Bedtime battles

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Okay y'all, how do you get your parrots to climb in their cages for bedtime? I tried training them but Missy is just too clued up on that. I tried giving them treats and high praise after I wrestled them into the cage - yes it has come to wrestling them in. Missy flies off to the highest perch she can find and we wind up in a "Betcha can't catch me" chase around the main living room, and Gracie, who is still getting over the wing clipping from the breeder, so still can't fly.... well she can but it's a downwards trajectory all the way, I have to take her to her cage.
How can I train them to go to their cages without the Battle Royale every night. I tried target training but Missy knows what I am doing and simply won't do it. I also need to be able to get them into their cage when I need to go out so it's getting kind of desperate now.
Any suggestions please?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Okay y'all, how do you get your parrots to climb in their cages for bedtime? I tried training them but Missy is just too clued up on that. I tried giving them treats and high praise after I wrestled them into the cage - yes it has come to wrestling them in. Missy flies off to the highest perch she can find and we wind up in a "Betcha can't catch me" chase around the main living room, and Gracie, who is still getting over the wing clipping from the breeder, so still can't fly.... well she can but it's a downwards trajectory all the way, I have to take her to her cage.
How can I train them to go to their cages without the Battle Royale every night. I tried target training but Missy knows what I am doing and simply won't do it. I also need to be able to get them into their cage when I need to go out so it's getting kind of desperate now.
Any suggestions please?
Something that has worked well for me is:

If they are having a bad day, and just don't want to go in their cage, try turning the lights off and letting them sleep for about an hour, then putting them in their cage.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Something that has worked well for me is:

If they are having a bad day, and just don't want to go in their cage, try turning the lights off and letting them sleep for about an hour, then putting them in their cage.
I'll try that. Problem with doing it now is it doesn't get dark till late here, 9:30 pm so trying to get them into sleep is the battle. I'm thinking maybe I should extend bedtime an hour later? Gracie is the one that wants to go to bed early, Missy thinks she's all grown up and possibly a winged human, so she doesn't want to go to bed early with Gracie. The only reason I do get them to go to bed at a set time is so that I have a set time to relax without having to watch their every move, and, it gives me a chance to do things I can't do during the day on account of Missy wanting to do whatever it is I am doing too.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I'll try that. Problem with doing it now is it doesn't get dark till late here, 9:30 pm so trying to get them into sleep is the battle. I'm thinking maybe I should extend bedtime an hour later? Gracie is the one that wants to go to bed early, Missy thinks she's all grown up and possibly a winged human, so she doesn't want to go to bed early with Gracie. The only reason I do get them to go to bed at a set time is so that I have a set time to relax without having to watch their every move, and, it gives me a chance to do things I can't do during the day on account of Missy wanting to do whatever it is I am doing too.
Try to put them in a seperate room with curtians

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
put her up during her normal day nap quiet time. Pattern to soft music.

Building on short cage times during the day making it very postive.

This helps reset csge time to a positive relaxing time. Making bed time easier

After being very sick and having to cage mine during the day after they had been used to always being out, they screaming nonstop. Once I recovered, I did the above, until I had a Pattern and now cage them for an hour or two every day. So incase I ever need to, and to have a break.

Last edited:
OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Try to put them in a seperate room with curtians
See now that's an issue. The only other place I have, is my bedroom, and getting them there will be a battle because Missy, once again, will know what I am doing. I am constructing a new tree for them which will include their cage and storage for all their things. I'm doing this because I have to downsize. Eventually I am going to be in a one bedroom unit so I have to condense everything to fit.
I am going to extend their bedtime for 1 hour and yet still keep my same relax time. Maybe, the hope is, maybe that will be enough to get Missy to go to the cage of her own accord? All I can do is try.

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
Mine conures are not really tame but somehow we got to the point that I do not give them any treat or anything at least 1 hour before bedtime and when they see I got their food ( some veggies and some seeds) they go in the cage in short time.
It took us about half a year though to reach this . Important thing in my opinion is no chase. You will loose trust again...

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Mine conures are not really tame but somehow we got to the point that I do not give them any treat or anything at least 1 hour before bedtime and when they see I got their food ( some veggies and some seeds) they go in the cage in short time.
It took us about half a year though to reach this . Important thing in my opinion is no chase. You will loose trust again...
Yes exactly what I am thinking too. Last night was a horror show in my opinion and I don't want that. We all get stressed and I'm the only one that feels I have a win.
I've had to put off having my own dinner when they are free roaming as Missy always wants what I eat and it becomes ridiculous trying to keep her away whilst I eat. Tonight I won't be waiting anymore and I am extending their bedtime for 1 hour so it will be interesting to say the least.
I am concerned that they don't get enough sleep as people tell me they need something like 16 hours of sleep a night... in this house that is impossible.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Yes exactly what I am thinking too. Last night was a horror show in my opinion and I don't want that. We all get stressed and I'm the only one that feels I have a win.
I've had to put off having my own dinner when they are free roaming as Missy always wants what I eat and it becomes ridiculous trying to keep her away whilst I eat. Tonight I won't be waiting anymore and I am extending their bedtime for 1 hour so it will be interesting to say the least.
I am concerned that they don't get enough sleep as people tell me they need something like 16 hours of sleep a night... in this house that is impossible.
Woah, 16!?
12-14, not 16!
Unless they're babies.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
They're 4 months old. Even 12 to 14 is a struggle, especially in the summer months
I'd say keep it to 14-15 hours, but 12 is ok too, they'll take naps during the day if needed.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Yeah they play for about an hour then nap. Well I think that's what it is although they sometimes seems to be talking in their sleep.
They're probably awake when they do that, they'll wake up sometimes in the night.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
put her up during her normal day nap quiet time. Pattern to soft music.

