Beak peeling or damage?!?!!

JessieRosie

Mar 25, 2014
London
Parrots
Rose Crowned Conure
Rosie has been having a long on/off molt which has consisted of mood swings, feather loss and some beak peeling.

The last few says she has been really grumpy, irritable and restless. She's been biting me and my flatmate and anyone who has been around. I'm feeling quite frustrated as I can't seem to calm her down.

I noticed yesterday that she has a bit of beak that is peeling off, but its bigger than the previous flakes.

Do you think this is normal beak peeling or something else?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jessie and Rosie

:green1:

Attachments

• 20140805_174604.jpg
    20140805_174604.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 354
  • 20140805_174625.jpg
    20140805_174625.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 269

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
your description sounds normal & her beak looks normal.

Although I've never had a rose crowned, both my nanday & my Patagonian have had extended molts and my patty's beak tends to look a bit scruffy when she takes a holiday from perch chewing & chewing of wood toys.....

After I got pedicure/manicure perches for my flock, they do a pretty good job of keeping toenails and flaking beaks nice and presentable.....

OP
J

JessieRosie

Mar 25, 2014
London
Parrots
Rose Crowned Conure
Thanks weco!

You have put me at ease :)

I need to invest in a good mani/pedi perch as she doesn't really like to chew things (no matter how many times I chew on bits of wood to encourage her!).

Thanks again,

Jessie and Rosie

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Try making 3 inch squares out of card stock ( I use the mailers that come) and hang them on leather strips. Hahnzel loves to shred them and then it helps get the loose edges of the face toenail...Errr, beak I mean.

I also will carefully pull off the loose edges. Then you can use a sandpaper, dremmel, or nail file to smooth off the ridges.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
Cooper also doesn't chew to much, but he loooooves to rub his beak on any rough surface he can find. I have one concrete perch and another rough perch. With his nails it doesn't help much, but a little, works great for him rubbing his beak though!

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
My only experience is with cockatiels but I know that the beaks on them seem to flake or peel and it seems to be normal

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
My cockatiel beak looks very similar - I thought that's completely normal.

Most Reactions