Bathing in vitamin water

Riot

Jan 2, 2023
Media
Parrots
Lovebird
A few weeks ago I got Mango a water bowl which encouraged him to bathe more often. The problem is that before that I was giving him vitamin water. If he were to bathe in vitamin water would anything happen to him?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
General consensus (and my Avian vet too) is that vitamins are only administered when there is a valid cause to do so; ie a deficiency. In this case specifically, I would not, unless directed to do so by your Avian Vet, for 2 reasons. One- there is the fact that with vitamins, too much of a good thing is a bad thing, whether they are given orally or on feathers. Secondly, I have never heard of adding vitamins to bath water so that the feathers get some. Feathers are much like fingernails and beaks - mostly made of dead tissue. Why coat them with vitamins?

Above is IMHO only.

OP
R

Riot

Jan 2, 2023
Media
Parrots
Lovebird
General consensus (and my Avian vet too) is that vitamins are only administered when there is a valid cause to do so; ie a deficiency. In this case specifically, I would not, unless directed to do so by your Avian Vet, for 2 reasons. One- there is the fact that with vitamins, too much of a good thing is a bad thing, whether they are given orally or on feathers. Secondly, I have never heard of adding vitamins to bath water so that the feathers get some. Feathers are much like fingernails and beaks - mostly made of dead tissue. Why coat them with vitamins?

Above is IMHO only.
It's not that I want him to bathe in it but his water bowl is the only one he wants to bathe and drink from. I could place another water container that only allows him to drink from it but I doubt he would use it in the first place. The reason why I started giving him vitamin water is because at one point he could not fly far enough to reach his spot on the furniture. When I started giving him vitamin water that problem got solved.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It's not that I want him to bathe in it but his water bowl is the only one he wants to bathe and drink from. I could place another water container that only allows him to drink from it but I doubt he would use it in the first place. The reason why I started giving him vitamin water is because at one point he could not fly far enough to reach his spot on the furniture. When I started giving him vitamin water that problem got solved.
More likely the effects of gained muscle from practice than the water with some vitamins in it. FYI: Most on us have our Parrots splashing in their water dish. It is part of the ever changing out water as our Parrots drink, bathe and create soup in them, plus an occasional poop, just to see if you are checking.

Most Reactions

Latest posts