Beak seems misshapen? Should I be worried?

MustardSeeds

Aug 20, 2019
Parrots
Evita- 20 y/o Panama Amazon
:green2: Iā€™m a relatively new parrot parent, and as such Iā€™m constantly paranoid that my baby is sick or drying when even the smallest thing seems off. I have a 20 year old Panama Amazon, Evita, who I adopted last year from a rescue I volunteer with. Iā€™ve had some concerns with her health before, particularly with her beak, which sometimes looks ā€œflakeyā€ to me. Iā€™ve taken her to the vet for it before and they had told me it might be a Vitamin E deficiency, so Iā€™ve been giving her vitamin supplements as well as making sure she has plenty of Vitamin-rich foods available to her everyday. Whether or not she actually chooses to eats them is another story (what a picky eater I have!).

Recently I noticed her beak seemed uneven, and that one side seemed to almost be curving in. It was very slight, so I wasnā€™t sure if maybe it was just how her natural beak was shaped and Iā€™d never really noticed before, or if it was a new development I should be worried about. I scoured through all of my pictures of her and couldnā€™t really find anything conclusive. Iā€™m worried it might be a sign of calcium deficiency?? Iā€™m going to take her to the vet just to be sure, and maybe switch her to a new diet or do something more to encourage her to eat the foods she ignores that are really full of those vitamins she needs.

For reference, her diet mainly consists of Fruit ZuPreem pellets, fruits (apples and grapes mainly), veggies (mostly carrots and snap peas, sheā€™s been trying Brussels sprouts though) and some starches (I really want to encourage her to eat sweet potatoes, but so far she has been uninterested). She also gets banana chips (just dried banana) pretty often as a treat. I sprinkle Prime vitamin supplements on her fresh fruits and veggies every morning as well.

Am I maybe jumping the gun and being a tad too paranoid?
Any helpful words of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Can you show us a picture?

OP
M

MustardSeeds

Aug 20, 2019
Parrots
Evita- 20 y/o Panama Amazon
Of course! I had tried to upload some when writing the thread, but I had been on my mobile phone and it didn't really seem to have an option to upload from my phone's photo library.

It's the left side of her face (featured in the second photo) that makes me a little concerned. It's not dramatic, but I can see a slight curve inwards on her top mandible. Her beak also seems somewhat dry and flakey overall.

Attachments

• IMG_9118.jpg
    IMG_9118.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_9119.jpg
    IMG_9119.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_9120.jpg
    IMG_9120.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 122

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Flacky looks normal. If she has a groove down her beak it can be a sign of chronic sinius infection, my GCC Burt the Bird had a Grove from his chronic infection, though you never saw drainage. It can be an old sign from malnutrition or past infection that's cured too. I must state that I can't really see a groove just letting you know if you do. Always great to points it out to an avsin vet and ask questions. But beacks flake and peel that's normal

Most Reactions

Latest posts