Bedding change advice please!

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Hello!
Looking after momma bird while sheā€™s nesting is entirely new to me. I realize that each bird is unique, and this can definitely be said about my Twila.

Question: How soon after nesting begins can/should I change her nesting material?

She chose to shred newspaper as nesting material. I hate that sheā€™s done that, and I canā€™t sit her down and explain to her that ink is probably not good for her or her babies. I offered her Aspen, brown (un bleached) paper, even paper towels but she found paper with ink. Not good. Right?

I hate to bother her while she is sitting on her eggs. Donā€™t want to stress her out of course. Just peeked and she looked stressed, short of breath.

This is probably because I disturbed her, right? Not because of the ink, I hope? She took several days shredding the paper before settling down in her chosen nest, and sheā€™s smart enough to find another location if she feels unwell in the current one. Correct? I believe so.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Laura

Photos from todayā€™s little look-see. (Sorry Twila! I wonā€™t do that again unless youā€™re having a break from sitting on the eggs.)

videos donā€™t upload to this site? File too large. Sheā€™s quite sweet waddling up off her clutch, even though Iā€™m sorry she had to do so.

Attachments

• E67C1F00-BBAF-4F5C-AAEC-3C2563B00043.jpeg
    E67C1F00-BBAF-4F5C-AAEC-3C2563B00043.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 42
  • E5496AE7-7DCB-4F43-998C-A835E14F8430.jpeg
    E5496AE7-7DCB-4F43-998C-A835E14F8430.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 5E348CDC-739F-4190-AB1B-77F8B90CA02A.jpeg
    5E348CDC-739F-4190-AB1B-77F8B90CA02A.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 41

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not a breeder!
But, the discussion with her regarding news print is far less important than it once was. Today, news print is non-toxic, but will rub-off onto her and her eggs /chicks. It is not your most important concern at this point.
Finding a breeder that will help you is. But, sadly, most are unwilling to teach newbies.

OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Not a breeder!
But, the discussion with her regarding news print is far less important than it once was. Today, news print is non-toxic, but will rub-off onto her and her eggs /chicks. It is not your most important concern at this point.
Finding a breeder that will help you is. But, sadly, most are unwilling to teach newbies.
Thank you. Thatā€™s good to know. I mixed aspen bedding in last night at got some trustworthy advice from an experienced bird guy yesterday too. Havenā€™t yet checked for fertility, as Iā€™m trying not to handle the eggs. So far momma bird is happy to do her job.
Time will tell!
Sad that people are unwilling to share experience and knowledge. Imagine a doctor that held tight on to their expertiseā€¦ not a doctor that I would choose.
Hoping for a better outcome than would occur if nature simply took its course.
This is quite the learning experience. Definitely a miracle to witness. I looked for a budgie breeder before adopting my flock so birdie would have close human interaction as a chick, but came up with nothing. It takes a lot of persistence, patience, and time to tame a bird. One step forward, three steps backā€¦ and repeat with these little ones.
We have what we need to support healthy development, the rest is not up to me.
Have a lovely day!
Laura

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have had Cockatiel babies.
nesting material should not need to be changed until after babies hatch.
roosting birds leave the nest to do their business.
Babies canā€˜t leave the nest to poop so bedding will Need to be changed.

OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
I have had Cockatiel babies.
nesting material should not need to be changed until after babies hatch.
roosting birds leave the nest to do their business.
Babies canā€˜t leave the nest to poop so bedding will Need to be changed.
Thank you! For the health of both the hen and potential chicks, Iā€™d really like to transition away from the newspaper shreds into something without any chemicals just in case the ink could be an irritant.

No behavioral changes since adding unadulterated aspen bedding to the mix, so weā€™re off to a good start.

The nest box is large. (A bankers box for files and such).

Any thoughts on adding a shallow dish of water set on a towel to the side opposite of the eggs? Iā€™m thinking this can help with humidity, and maybe Twila will take a little dip or a sip. I will be careful to keep the surrounding interior of the box dry.

Is this idea futile?

Thanks again!
Laura, Twila and Tobias

Attachments

• 242EBC13-55E1-4CBF-A270-4A94144417A0.jpeg
    242EBC13-55E1-4CBF-A270-4A94144417A0.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Current inks are thought to be quite safe and in fact if someone is going to deliver a baby out of the hospital, newspapers can be used as a ground cover.

OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Current inks are thought to be quite safe and in fact if someone is going to deliver a baby out of the hospital, newspapers can be used as a ground cover.
Letā€™s just hope babyā€™s first experience being read to isnā€™t from the front page! šŸ™ƒā˜ŗļø

Most Reactions

Latest posts