Bathing question for Congo African Grey

Lynr

Aug 5, 2014
United States - Georgia
Parrots
Whistle - cockatiel - 4 yrs. old
Happy - African Grey - 2 yrs. old
Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to ask a question about the water that I use to bathe my African Grey with. I use just regular tap water to mist my birds everyday. The water is extremely hard with high lime deposits. All my faucets, sink, and showers get caked up with lime deposits from the water. I have noticed if I don't dry off pretty quick after taking a shower myself, my skins gets a little itchy. Could this water cause Happy and Whistle to feel itchy also? Happy, the African Grey has done a little plucking recently. I think the plucking started back in the spring. She has seen a vet, but the vet seems to think it is more behaviorial. I didn't think to mention the water at the time. I have had Happy since she was about 10 weeks old and have always used the same water for her baths also. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you!
Lynr

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I would never bathe openly in the Congo. You would most likely get eaten by a crocodile. Oh, Congo African Grey...never mind.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Unlikely to be the cause of plucking...

I'd say increase the amount of stimulation your bird is getting to try and decrease the plucking.

Most Reactions

Latest posts