Building on short cage times during the day making it very postive.

This helps reset csge time to a positive relaxing time. Making bed time easier

After being very sick and having to cage mine during the day after they had been used to always being out, they screaming nonstop. Once I recovered, I did the above, until I had a Pattern and now cage them for an hour or two every day. So incase I ever need to, and to have a break.
Brilliant idea I must try that.
Had a sort of win last night as instead of 7 pm being bedtime (At the moment it's still light until 9:30pm but they do get covered) I added an hour. Gracie, because she can't yet fly (breeder clipped her wings - they are growing back slowly) naturally feels insecure walking anywhere but her tree, so I help her to inside the cage... the door left open for Missy. Missy still flying about brought Gracie out of the cage but still one the cage.
I got my dinner and ate it..... of course Missy wanted some, and I usually put my foot down on this one because I don't want her to get the idea that she can eat anything I am eating but last night I caved and gave her some Naan bread. This appeased her somewhat but still I don't like doing it. I think that when I made the chop months ago, I, listening to everyone's advice, let her help me... now any food prep she thinks she can help me and we battle over that too.
Anyhow, around 7:45 Missy came to the cage and sat on it... she rarely does this... eventually she went in. I didn't shut the door immediately, I left it for a few minutes, gave then both a treat (pine nut pieces) then closed the door and covered them.
So all in all, it was stress-less.
I've also learnt that they are cranky first thing in the morning so now I let them come out of the cage by themselves... I wait until Missy is out before offering to help Gracie as she can't fly. This is stress-less for me too. I will be building a bird complex for them where their tree and cage, as well as all their food etc will be in one spot. Will take a photo of it when done to see if anyone can make any suggested changes or advice etc.
I do hope you are feeling better now, I have bouts of terrible pain sometimes and it has crossed my mind how to deal with the girls if I am in bed so the idea of testing and hour here or there while I am home is great.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Could you put wonderful food bribes in their cages and eat some in front of them?

Maybe learning to step up on a long handled t perch would help get them down?

Flapping exercises after dinner?

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Could you put wonderful food bribes in their cages and eat some in front of them?

Maybe learning to step up on a long handled t perch would help get them down?

Flapping exercises after dinner?
It's been awhile since I posted the original post and I'm having some success. Instead of "forcing" them both to go to bed (cage) together at 7pm, I left the time slot open and it turns out Missy's bedtime is about 50 minutes later. I don't immediately slap the cage door closed when she goes in either.... sometimes she will come out again and the go right back in, I leave it for a few minutes then I get up and go get their fave treat, pine nut pieces (yes not whole pine nuts but chopped pine nut pieces), and give them both a treat for being in the cage and lots of praise. If either of them come out of the cage whilst doing the "treating", I stop giving them treats.... if Gracie gets cranky at Missy getting a treat when she all out just swallowed hers, I don't give her a treat and tell her why. She does seem to get easily cranky at Missy.
My other problem with the caging of them is trying to get them into the cage when I have to go out... Missy simply fights it and because Gracie is still growing back her clipped wings, I can get her into the cage herself. Today, I have to go out so I will cage Gracie alone and Missy won't be. I am going to try treating Gracie the same way as I do at bedtime to see if Missy will go into the cage too. Fingers crossed.
What is flapping exercises? Is that where you have them sit on a finger and move your hand up and down fairly quickly to get them to flap?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It's been awhile since I posted the original post and I'm having some success. Instead of "forcing" them both to go to bed (cage) together at 7pm, I left the time slot open and it turns out Missy's bedtime is about 50 minutes later. I don't immediately slap the cage door closed when she goes in either.... sometimes she will come out again and the go right back in, I leave it for a few minutes then I get up and go get their fave treat, pine nut pieces (yes not whole pine nuts but chopped pine nut pieces), and give them both a treat for being in the cage and lots of praise. If either of them come out of the cage whilst doing the "treating", I stop giving them treats.... if Gracie gets cranky at Missy getting a treat when she all out just swallowed hers, I don't give her a treat and tell her why. She does seem to get easily cranky at Missy.
My other problem with the caging of them is trying to get them into the cage when I have to go out... Missy simply fights it and because Gracie is still growing back her clipped wings, I can get her into the cage herself. Today, I have to go out so I will cage Gracie alone and Missy won't be. I am going to try treating Gracie the same way as I do at bedtime to see if Missy will go into the cage too. Fingers crossed.
What is flapping exercises? Is that where you have them sit on a finger and move your hand up and down fairly quickly to get them to flap?
Yes, you do that gently. My Quaker likes to do that when he’s got a lot of energy but he wants to stay with or on me. We flap and then he stays and grooms or snuggles some more.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It sounds like you are working the problem out and bedtime is going easier.

I bet they thought the chase before bed was dramatic and maybe fun. I used to babysit some naughty little kids and I swear one would deliberately per her pants just to get a reaction. Mom didn’t handle it very well and it was clear those kids got much of their attention just by acting out.

It’s best with parrots to figure out how to avoid the problem rather than scold and try to fix it. Like covering up the bird when you vacuum around their cage instead of having to calm down bird hysteria.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Yes, you do that gently. My Quaker likes to do that when he’s got a lot of energy but he wants to stay with or on me. We flap and then he stays and grooms or snuggles some more.
I do this too for Apollo (who is clipped at the moment)! You just have to remember that some birds don't like it, so you have to give them treats after you do it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts