BCC and Shoulders?

Moutstainz

Sep 12, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
Jibbo-BCC
Derrick-GCC (RIP)
Hi all

New here, but have been lurking on and off for years gleaning some valuable advice. Thank you all in advance!

We just got Jibboo, our 14 week old Blue Crowned Conure, last Saturday. He came from a reputable breeder, was hand-fed, and is very tame and sweet.

What is the general consensus on having a Blue Crown up on the shoulder?

We never had a problem with our Green Cheek, who was 2.5 when he passed. However, I realize the BCC is a little bit bigger (his beak certainly is!)

So far, we have allowed Jibboo to be on the shoulder, which he seems to enjoy when we are up and walking around. If we are sitting on the sofa, he immediately wants off the shoulder to go to his little spot he apparently loves.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I have had no problem with Gilbert on my shoulder. He is very gentle and so far has not even nipped a stranger. I do reserve shoulder time for special times and by invitation only, normally not for any kind of play time, but for our 'quality time' or when we are out walking.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
The only thing I might add to RF's good info is to always be aware of any bird on your shoulder...no matter the size.....

In instances where you might be reading or otherwise in active, a bird on your shoulder might be comfortable enough to doze off and a quick movement on your part, spooks it, you could easily receive a serious bite to any part of your face and if you made the mistake of turning toward the bird, you could quickly and very easily lose an eye.....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Whatever you are comfortable allowing!

If you have a bird that can't be trusted, don't allow them up there! If you have a bird that is trust worthy but likes to nibble/bite or can be difficult getting down, work on training!

Most Reactions

Latest posts