the behavior we simply put it on a nice routine schedule. Every day at a certain time the whole family got together and howled for a couple minutes. Then it was over. For this dog howling was a natural behavior that would be hard to eliminate, however it could be controlled, or limited to that one time. For birds screaming is a natural behavior; best bet is making one or two times a day screaming time where it's allowed and even encouraged, then you can much more easily reduce it (or eliminate it) during other times.

Its just like potty training a bird. You cant get them NOT to poop, you just get them to go in the right times and places.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
... However I strongly agree with Tex ...

Man, you don't want to do that ... See, I have this EGO issue, and with people agreeing with me, and getting a few low-level ADMIN powers around here ... my head is going to swell up as big as a hot-air balloon ... :eek:

Last edited:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
ok, in that case I think Tex is full of crap, but he happened to get lucky this time :p

Better watch out with a balloon-head when you have a conure around. POP goes the moderator head.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
... Better watch out with a balloon-head when you have a conure around. POP goes the moderator head.

Never mind the conures, do you have a wife, 'cause really, they do the same thing, only more often! :18:

Sorry, honey, 'cause I know you read this forum ... :)

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Nope no wife. Lived with a girl for a while.... Not sure who nagged and screamed more, her or Auggie. She didn't bite though, at least not that hard.

All in all it was much easier to let her go than it would be to ever let Auggie go. Afterall, if I ever really have enough all I have to do is put him in his cage and throw a sheet over him and he'll shut up. Find me a woman who that works for and....

... no wonder Im single.

Most Reactions

Latest posts