Bathing and feather health tips?

GabeB

Jan 13, 2020
Tennessee
Parrots
Red sided Eclectus
Umbrella Cockatoo
Blue Masked Lovebird
Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some feedback on how often you bathe your Ekkies. I learned from Echo's vet that he is an overpreener, but I feel like his feathers aren't as healthy as they could be (even being an overpreener). His colors are still vibrant and beautiful, but many times his feathers look messy and some often break. He is in a Cockatoo size cage, so I don't think that is an issue. Echo doesn't bathe himself at all from what I've seen... had him for 4 years now. Should I be bathing him weekly, biweekly? Any suggestions are appreciated. Currently he takes a shower with me about once every week/2 weeks. Thanks everyone!

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some feedback on how often you bathe your Ekkies. I learned from Echo's vet that he is an overpreener, but I feel like his feathers aren't as healthy as they could be (even being an overpreener). His colors are still vibrant and beautiful, but many times his feathers look messy and some often break. He is in a Cockatoo size cage, so I don't think that is an issue. Echo doesn't bathe himself at all from what I've seen... had him for 4 years now. Should I be bathing him weekly, biweekly? Any suggestions are appreciated. Currently he takes a shower with me about once every week/2 weeks. Thanks everyone!
I don't have an ekkie but the feathers sound like my crimson bellied conures feathers. Her feathers have looked very messy and generally in poor condition for ages. She was bathing herself, but wouldn't preen afterwards, and when she would preen it would be so brief that it wouldn't actually do anything to the feathers. I didn't realise how bad it was but getting her on a better diet has improved her feather condition a lot and she now preens properly.

Could it be diet related? I know he's an overpreener but it could still be diet related

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
Hi! Welcome to the forums. I have a female ekkie called Ruby. She doesn’t like bathing in a bird bath. Have you tried misting him? I think two times a week may be right, depending on the weather. Oh, if your using hot water, it may be not good for your bird since in the wild, there’s only cold water. Hot water may damage his feathers though I’m not sure. It might be that you are over handling him. As you know, ekkies have oil on their feathers that they mostly use to preen and protect their feathers. Our hands have oil that can react with the ekkie’s. That could be the problem. Could I see pictures of him? He must be gorgeous!

ZorroKnowsAll

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 28, 2023
Europe
Parrots
Zorro (my caique)
TequiIa, Blue lagoon, Hibiki and Pumpkin spice (greencheeks, mostly my boyfriend's)
Icarus and Gaia (budgies)
❤️
If you want him to not have a bad experience bathing showering together is perfect to do (which you are doing). Perhaps do so more often. It's also always a good idea to use a plant sprayer on the softest setting to mist your bird every day if he doesn't bathe. If this doesnt help with the feathers not looking as healthy, it may have to do with your birds diet? Or could he be moulting? Hope this helps a bit

OP
GabeB

GabeB

Jan 13, 2020
Tennessee
Parrots
Red sided Eclectus
Umbrella Cockatoo
Blue Masked Lovebird
Hi! Welcome to the forums. I have a female ekkie called Ruby. She doesn’t like bathing in a bird bath. Have you tried misting him? I think two times a week may be right, depending on the weather. Oh, if your using hot water, it may be not good for your bird since in the wild, there’s only cold water. Hot water may damage his feathers though I’m not sure. It might be that you are over handling him. As you know, ekkies have oil on their feathers that they mostly use to preen and protect their feathers. Our hands have oil that can react with the ekkie’s. That could be the problem. Could I see pictures of him? He must be gorgeous!
Thanks for the tips from both of those who responded. I’ve attached a pic below! <3

Attachments

• IMG_2437.jpeg
    IMG_2437.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 24

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
Thanks for the tips from both of those who responded. I’ve attached a pic below! <3
He looks great! Do you feed him chop? Chop are really good and important for ekkies!

ZorroKnowsAll

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 28, 2023
Europe
Parrots
Zorro (my caique)
TequiIa, Blue lagoon, Hibiki and Pumpkin spice (greencheeks, mostly my boyfriend's)
Icarus and Gaia (budgies)
❤️
So cute!! He does look pretty great actually! If its the diet or lack of bathing it isnt anything major to worry about, he looks very healthy :)

OP
GabeB

GabeB

Jan 13, 2020
Tennessee
Parrots
Red sided Eclectus
Umbrella Cockatoo
Blue Masked Lovebird
He looks great! Do you feed him chop? Chop are really good and important for ekkies!
So cute!! He does look pretty great actually! If its the diet or lack of bathing it isnt anything major to worry about, he looks very healthy :)
Thank ya’ll! I have started misting a couple times a day which he seems to enjoy quite a bit. It is mainly his flight feathers and tail that get real messy. He is on about a half and half mix of chop and pellet due to vet recommendation. Thanks for the friendliness and replies. I think misting and the showers he’s been taking with me will do the trick!

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
I try to bathe my birds with a warm wet hand towel once a week. try giving your bird more vitamins A C D.

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
I try to bathe my birds with a warm wet hand towel once a week. try giving your bird more vitamins A C D.
"try giving your bird more vitamins A C D." as in healthy chop, not enriched pellets or supplements which can cause real health issues in Eclectus.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts